• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 5 QBs taken over the last 12 years

Cdparr7

13 hours ago, UpstatePantherfan said:

Go look at max duggan’s stats, he has improved every year for the last four years across the board, he has the size and measurable and he plays for TCU which Andy Dalton also played for (for all the “omg, such and such schools produce bad QBs” crowd)

plus we will draft his top WR in the 1st who is a bonafide first rounder anyway. I wonder if there is precedent for a QB and WR that played together in college to be drafted together by the same team. 

Looked at some Dugan video. He seems interesting. Really quick to run and I didn’t see a whole lot of going through progressions but throws a nice ball. Will wait for more video toward the end of the season. 

Who really impressed me was Quinten Johnson. By far the best looking WR I’ve seen so far this year, easily better than Marvin Harrison Jr.  Looks like Atlanta Julio Jones. Not even Alabama Julio, but Julio 2.0. 

14 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

A #1 pick doesn’t seem to do much justice unless you have a Luck or Newton in the draft- which there clearly isn’t this season. 

279489A8-6037-4D2A-9406-B87DAB700D7E.png

Which is what I've been saying this whole time and people are getting upset about it. You have to go BPA. If there is no Lawrence, Luck, Newton, Manning, Rivers, Joe Burrow, you don't take a QB. I don't think Stroud or Young are any of those guys. Would hate to get a Top 5 pick wrong.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Looked at some Dugan video. He seems interesting. Really quick to run and I didn’t see a whole lot of going through progressions but throws a nice ball. Will wait for more video toward the end of the season. 

Who really impressed me was Quinten Johnson. By far the best looking WR I’ve seen so far this year, easily better than Marvin Harrison Jr.  Looks like Atlanta Julio Jones. Not even Alabama Julio, but Julio 2.0. 

Give me Will Anderson or Marvin Harrison Jr. In the 1st. Roll with Corral and see what he can do to develop while getting all of the 1st team reps through the off-season. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Quinten and Addison are straight up stars.  Harrison will be as well.  And Smith-Nj should have a pretty smooth transition.  And Hyatt/Tillman in TEN look great.

Honestly, we could find a great potential 1-2 QB-WR in this draft if the cards fall correctly.  But no to any other spot than QB high.

Edited by saX man
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Which is what I've been saying this whole time and people are getting upset about it. You have to go BPA. If there is no Lawrence, Luck, Newton, Manning, Rivers, Joe Burrow, you don't take a QB. I don't think Stroud or Young are any of those guys. Would hate to get a Top 5 pick wrong.

You must remember the Texans taking David Carr over Julius Peppers. 

Of course they needed a QB, but Peppers was basically a slam dunk. 

4 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Hindsight is 20/20 about these prospects that you mentioned. Everyone of your mentioned QBs as prospect had a chance of being a bust during their respective draft class. Selecting BPA and ignoring QB when it's a desperate need is not a good idea. Take a chance on a QB prospect with potential, trust your scouts (that's what they do for a living), have a plan to groom and support him = fastest way to a turnaround. 

Look at Tua, he was considered a bust. But look at the new coaching overhaul and surrounding him with WR talent and the Dolphins look like a playoff team. 

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, UpstatePantherfan said:

I’ll be honest, I rather keep swinging and sign QBs from other teams until we nail one. I wouldn’t be made one bit if we swung for say a Davis Mills or Jacoby Brissett or some other veteran and just draft Quinten Johnston in the first round.

The definition of insanity. How is this any different than consecutive offseaons of Teddy, Sam, Baker, and yet we'd expect a different result?

Edited by X-Clown

Honestly I think it's more a testament to how important coaching and front office is. The teams that pick towards the top tend to be poorer run teams at least at the time of the pick. It's rare that a rookie qb single handedly changes the fortunes of the team on his ability alone. Cam might be one of the few examples and even it took a couple years for our management to build a better team around him. 

Hurts is a great example. He was trending towards being a bust. Then they get a good coaching staff and make some shrewd moves, namely trading for AJ Brown and now he's an MVP candidate. Similar story with Tua. Meanwhile Trevor Lawrence was one of the best prospects to come out in 20 years and he's been below average by most every metric. If he spent his rookie year with Andy Reid instead of Urban Meyer, how much better would he be? You could definitely argue us getting the coaching hire right is more important than which QB we draft. 

Edited by Peon Awesome
  • Pie 1

If P.J. does good the rest of the season at QB, I think the Panthers should  stay with him and Corral, while obtaining a veteran QB, if the top three QB's are gone before the Panthers pick in the 1st round.

With that sceniro in mind, I  would like to see them draft an additional outstanding WR to start along side DJ Moore with their # 1 pick..

My choice is: 

WR Quentin Johnston, TCU

The Panthers should sprint to the podium with this pick. Johnston is arguably the best wide receiver in next year's draft class, and he could have a Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones-Esque career in the league.

While Addison and Smith-Njigba are fine scheme-fit players, Johnston is an all-around talent.

He is one of the biggest wideouts (i 6' 4") n next year's class, he is amazingly productive, and he cannot be stopped with the ball in his hands, a rarity for a player of his size. If PJ or Corral is the starter in 2023, having Johnston in tow would be a huge help.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I feel like the 2021's college film looked way better than what we're seeing guys put up this year aside from Young and Hooker. Curious if teams learned their lesson reaching in that 2021 draft and will continue to be a little more patient picking QB's the way they were this past draft

Yeah…and never under estimate maturity in these guys.

Look at Wilson in NY, some of his comments have been fairly immature, not uncommon for one that young but they have to grow up fast when their performance affects 51 other players and their families specifically and the franchise in general 

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

A #1 pick doesn’t seem to do much justice unless you have a Luck or Newton in the draft- which there clearly isn’t this season. 

279489A8-6037-4D2A-9406-B87DAB700D7E.png

And this right here, is why I do not go along with the tank crowd. 

I had this exact conversation in the game day thread but was too lazy to put this together 

you play to win the game in the year you are in and then go get the player you want. 

it was good enough for Baltimore and the Chiefs who also had decent teams before they took the swing and had a veteran the new qb played behind 

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Yeah…and never under estimate maturity in these guys.

Look at Wilson in NY, some of his comments have been fairly immature, not uncommon for one that young but they have to grow up fast when their performance affects 51 other players and their families specifically and the franchise in general 

The more I read and see about Levis the more I think he's a tool. 

• Pie 2