• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilkes respected around the league. Will be someone's head coach next year.

panthers55

8 minutes ago, PantherFanInPhilly said:

When the "hire Wilks" chatter started several games back, I was not on board at all. Now I'm second guessing that but still incredibly torn. I do love that he's made this team competitive under such dire circumstances but I can't help from being scared that it would be a big mistake to give him the job. Ugh. 

would u feel this way if the panthers weren't competing for the playoffs in the worst division of all time yet had the same record

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

I don't understand the McAdoo hate. Since Wilks told him to run the offense, we have established a dominant run game and used Darnold effectively. While averaging 26 points a game.

It's his pass play design, the route concepts are not innovative and stale. We need someone who can scheme players to get open, not hope a player gets open. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If we say win out and retain Wilks is there not a chance he keeps mcadoo?

If we win out, I really hope Tepper & Fit don't think it means run this all back, and I doubt they do.

We've got to get better, you don't ride on past accomplishments, have to keep building. They don't strike me as going into 2023 content with this entire staff after Wilks has basically stumbled into the remnants.  Ran into the cockpit and figured out a decent landing with who was already on board.  I'd definitely consider him for HC but would basically mandate if he did to interview and pitch his vision for this team & offense.  

Need to be ahead of things, I would hate to walk into the offseason content with our squad because we hung onto things in a flailing division.  I haven't unseen the Bengals, Ravens, & Steelers games.  Those were Wilks-McAdoo ones as much as this Lions win was.

We need better than an offense entirely reliant on a running game.  Balanced juggernaut approach where either running or pass can win the game.  

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

I don't understand the McAdoo hate. Since Wilks told him to run the offense, we have established a dominant run game and used Darnold effectively. While averaging 26 points a game.

Same here. My only issue is an underwhelming passing game which may have more to do with the inconsistencies at QB prior to Darnold’s reemergence.  The offense has shown more life during the month or so than it has during the last 2 seasons under Rhule. But we’re still 3rd in the league in 3-and-outs despite our success in running the football. That tells me we need to do more to improve our passing and I hope whoever our HC ultimately is,  Tepper, Fitt and co will make this a point of emphasis this off-season.

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

19 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

This.  Wilkes has done an amazing job turning around what once appeared to be a lost season and McAdoo, like Wilkes, is working largely with a team constructed by Rhule.  If the Panthers end up winning these last two games it will be hard not to give McAdoo some credit for that success as well.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

In my mind, Wilks has beaten teams that he's supposed to beat, but he let some get away by being out-coached, flat out conservative and either unwilling to, or incapable of, adapting (mainly Pittsburgh and Atlanta). This makese skeptical that he can compete with the best strategists in the league. But, if we hire him, I'll most certainly support him (until I don't). 

Sometimes when you get what you ask for, you get what you ask for. 

Lets not forget: Pittsburgh basically beat the poo out of us, as did Cinci even more so.

Edited by top dawg

27 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

would u feel this way if the panthers weren't competing for the playoffs in the worst division of all time yet had the same record

The 1-4 start when he wasn’t HC is part of “his” record though. 

Being in contention is great, but if we were already eliminated, it would not take away from what he has done with the team once promoted. 

• Pie 1