• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Draft Picks

Stuart Smith

The offense is in an awkward position because all of their potential needs could be taken care of. Center and RB could be shored up by retaining Bozeman and Foreman. Needs at wide receiver, tight end, and OL depth could satisfied if TMJ, Shi, Tremble, and/or Mays develop.

On the other hand, the defense has seven returning starters next year but could use some depth at all levels. The team needs a starting LE, MLB, and NB. I don't see Henderson and Gross-Matos growing into two of their roles outside of being what they are.

Lots of questions at the moment, but thankfully we've got a lot of football left to evaluate.

10 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

Your either a contender or not what’s the point of costing ourselves assets for moral victories that shouldn’t matter to professionals 

WTF are you talking about? Those professionals all have limited shelf lives. Sure they'd prefer to play on a championship team, anyone would, but you'd be hard pressed to find any professional athlete that's made it to the top tier league of their sport who would rather lose games for a chance at a better year next year. None of them is guaranteed next year. 

I want a 1-2 round TE. If we do end up going QB in round 1 like everyone says, there's no better friend to a developing QB than a trusty great/elite TE. Look what Chud did with Cam, Olsen and Shockey in Cam's first year. We're currently back at Kris Mangum level starters at TE. We need to at least attempt to get back to Olsen level. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Panther'sBigD said:

WTF are you talking about? Those professionals all have limited shelf lives. Sure they'd prefer to play on a championship team, anyone would, but you'd be hard pressed to find any professional athlete that's made it to the top tier league of their sport who would rather lose games for a chance at a better year next year. None of them is guaranteed next year. 

Mate I want the way I see moral victories is winning with Vets starting that have a good chance not being here going forward. I want to see Brandon Smith starting, Barno, Robinson and Mcall greatly increase their snaps see what we have in Cade at center. If Corral wasn’t hurt should be our starting QB. We’ve started doing it with our WRs and I love it. If we win with our young talent playing bulk of the snaps they’re not moral victories they’re valuable roster building victories 

8 hours ago, pantherj said:

I want a center who is more athletic, faster, and explosive.

You need a mauler at center. I am so tired on seeing this team get in the “Red Zone” and having to either pass or do an end around run because we could not get enough push to impose our will on the defense. We need Bozeman. 

• Beer 1

On 11/2/2022 at 7:42 PM, Soul Rebel said:

I might be an optimist, but I think if we handle the next two offseasons correctly, we can compete for the post season in '25. Rather than have a fire sale and go full rebuild, I think there's a lot of goods in the cupboard. Wilks has already shown that a somewhat competent HC can have these guys playing better.

OFFENSE:

I see the following positions as locked in:

• LT - Ickey
  • C - Bozeman (re-sign ASAP)
  • RG - Corbett
  • RT - Moton
  • WR1/2 (wherever you think Moore slots in)
  • TE2 - Tremble would be great in a 12 personnel deployment and help the OL as a blocker that can get out in space if needed and haul in some receptions, but not as a TE1. 
  • RB2 - I'd like to see an OC that actually brings more balance and rotates RBs throughout the game. No more grinding the RB1 into the ground while capable backs can contribute, but ride the pine. Foreman is young enough, brings a physicality that would compliment a speedy/elusive pass-catching back.

Potential answer long-term, but still questionable: 

• I think TMJ-Laviska can be your complimentary WRs along with Moore. An OC and QB1 that can get them the ball helps too. 
  • Christiansen. He's held up decently at LG....not sure if he's "the guy" but alongside a potential elite LT and very strong anchor a C, he could be the weakest of the five OL and still be decent. Plus he's young.

DEFENSE:

I see the following positions as locked in:

• DE1 - Burns
  • DT1 - Brown
  • LB - Luvu
  • CB1 - Horn
  • S/LB - Chinn (would prefer we ran two LBs and three S with Chinn being better utilized in a LB/Rover role)
  • S - Woods

Potential answer long-term, but still questionable: 

• CB2,CB3 & CB4 - Jackson is good if Horn is the alpha. Jackson as the CB1 is no bueno....plus he's oft-injured. I think one of Henderson/Taylor shakes out. I really like Taylor's complete package as a boundary corner. In an ideal world, all four stick around and mesh well together playing the hot hand.
  • LB2 - Brandon Smith. In my ideal scenario, Smith gets a lot of PT this year to get acclimated. We move on from Shaq in '23 and have Luvu/Smith as our primary backers with Chinn supporting as a third LB in different packages. This is probably '24 and beyond TBH.

NEEDS:

Tier 1 Needs: QB1, TE1 , RB1, DE2, DT2

Tier 2 Needs: WR, LB, S

I like your breakdown but I think we have a RB1 in Foreman. He is proving to be the bell cow we need. We need to resign him asap an maybe get a scat back that can catch and make plays for screens for RB2

On 11/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, NJPanthers12 said:

Quarterback and then every other pick should be used on weapons and offensive lineman to surround him with. hopefully someone in this pathetic organization learned their mistakes with Cam. Our in house Jack Easterby can make sure to tell them how they did nothing at all to help Cam. 

They really should have just drafted Von Miller if they had little plans on helping the QB picked #1 overall.