• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former NFL executive picks his top QB...

Mr. Scot

The article makes it sound like he was dropped into some random D3 school. Kentucky has been a top-25 team at times for several years while playing in the SEC, so I’m not buying the total lack of talent argument.

They’ve always struck me as the kind of team that could be elevated by good QB play, it’s just been way too infrequent this year.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

...and it's not who you'd expect.

From the article...

I did an impromptu poll with four NFL scouts I trust, and three of them told me he was the best quarterback in the draft. One NFC scout told me, “This [season] is an audition for him to go to a poor NFL team. He proved he can take a beating and keep getting up.” Added another NFC scout: “It is a miracle that he keeps playing every week after all of the hits he takes. He is more banged up than people think — much more.”

Levis has all of the tools NFL teams look for. He has the arm, size, toughness, intelligence and enough athletic ability. He runs an NFL offense at Kentucky and can manage a huddle, which many people discount. When studying Levis, there are some ugly games; that has been the history of Kentucky football. As an evaluator, you have to look at what surrounds the quarterback and who they are playing week in and week out.

Almost every time Levis steps on the field his teammates are inferior to the ones on the other team, which is a big deal. If you are the quarterback at Alabama you are protected by future NFL offensive linemen, you are throwing to future first-round draft picks and you are handing off to NFL-type running backs.

I have been in NFL draft rooms where the discussion around a quarterback from a top-5 school is seen as a negative because they never get hit and never feel stress. An NFL game is all stress and conflict. Levis will be more prepared for the NFL than if he played for Alabama, Ohio State or Clemson.

I have more faith in what guys like this say than what many talking heads say.  

When I watched Levis against Tennessee I watched typical QB moves not thinking as a scout.  The stress never crossed my mind.  

I will listen to more about the others as the season ends and evaluation of these QBs really gets deep.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Career Accomplishments (FBS Totals at Wyoming): In his two seasons as the starting quarterback for the University of Wyoming, Josh Allen led the Wyoming Cowboys to two consecutive eight-win seasons, two consecutive bowl appearances and he concluded his college career with a 37-14 victory in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, earning Most Valuable Player honors for the bowl win.  He was named the North Team Most Outstanding Player in the 2018 Senior Bowl, and participated in the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine.  Over his Wyoming career, Allen accounted for 5,833 ya rds of total offense, including 5,066 passing yards and 767 rushing yards.  He was responsible for 57 touchdowns forhis career (44 passing, 12 rushing and 1 receiving).  He threw 44 touchdown passes vs. 21 interceptions.  His combined record as a starter in 2016 and ‘17 was 16-9 for a 64.0 winning percentage.  Wyoming was 8-6 in 2016 with Allen as the starter and was 8-3 in the 11 games Allen started in 2017.  The junior missed the final two regular-season games of 2017 due to a right shoulder injury, but he returned to play a n outstanding game in Wyoming’s bowl victory.  Graduated inDecember 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in social science.

Josh Allen 44TD's, 21 Int's

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

“It is a miracle that he keeps playing every week after all of the hits he takes. He is more banged up than people think — much more.”

How is this a good thing? Dude is going to be used up by the time he gets to the NFL.

• Pie 3

46 minutes ago, stirs said:

Career Accomplishments (FBS Totals at Wyoming): In his two seasons as the starting quarterback for the University of Wyoming, Josh Allen led the Wyoming Cowboys to two consecutive eight-win seasons, two consecutive bowl appearances and he concluded his college career with a 37-14 victory in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, earning Most Valuable Player honors for the bowl win.  He was named the North Team Most Outstanding Player in the 2018 Senior Bowl, and participated in the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine.  Over his Wyoming career, Allen accounted for 5,833 ya rds of total offense, including 5,066 passing yards and 767 rushing yards.  He was responsible for 57 touchdowns forhis career (44 passing, 12 rushing and 1 receiving).  He threw 44 touchdown passes vs. 21 interceptions.  His combined record as a starter in 2016 and ‘17 was 16-9 for a 64.0 winning percentage.  Wyoming was 8-6 in 2016 with Allen as the starter and was 8-3 in the 11 games Allen started in 2017.  The junior missed the final two regular-season games of 2017 due to a right shoulder injury, but he returned to play a n outstanding game in Wyoming’s bowl victory.  Graduated inDecember 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in social science.

Josh Allen 44TD's, 21 Int's

Allen was a pure raw talent pick. Levis isn't in the same universe as Josh Allen on raw talent.

Also remember Levis will be a 24 year old rookie. Interesting how everyone wants to mention Hooker's age and I see very few mentioning that Levis is nearly as old. That definitely factors into the development and ceiling equation. Those guys should be significantly further along than prospects significantly younger. They're basically men amongst boys 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Allen was a pure raw talent pick. Levis isn't in the same universe as Josh Allen on raw talent.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Probably not, but was just trying to give some perspective the ones who say it is all about TDs vs INT's