• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitt bringing Sexy back..

WOW!!

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

We have to come away with MINIMUM a vertical threat TE, WR and RB on the offensive side.  Not sexy but, DE, ILB and FS on the defensive side.  That's about the entire draft.  The very reason I want to TRADE BACK a time or two to pick up 2-3 more picks.  We simply do not have enough to fill what we need.  Still should get another LB (super thin now), slot WR, IOL and possibly a nickle corner. 

Can't get all that in 7 picks.

Don’t we have WAY more than 7 picks?

Edit: I stand corrected. Didn’t realize we gave away that many picks this year. 

Edited by Harbingers

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

They are going to need 2 drafts to fill the holes on this team. Not all holes can or will be filled in the upcoming draft. If they're lucky they may get 3 filled.  In FA they may get 1 more but that will depend on how many leftovers we sign to extensions. 

As others have said, you will never construct a truly perfect roster but you try anyway.

If we have a decent draft and make a couple of key FA signings, this could be an 11+ win team. We aren't spectacularly far away from a contending roster.

Our biggest worry is less personnel and more coaching. If we can finally get the right coaching in the organization, I think we will be fine.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Well Payton jumped ship because of the quagmire the Saints are in and McVay is getting ready to bounce because of the same.

Payton jumped ship because he saw there was no answer at QB and there appeared to be none coming. But, part of that was his dumb fault for the Taysom Hill nonsense.

The Saints are in a bad spot because they have no QB and they have a bad head coach. The core of that team is quite good, although they have some very bad contracts they are suffering through(Kamara, Thomas).

45 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’ve brought this up before but the Saints restructured and extended their best players. They didn’t spend $60M on Teddy and Sam or keep Short way too long because he was restructured.

We’re bumping up against the same cap issues but where are our marquee FAs? We haven’t been anywhere near as successful as other teams skirting around the cap (really just pushing out some cap, the cap itself is still real) while they are competing. We are skirting around the cap while sucking for 5 years.

That is the issue.  I'm not a fan of constantly kicking the can down the road because eventually you are going to wind up with big dead cap numbers for guys who simply can't play anymore.  Then you are screwed.  But, if you avoid that and avoid signing duds or guys who are okay but never going to be worth what you are paying them (the old Hurney, if we pay them like they are elite, they will become elite method), some smart moves can work out.

When you see a contract like Wilson's that is now owned by Denver, or for that matter Ryan's was a couple of years ago, you can see what you don't want to do.

But, I think this roster will take at least two years to get on solid footing, and unfortunately, that has us running into the time when the sand has run out of some rookie contracts.  That is the price for screwing around and wasting years with experiments like The Process.  The last two seasons have been largely wasted, and the sand was slowly sinking to the bottom of the hourglass for Brown, Chinn, and that class.  It could be worse.....Hurney could have been signing the FAs in that time, in which case our dead cap role would look like a Who's Who of "wasn't he good about five years ago?"

Edited by Sgt Schultz
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

52 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’ve brought this up before but the Saints restructured and extended their best players. They didn’t spend $60M on Teddy and Sam or keep Short way too long because he was restructured.

Yep so have I and that’s the difference. They’re restructuring guys who are contributing to their team. Where as we’re constantly sitting on piles of dead money thanks to people like Matt Kalil, Teddy and now CMC and Robby. 

As much as the cap is a “myth” it does still exist. The Saints practically gave CGJ away because there was just no way they were going to be able to pay him. 

This offseason will either make or break us for the next couple of seasons 

Unless someone like Brady or Rodgers is coming here I’m not sacrificing too much future cap space. I let my rookie QB and new coach get their feet wet next season and then come 2024 I get aggressive 

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I'm great with that and in a slight trade back too.  We need more picks. As much as I like Mayer, #9 is a little high for him in terms of value.

I remember when they said Luke Kuechly was a reach at #9. And that 8th was way, way too high for some white kid from Stanford, CMC.

Trust me, make the TE pick at #9, don't get fancy with trade backs, take the man and move on.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yep so have I and that’s the difference. They’re restructuring guys who are contributing to their team. Where as we’re constantly sitting on piles of dead money thanks to people like Matt Kalil, Teddy and now CMC and Robby. 

As much as the cap is a “myth” it does still exist. The Saints practically gave CGJ away because there was just no way they were going to be able to pay him. 

Sometimes the cap forces teams to make tough decisions on vets.  The Panthers have traditionally not done that very well.  Worse, we've made some bad decisions in the past with other teams vets.

I don't follow the front office's every move as well as some on here, but I think we have done a little better job of assessing value in FAs than we did when Hurney was cleaning out the meat balls near Panther HQ. 

We haven't done that with QBs, unfortunately, but at least as of today we are out from under that and have an opportunity to start fresh without any baggage. 

Whether we seize that opportunity or not remains to be seen.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Let’s look at some sexy in this years draft..

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/AT-Perry-WR-WakeForest

6’5 205 WR 2nd or 3rd rounder

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4385690/dalton-kincaid

6’4 255 TE 

Hot take: AT Perry is nearly as good as Quentin Johnston. I think his draft stock will rise to late 1st/early 2nd. Johnston is more sudden which makes him better running routes and after the catch, but I think Perry has better hands. 

26 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Unless someone like Brady or Rodgers is coming here I’m not sacrificing too much future cap space. I let my rookie QB and new coach get their feet wet next season and then come 2024 I get aggressive 

That “myth” has cost them much more than just CGJ. Armstead, M Williams, and Hendrickson were huge losses they couldn’t sign. 

They are about to cut Thomas at a 25M dead cap hit. AFTER that, they will ONLY be 33M over the cap. Definitely the blueprint I would want my team to emulate. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Payton jumped ship because he saw there was no answer at QB and there appeared to be none coming. But, part of that was his dumb fault for the Taysom Hill nonsense.

The Saints are in a bad spot because they have no QB and they have a bad head coach. The core of that team is quite good, although they have some very bad contracts they are suffering through(Kamara, Thomas).

I was listening to Peter King on Florio's show about this. Mcvay has voiced his thoughts about not being willing to go through the rebuild of the Rams and his debating stepping away for a year. Pulling a Sean Payton pretty much. King said the difference is Payton didn't vocalize anything even though he felt the same way.. He just left.  Why would Payton leave for one year? It's because it was the only way he could end his contract faster. He knew that if he was the coach during the rebuild then his name and legacy would me stained.  Peter King said the same.  Now I don't usually care what reporters say because it's usually more theatrical then substantive.   When it comes to Peter King, he has legit sources and he sits on a ton of information.  If he says Payton bounces because he didn't want to be a part of a rebuild then I have a tendency to believe. Just me.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I was listening to Peter King on Florio's show about this. Mcvay has voiced his thoughts about not being willing to go through the rebuild of the Rams and his debating stepping away for a year. Pulling a Sean Payton pretty much. King said the difference is Payton didn't vocalize anything even though he felt the same way.. He just left.  Why would Payton leave for one year? It's because it was the only way he could end his contract faster. He knew that if he was the coach during the rebuild then his name and legacy would me stained.  Peter King said the same.  Now I don't usually care what reporters say because it's usually more theatrical then substantive.   When it comes to Peter King, he has legit sources and he sits on a ton of information.  If he says Payton bounces because he didn't want to be a part of a rebuild then I have a tendency to believe. Just me.

I am generally saying the same thing. He didn't want to suffer through a QB search again. 

I do find it interesting that the two guys we are talking about really care more about their legacies rather than winning.

But, it is what it is.