• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Future “Coach” Kuechly?

ncfan

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Luke is one of the rare great players who I could see being a great coach.

Vrabel is a very good coach in TEN, producing a lot with a FO making pretty strange moves.  And with that being said, I can see Luke being SOOO much better than that guy.  

If this possibility is bettered with Wilks as HC, I'd be inclined to ramp up the OC/AHC search pronto in tandem with a HC search.  I imagine we'd want to see what Wilks could align with to compare to a potential staff of another HC.  

Reich, Bevell, or maybe Brian Johnson?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/could-eagles-lose-qb-coach-brian-johnson-head-coach-job

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Luke is one of the rare great players who I could see being a great coach.

Yeah, most great players don't make great coaches because they could do at a very high level, but that doesn't mean they can teach others how to do at that level. Kuechly, like Peyton Manning, seems like he might fit into a different category: players whose in depth knowledge of the game was a key part of their greatness. 

Anytime anyone mentions Kuechly as a coach I go back to that clip of an opposing player for one of his top 100 appearances who talked about Kuechly not only calling out their play pre snap, but calling out the audibled play as well. 

One of my continuing frustrations with the Panthers over the years almost no matter who is wearing the HC headset, has been how craptacular we seem to be at making halftime or any sort of ingame adjustments. The Broncos players in the Super Bowl were literally laughing incredulously at the fact that with two weeks to prepare, we didn't make any changes to the gameplan we'd been using all season.  This is borderline coaching incompetence, and something Kuechly appears more than capable of winning the chess match, to say nothing of showing up and thinking chess works like checkers the way most of our conservative stuck in the mud head coaches have over the years.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, toldozer said:

The past few times I've seen Luke he's looked at his playing weight.  Just saying

I can confirm he has been working out at BoA with players at least once per week. For the last 5 weeks.

No idea the intentions of the working out at BoA, probably just likes the atmosphere. 

note: a lot of former panther players still work out at BoA stadium

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 2

Luke was like having a QB on the field at the LB position. But we've never seen what he can do as a coach and what kind of scheme he would come up with. His preparation is ELITE and I think that he could actually be a better coach than he was a player. He likely has a lot of guys in his ear trying to get him to coach. 

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If Wilks can get Luke on staff, Wilks is my dude.

As nuts as Luke was as a player, his OCD level film prep will be excellent as a HC.

I am frankly not sold on Wilks yet, and I say that speaking as someone who absolutely loves the idea of a local guy being the HC. What has been said about him being a man of his word and shooting straight, those things are awesome and show character, something I'm very much in favor of. But I think we should all slow our roll about the team's performance right now, because I think Fhule was so incompetent (which the players not named Robbie Anderson had figured out), so full of himself and so disingenous that basically anyone else would look like Rudy to them once Fhule was gone.

I think we should see how Wilks interim tenure the rest of the season plays out, and in the offseason he shouldn't default be handed the position, but compared as dispassionately against other candidates as possible. I doubt Kuechly is going to join his staff before the end of the season, but it goes without saying I'd be a fan of Kuechly being on the coaching staff regardless of who our HC is.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Broncos players in the Super Bowl were literally laughing incredulously at the fact that with two weeks to prepare, we didn't make any changes to the gameplan we'd been using all season.  

I'll never forget that Broncos LB in the post-game talking about that. He wasn't even gleeful about it. He was legit baffled. Borderline stunned. What he'd just experienced in the biggest game of his career was absolutely unbelievable to him based on his experience playing in the NFL. Just flat out embarrassing.

• Beer 3