• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, Growl said:

oh sorry if I wasn’t clear

hes black

edit: and the Panthers as a sacrificial small market team are expected to take the reins on helping the nfl achieve its desired reputation on Capitol Hill while the more media friendly teams are free to operate under a pretense of hiring the individual they feel is best suited to make them perennial super bowl contenders

Gotta any evidence to back up your claim that the “media agenda” wants the panthers to hire Wilkes because what he looks like? 

24 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

My prediction...

They will try for Steichen.

Wilks is the fallback option.  But Wilks will have to hire Reich as OC.  He'll keep Holcomb as DC.

Are we willing to wait? He may not be available until after February 12 [if the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl].

That's a week after the Senior Bowl.

Edited by trueblade

5 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Gotta any evidence to back up your claim that the “media agenda” wants the panthers to hire Wilkes because what he looks like? 

are you serious lol

well a quick google search revealed this, and if you’ve seen florio or anyone blather on about it at all over the past few months it’s consistently a relavant factor: the league needs more black coaches, and the Panthers need to do their part to make it so, regardless of the quality of candidate available or the position the franchise might be in

https://qcitymetro.com cited this as one of their central arguments for why he MUST be the hire

“He’d be the team’s first Black head-coaching hire.

Prior to purchasing the team in 2018, David Tepper had an ownership stake with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Rooney family are the majority owners of the team and the late Dan Rooney, former team president and former chairman of the league’s diversity committee, was an advocate for hiring minority head coaches. 

In 2003, the Rooney Rule was created to require every team with a head- coaching vacancy to interview  one or more diverse candidates before making a new hire.

The Steelers hired Mike Tomlin in 2007, and he remains in his position, but many teams have yet to hire a Black head coach.“

also did you really think I of all people was going to mince words lol

Edited by Growl

2 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

I feel like Wilks could get a competent OC in here, as I recall McAdoo was mostly the only kid willing to play with Rhule on the playground type situation. I do find it funny that ole Ben Mc at one time was the OC/QB guru that everyone currently wants here. I think about how all that started with Gase and Koetter. 

You do realize Wilks has basically worked under Ron his whole career, right?  The only three years he hasn't were with the Cardinals as HC (fired after one season), Browns as DC (fired after one season), and this year under Rhule.

What in the world would make you think Wilks has the connections or influence to get a good play-caller here?

Spoiler alert: he doesn't

Bringing Wilks back is such an obvious waste of time and acceptance of mediocrity that it blows my mind he has the support that he does.  We just finished a game with like 32 passing yards and 10 points scored.  We just choked away a 21-10 lead to a bad Bucs team and let their offense go off on season-highs against us.  But sure, lets bring him back as HC LMAO

Knowing damn well if that was Rhule coaching those games people would be livid.  

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 4
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Are we willing to wait? He may not be available until after February 12 [if the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl].

That's a week after the Senior Bowl.

I know.  I think they can interview him in the next week or so.  If they like what they see, they will have to wait until Eagles' season is over, which could be as early as Jan. 23, but probably later.

It will be interesting to see if he gets an interview.

2 hours ago, travisura said:

Seems like the only avenue for Wilks is to snag a shiny OC and draft a rookie QB. Results will be different from last year on those two variables alone, but also he'll have a full offseason to prepare, and (probably) a full season to coach. I'd rather have an offensive minded HC but the fact that the players have rallied behind Wilks and are seemingly united behind him getting the job, as well as now the Panther's media is coalescing around him, is not meaningless. I think it's quite bold of some folks on here to insinuate that they know better than the people who are in the building every day, but what else is new.

Browns rallied behind Freddie Kitchens as interim HC. He sucked.

Same with Doug Marrone in Buffalo. Also sucked.

That's cool that they like him, doesn't mean he's the best man for the job.

• Pie 3