• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith didn't make the HOF cut??

SHU

4 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

When you include return yards and tds and rushing yards and TDs he widens his gap on tons of other guys.

Plus his blocking. The only contemporary in the run game to rival him was Hines Ward.

Hines and Steve were the two best blockers of his era.

Very true. Tough to ignore Smittys return ability from a statistical point of view. 

When you start talking about all the parts of his game that weren't quantifiable on the stat sheet like his height, toughness, who he had throwing him the ball most his career, playing on a heavy run first team and as you mentioned his commitment to do his part in the ground game.... 

Just gets harder and harder to make sense of. 

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Players can be nominated by anyone and the HOF committee, all media people from the various NFL cities, elects the finalist...it's almost like some media people don't like Smith. I have no idea why...

This process is 100% subjective so we can drop the fair conversation because it really has no place in the HOF equation. SB wins matter, being respected by the media is necessary and stats are not the deciding factor in getting in. To me it looks like being respected and well-liked are the top factors to getting in. Sound familiar? 

Well while he was playing he didn't like them either.  Steve pretty much hated everyone except John Casey and Jake Delhomme as a player.  Could be some saltiness still around for Steve.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well while he was playing he didn't like them either.  Steve pretty much hated everyone except John Casey and Jake Delhomme as a player.  Could be some saltiness still around for Steve.

People not liking Smith? No way! lol

It is absolutely the reason he isn't going in over some of the other competition. 

• Pie 1

The HOF is so much a popularity contest.  Smith was a competitive asshole.  He's mellowed out in retirement, but the spice still comes out.  You can't ever take that from him.  On the field, he was a nightmare for defenders physically and getting in their heads.  While no one can doubt that Smith was basically unstoppable, his biggest issue will be that he was such a jerk to so many of these guys.

Out of most of these 90s-2010s WRs, who was arguably better, more clutch, or did more with less?  No one.  Of that era, he was the best.  The other guys, they are greats in their own right, but they can't hold Steve Smith's jockstrap.  He was the f'ing man when on the field.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Manna said:

Other receivers can get stats-wins-rings, but none were like 89. He amassed his stats with mediocre quarterbacks on a run first team. He wasn’t just a speed WR, he did everything that was required of him (running crisp routes, blocking, winning jump balls, making catches) all at the height of 5’9 which no other receiver with his measurements have never come close to his tenacity. 

This.  I cannot think of many (any?) receivers of his physical stature that was so good, as physical, and as feared at what he did, and add to this his returning kicks and punts.

To me, that is what HOF should be about. Alas, my vote does not count.

Smith was arguably the best WR in the NFL for about 5 or 6 years. Unfortunately no one knew of him until he went to the Ravens. I remember discussions in 2006 or 2007 about that dude. Real football fans had no idea who he was, even then. He was buried on an unknown expansion team. That and beating up teammates are the reasons he's not in the HOF. His ability is undeniable. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

I have a feeling no Carolina player will ever get in the hall, we are allowed in the club but not allowed to participate 

Julius Peppers probably will.

Lotsa analysts think Luke Kuechly will too.

Smith likely will eventually. It's just gonna take some time.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1