• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Not an odd take at all. I agree with you. 

It seems our owner wants a more progressive, offense-oriented head coach. That's not Wilks. If our owner stood up for Wilks and made sure he was given the DC role, that would indicate he is valued by the organization. It is still a promotion from where he started the year.

Now, if we choose a defensive-minded coach over Wilks, I'd consider leaving "the room flipping a double bird" if I were him. 

Now what if the Ryan is like McDermott. Able to consistently build a good offensive staff while also being able to concentrate and build a good defensive staff that is his bread and butter. 
All we have on Wilks is that one year in Arizona and both his offensive and defensive staff was terrible. 
Now I now that Wilks, allegedly, didn’t get to choose his OC, but his DC was Holcomb and the Arizona defense was just so, so bad. 
I say all that to say this. Ryan maybe able to build a good staff. While Wilks is batting 0-1 on building a good staff. 
It is all speculation it I’d rather give Ryan a chance over Wilks. Because I think Ryan will likely be more modern and Wilks will just be old fashioned and conservative. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

If they are going to move away from Steve, move away

last thing needed here is buddy Ryan and Mike dikta situation 

not saying  Wilks would not do that but players might 

if they want defense go Demeco

i love Wilks but some things in the Tampa game really bothered me…a game they had everything to gain and nothing to lose 

I think the final 3 will be Johnson, Steichen and Kafka, personally. 

• Beer 2

47 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Now what if the Ryan is like McDermott. Able to consistently build a good offensive staff while also being able to concentrate and build a good defensive staff that is his bread and butter. 
All we have on Wilks is that one year in Arizona and both his offensive and defensive staff was terrible. 
Now I now that Wilks, allegedly, didn’t get to choose his OC, but his DC was Holcomb and the Arizona defense was just so, so bad. 
I say all that to say this. Ryan maybe able to build a good staff. While Wilks is batting 0-1 on building a good staff. 
It is all speculation it I’d rather give Ryan a chance over Wilks. Because I think Ryan will likely be more modern and Wilks will just be old fashioned and conservative. 

There is a reason Wilks was coaching at Missouri.   His defenses have not been good.  His D at Missouri was TERRIBLE and got better the year he left.   He's a motivator and tough guy.  Good man.  

He is not a top tier NFL coach and the rest of the league knows that.  Also why he doesn't have ANY other interviews.

• Flames 1

The Athletic's Joe Person reports that the Panthers have requested permission to interview 49ers DC DeMeco Ryans for their head coaching vacancy.

That makes a three-team card for Ryans as the Broncos and Texans have also requested permission to interview him. San Francisco's defensive coordinator has led the team to a No. 1 defensive DVOA finish this season and would likely pair with a Kyle Shanahan Tree offensive coordinator if he gets a head coach gig. Ryans would have been a good coaching candidate before this season happened. Now he's perhaps one of the best out there.

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

The Athletic's Joe Person reports that the Panthers have requested permission to interview 49ers DC DeMeco Ryans for their head coaching vacancy.

That makes a three-team card for Ryans as the Broncos and Texans have also requested permission to interview him. San Francisco's defensive coordinator has led the team to a No. 1 defensive DVOA finish this season and would likely pair with a Kyle Shanahan Tree offensive coordinator if he gets a head coach gig. Ryans would have been a good coaching candidate before this season happened. Now he's perhaps one of the best out there.

Someone has to explain to me why Ryans will have more success than Saleh has up to this point.

• Beer 1