• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dolphins extend Chubb

Mr. Scot

11 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Draft picks value decrease as well. Essentially the Rams offered us a 2nd and a 3rd. And depending on where that team is....in the future....those picks could be a late 2nd and late 3rd. Would have been moronic to take those "1st's". The coach after our next coach would have loved to have them I guess.

As an asset used in making trades. A 1st down the line depreciates.

As an actual draft pick. A 1st down the line is still a 1st rounder. 

In case that was a clerical error, or brain fart. 

7 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Thanks to the franchise tag, we will always have the leverage. Declining the trade does not provide any leverage to burns. I’m actually interested in how you think us not trading creates “leverage” for burns 

I've said in another post that Burns needs to stay here.

As I have said before why not let the new coach and hopefully GM decide? He’s on track for a record year for him so his value is not going anywhere…will be more attractive for top HC candidates for as well I’m sure.

Don’t have to tag him until 2024…just wait, plenty of time. I know he wants a new contract but that won’t be effected either way time wise.

1 hour ago, Gerry Green said:

As an asset used in making trades. A 1st down the line depreciates.

As an actual draft pick. A 1st down the line is still a 1st rounder. 

In case that was a clerical error, or brain fart. 

I was speaking straight from a trade negotiation standpoint. The front office was looking at a 2nd a 3rd equivalent. All front offices use trade charts and that's how they would have weighed this offer.

Edited by Luciu5

7 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

I was speaking straight from a trade negotiation standpoint. The front office was looking at a 2nd a 3rd equivalent. All front offices use trade charts and that's how they would have weighed this offer.

Gotcha. I was just spinning it so it slanted to my favor. Yeah, that's the ticket,

I think many are looking at draft “value” incorrectly. Here’s why….

If we make the trade next year this time for the Rams 1st rounders in ‘24 & ‘25, many would applaud the move because it’s the “current” year’s first. 

Reality is if you make the trade now, you can take advantage of the devalued future picks by asking for more compensation. A 2023 3rd or 4th rounder, for example. You should use those perceptions to work in your favor by acquiring more now.

——————
Assets the same now versus a year from now:

2024 1st and 2025 1st

Pros to trading now:

Acquire more draft capital or a player in exchange for the “devalued future picks” 

Pros to making the trade a year from now:

Another year of Burns playing DE for the Panthers.

——————

It’s the same picks now vs a year from now. You can’t say it’s a good trade then, but bad now. If you’re going to make the trade, you absolutely do it now to cash in more. We’re a couple years out from making a run, so the additional games from Burns isn’t an asset to me unless you plan to extend him. 

It seems obvious we’ve decided he’s going to be the cornerstone of our defense over the next 5-10 years. Hopefully he’s worth it. I think he can be.