• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq says Wilks is bringing back the Panthers to what they used to be.

rayzor

22 hours ago, bigdog10 said:

I’m grateful that the guys believe in Wilks. I genuinely want him to do well. But, I’m not interested in what the panthers used to be. What we’ve been is nothing more than an inconsistent mess for the better part of 25 years. That game last week was a perfect description of our history. A few really high highs followed by some really low lows with a whole lot of meh in the middle. 

We need to demand better than what we used to be. If Wilks and Shaq can’t deliver that, then it’s time to look elsewhere. 

Just being a competitive  football team is not the bar that we need to be shooting for. We need to win. 

Not sure where you get Wilks just wants us competitive.  

That was an awful rant. 

47 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

1-2 under wilks. Still kinda like old ways. 

Agreed.  Wilks should have demanded that the kicker make one of those two kicks to win the game last week!  That loss is on him for forgetting to tell the kicker to not miss. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Purr said:

Agreed.  Wilks should have demanded that the kicker make one of those two kicks to win the game last week!  That loss is on him for forgetting to tell the kicker to not miss. 

Meh.  As always there were a lot of contributing factors for why we lost that game.    The kicker sucked, for sure, but  no other team wanted him, so we knew he was scraps.  Wilks put all his chips on him anyway.

We ran it up the gut on 3 and 12  to settle for a field goal for our first score.  Even the announcer said he was surprised by that call.  Wilks is VERY conservative.  But hey, we threw past the line of scrimmage two weeks in a row now, so we have that.

Edited by poundaway

15 hours ago, mc52beast said:

So what was it about Rhule that these guys gushed about him?

Who knows?  There are several common things that happen when a micro-managing manager/coach/supervisor is in charge

• A strange form of Stockholm Syndrome
  • People naturally settle into the "devil we know is better than the devil we don't"
  • Fear of retribution
  • I just work here, will do my time, punch out, cash my paycheck, and someday eventually leave

The Process might now have been openly hostile to the players.  He might have been a nice guy in the locker room and even to everyone most of the time. 

But, it is quite common in sports for players to be supportive of their coach, no matter how awful, until they leave the team.  Unless you are a star, a coach can do a lot of damage to a career.  Getting shipped elsewhere is actually one of the better outcomes.

I think Wilks is better than Rivera. I think people legit loved Rivera, but he didn't pull the best out of the guys around him. That's what I see Wilks do. 

And it's not just about being competitive. It's about becoming and bringing their best. 

I've wanted an offensive guru for a head coach here, but the effect that he's having on the team is making me reconsider. An offensive guru is a shiny toy I want because it's the popular thing (for good reason)... But it's a trend and chasing me the trend could make Tepper chase after the wrong guy. 

Truthfully I just want to win and I don't care what mindset the HC has as long as it's aggressive and it brings the absolute best out of his guys. 

• Pie 2

58 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I think Wilks is better than Rivera. I think people legit loved Rivera, but he didn't pull the best out of the guys around him. That's what I see Wilks do. 

And it's not just about being competitive. It's about becoming and bringing their best. 

I've wanted an offensive guru for a head coach here, but the effect that he's having on the team is making me reconsider. An offensive guru is a shiny toy I want because it's the popular thing (for good reason)... But it's a trend and chasing me the trend could make Tepper chase after the wrong guy. 

Truthfully I just want to win and I don't care what mindset the HC has as like Ng as it's aggressive and it brings the abolsolute best out of his guys. 

I truly think he needs a 2 or 3 year deal if top prospects don't want us. Still a coach like Kellen Moore or Shane Steichen could provide exactly what Wills is doing and probably have a better pool of people to pull from. 

1 hour ago, Snake said:

I truly think he needs a 2 or 3 year deal if top prospects don't want us. Still a coach like Kellen Moore or Shane Steichen could provide exactly what Wills is doing and probably have a better pool of people to pull from. 

maybe. i just don't know what kind of impact they have on the players, but maybe what they bring as a guru will compensate for anything they lack as a "leader of men" compared to Wilks. 

whoever it is, though...i don't want a 7 year contract offered to them. 5 years max. 3 years ideal.

• Beer 1