• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So How did Norman and Darnold play?

YourLastThought

18 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Darnold solidified himself as the veteran/backup/stopgap for me. He's like a notch above Derek Anderson. He can't carry but he's an effective game manager when the pass protection holds up.

Eh....that's not a terrible comparison but Anderson's highs were much higher than Darnold and his lows were also higher. That is what makes DA better, IMO. He was a generally steadier guy, although not particularly spectacular.

That's definitely a good guy for Darnold to try and become. DA had a nice career as a backup QB.

• Pie 3

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Norman barely played. Darnold played well minus the turnovers. Unfortunately, Sam Darnold turning the ball over is a recurring theme and pretty much what I anticipated would happen as soon as our D and running game couldn't dominate the game. Anytime you're forced to pass with Sam Darnold you're highly likely to lose. That's just the unfortunate reality and it has played out time and time again throughout his career. Great guy. Backup QB.

Agreed. Darnold played better with the lead. Playing from behind he just looks nervous.  
On another thought , our OC play calling suffered after the 1st Qtr.  Our receivers can’t seem to find the open spots in zones like opponents. 

• Pie 2

42 minutes ago, pantherdad said:

Let’s not forget Wilks playing pussy ball not going for it on 4th and 1 and 4th and inches….twice. Turnovers be damned. 

You're really messing with fire if you're trying to play Brady in a phone booth.  He has to be given as little time with the ball and as few possessions as possible, even this version of him in the final moments of his career.  I really didn't like that move even when we were dominating the game.

Edited by The NFL Shield At Midfield
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, KatsAzz said:

Sam Darnold was not the reason the Panthers lost. The absence of Jaycee Horn and Donte Jackson are the real story.

Evans had touchdown receptions of 57, 63, and 30-yards. That was their entire offense and the Panthers would have been a playoff team with a slightly better, or healthier, secondary.

This. This. This.

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, OceanPanther said:

Agreed. Darnold played better with the lead. Playing from behind he just looks nervous.  
On another thought , our OC play calling suffered after the 1st Qtr.  Our receivers can’t seem to find the open spots in zones like opponents. 

Yeah.   He is not as poised when the pressure is on. In his defense, he was able to play decent after the INT and fumble.  Seemed to be more comfortable than last year.  Not the answer at QB for sure, but played better than I thought possible. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Actually your unwillingness to give him the credit he deserves is the pathetic part.  His touchdown passes were great as was his overall game. Yes the interception cost us three but the strip sack wasn't on him that was Ickey all the way. He played a pretty good game with 350 yards in the air.  Darnold is head and shoulders above where he was all of last year. McAdoo has done a great job developing him this year. Darnold isn't great but his 104 passer rating is in the top 10 so he isn't the same guy he was on the past. Anyone who is not totally biased sees that easily.

You sound triggered. Did I hit a nerve?

Darnold is better than he has been. The problem is that he still isn't good. That has quite literally been the problem his entire career.

Anyone who wants a backup caliber QB starting for us probably was also pumped about Teddy, Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinickie, PJ Walker, Will Grier, etc, etc, etc. 

This is why I say this fanbase has Stockholm Syndrome. We are so cultured to seeing subpar QB play that some of you guys literally don't remember what it looks like.

• Poo 1

2 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

Norman barely played at all. 

Darnold played well, he had some turnovers though. His interception was a good read but a bad throw. The fumble that cost the game was a blindside hit where ickey got made to look like a turnstile and Darnold had no time to throw because of it.  He got hit pretty fast on that play. 

Let’s also not forget that the refs gifted the Bucs a penalty that backed us up to the 13 as opposed to calling the facemask on the Bucs which would have resulted in us having the ball at the 38. That completely changes the complexion of that drive and what plays we call in that situation. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Norman didn't factor in much. Darnold showed his normal self, although a better overall version. He had two back-breaking blunders that led to TO's. 

Given how badly our other CB's got roasted by Evans, I am a little surprised they didn't move Norman over there at some point to try and stop Evans. But, the coaching staff has got roasted enough for that.

Darnold is who we thought he was. That has never changed, even with his improvements. Panthers QB Stockholm Syndrome is in full effect however. You will see a sizeable gaggle of posters that slobber over him with the same fervor they did when we traded for him. It's pretty pathetic.

You really hate these people, don't you?  lol

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You sound triggered. Did I hit a nerve?

Darnold is better than he has been. The problem is that he still isn't good. That has quite literally been the problem his entire career.

Anyone who wants a backup caliber QB starting for us probably was also pumped about Teddy, Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinickie, PJ Walker, Will Grier, etc, etc, etc. 

This is why I say this fanbase has Stockholm Syndrome. We are so cultured to seeing subpar QB play that some of you guys literally don't remember what it looks like.

Of course I don't get triggered but your insistence on trashing Darnold at every turn needs to be noted and I did so. And I think many of us have been here since the beginning and know what great QB play looks like. You can't get Stockholm Syndrome unless you have been traumatized. Many of us can detach themselves from the game and keep their perspective. 

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Eh....that's not a terrible comparison but Anderson's highs were much higher than Darnold and his lows were also higher. That is what makes DA better, IMO. He was a generally steadier guy, although not particularly spectacular.

That's definitely a good guy for Darnold to try and become. DA had a nice career as a backup QB.

I disagree but that's because I don't really count Darnold's first stint for various reasons. DA throwing a pick on the opening play is pretty low. Darnold had a couple of genuine dimes and even a Newtonian escape from pressure yesterday. 

• Pie 1