• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: Panthers had 2nd highest offensive improvement since midseason, but also biggest defensive dropoff

https://theathletic.com/4035373/2022/12/27/nfl-power-rankings-week-16/

From their power rankings this week. Scroll down a bit to see the charts. Panthers went from 30th offensive rank to 12th. Dumping Baker Mayfield and spreading out the offense rather than spamming to Mccaffery has done good.

As for the defense... If Tepper decides to keep Wilks I hope Wilks drops Holcolmb like a hot bag of flaming poo.

Edited by Sean Payton's Vicodin
  • Pie 1

9 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

He will definitely keep Holcomb, just like Rivera had a hard time parting with Richards and Washington. Wilks said Holcomb is essentially his version of Phil Snow.

And Holcomb is really bad.

Holcomb was a Rhule hire… I don’t see it. When did Wilks say that? I recall him saying Holcomb has done a good job of adopting his defensive play style and running with it … but that was the most of it. Holcomb will stay on as a D-Line/LBer guys at the most.

If I’m not mistaken, there has also been a lot of injuries to the defense in the second half….especially to the secondary but also on the d-line. Also, I’m going to guess that if Wilks is retained, then we will see a lot of new players coming in to the defense…specifically in the d-line and LB’s. I recall an article that indicated that Wilks did not think the d-like was heavy enough and also thought Snow was running a college defense which indicates he did not agree with the players chosen. 

16 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Holcomb was a Rhule hire… I don’t see it. When did Wilks say that? I recall him saying Holcomb has done a good job of adopting his defensive play style and running with it … but that was the most of it. Holcomb will stay on as a D-Line/LBer guys at the most.

https://www.panthers.com/news/al-holcomb-dj-moore-brian-burns-coaching-philosophy

When he took over as interim head coach, Wilks promoted Holcomb, who started this season as an assistant head coach on defense. It reunited the duo as head coach and defensive play-caller; in 2018, Wilks and Holcomb were a head coach-defensive coordinator duo for one season with the Cardinals.

Thursday, in his first press conference since his promotion, Holcomb reflected on his relationship with Wilks and their similar styles. The two have frequently worked together since they met here in 2013 when Holcomb started as linebackers coach and Wilks was a second-year defensive backs coach under Ron Rivera. Before heading to Arizona, they contributed to the Panthers' defensive game plans together from 2013-17. After the 2018 Cardinals stint, they went to Cleveland, where Wilks worked as defensive coordinator and Holcomb as linebackers coach in 2019.

Holcomb said "they hit off right away" upon meeting, sharing similar philosophies in everything from how they coach players to attention to detail, preparation, and staff decisions.

"It's been a good journey," Holcomb said. "I think it's been the last eight, nine, 10 years or something like that. We've become pretty close."

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

https://www.panthers.com/news/al-holcomb-dj-moore-brian-burns-coaching-philosophy

When he took over as interim head coach, Wilks promoted Holcomb, who started this season as an assistant head coach on defense. It reunited the duo as head coach and defensive play-caller; in 2018, Wilks and Holcomb were a head coach-defensive coordinator duo for one season with the Cardinals.

Thursday, in his first press conference since his promotion, Holcomb reflected on his relationship with Wilks and their similar styles. The two have frequently worked together since they met here in 2013 when Holcomb started as linebackers coach and Wilks was a second-year defensive backs coach under Ron Rivera. Before heading to Arizona, they contributed to the Panthers' defensive game plans together from 2013-17. After the 2018 Cardinals stint, they went to Cleveland, where Wilks worked as defensive coordinator and Holcomb as linebackers coach in 2019.

Holcomb said "they hit off right away" upon meeting, sharing similar philosophies in everything from how they coach players to attention to detail, preparation, and staff decisions.

"It's been a good journey," Holcomb said. "I think it's been the last eight, nine, 10 years or something like that. We've become pretty close."

Thanks for sharing this article, but I am having trouble finding the part that Wilks said Holcomb is essentially his Phil Snow. 

2 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Holcomb is a great coach. He’s is not a good coordinator. 

I know we’re all high on him right now but honestly same goes for Wilks… He’s got the boys playing hard and winning some games but I think that’s just a short term boost mainly driven by getting rid of Rhule. And we do have a much better roster than most give credit for. I don’t see Wilks being a successful HC long term and he was never a great DC either. Really like him as a coach, amazing assistant HC and secondary/defensive pass game coach, but not HC or even DC material.

• Pie 5