• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: Panthers had 2nd highest offensive improvement since midseason, but also biggest defensive dropoff

Holcomb isnt a great DC.  The defense was better with Snow because we have a lot of specialized players on defense and Snow utilized it will aggressive blitzes from all over the field.   Holcomb relies on the front 4 to get pressure and it just doesnt work as well.  Maybe that's an indictment on our dline but you have to call plays for the players you have and adjust. 

• Flames 2

3 hours ago, t96 said:

I know we’re all high on him right now but honestly same goes for Wilks… He’s got the boys playing hard and winning some games but I think that’s just a short term boost mainly driven by getting rid of Rhule. And we do have a much better roster than most give credit for. I don’t see Wilks being a successful HC long term and he was never a great DC either. Really like him as a coach, amazing assistant HC and secondary/defensive pass game coach, but not HC or even DC material.

People like to rag on Rhule for being amateurish and that’s def true but imo it’s true of wilks also. Players seem to like him but I wonder how much that has to do with how bad Rhule ruined team chemistry 

4 hours ago, hepcat said:

If they keep Wilks, let him stock the defense with his guys. He's been here 1 season. The DEs are tiny and get bulldozed. The LBs aside from Shaq are nobodies. 

Luvu is on par with Shaq imo. Both are above average NFL LBs.

Edited by ECHornet
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

You know what else hurts?

No depth in the secondary 

Being 2 LBs shy

Being a real 5 technique shy

Chinn at safety

We need a real safety so we can move Chinn back in the box.  It's basically 2 picks/players for 1.  Who was the last solid safety we have had?  

• Pie 1

Holcomb is not a good DC.  He was absolutely horrendous in Arizona.  Our D has definitely taken a step back, look at the the 35 points scored in the first half of the Bengals game.  They scored a touchdown every time they touched the ball.  Mixon ran all over us.  The Steelers ran all over us.

The offense has certainly improved.  The D has gotten worse.

If we win the last two games and Tepper hires Wilks, just be prepared for Holcomb and McAdoo as coordinators next year.  No OC is going to come here as a lateral move. 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, t96 said:

I know we’re all high on him right now but honestly same goes for Wilks… He’s got the boys playing hard and winning some games but I think that’s just a short term boost mainly driven by getting rid of Rhule. And we do have a much better roster than most give credit for. I don’t see Wilks being a successful HC long term and he was never a great DC either. Really like him as a coach, amazing assistant HC and secondary/defensive pass game coach, but not HC or even DC material.

Our great roster with zero TE's, 1 WR, no QB, run stopping DE, no MLB, no CB depth.

• Pie 1