• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers receive permission to interview Sean Payton

TheSpecialJuan

2 hours ago, Lurk21 said:

You brought up a very valid point! I swear pick 9 would need to be off limits. I'd assume it would be a package of 2nds or future stuff. Regardless.... Im leary to hear the details of it. 

Saints have placed the baseline as a first plus additional picks, that's been known. 

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

If Payton is offered the job, I will never watch another game, pay for anything Panthers logo'd, or even post here as long as Tepper is still owner. Everything Panthers related I own will be burned. The Green Bay Packers will become my team of record, but i don't know how closely I would follow them.

I will NEVER support a Sean Payton coached team, and any owner who hires him has permanently killed any desire to support their team. Even considering Payton would demonstrate a severe and unacceptable lack of moral judgement or outright indifference.

Anyone who stands for anything meaningful has their uncrossable line.

This is mine.

He’s a sleazy guy, but it’s not like we’re interviewing Rae Carruth.  There’s also a good chance we’d get our picks back plus some when he jumps to Dallas in a couple years. 

4 hours ago, Judo Thoreau said:

He’s a sleazy guy, but it’s not like we’re interviewing Rae Carruth.  There’s also a good chance we’d get our picks back plus some when he jumps to Dallas in a couple years. 

Yeah, sorry. I don't support football teams in any way shape or form that hire head coaches who previously ran bounty programs where they paid their players to hurt other teams players. Maybe you can look yourself in the mirror and be okay with that, but I can't.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Yeah, sorry. I don't support football teams in any way shape or form that hire head coaches who previously ran bounty programs where they paid their players to hurt other teams players. Maybe you can look yourself in the mirror and be okay with that, but I can't.

lol alright buddy rein it in

It’s fair to wonder whether Payton and his agent, Don Yee, were trying to put pressure on Dean Spanos, if, in fact, the Chargers owner is considering dumping Staley. Payton, who’s also drawn interest from Houston, Arizona and Denver, will be looking to become one of the NFL’s highest-paid coaches with an average annual salary pushing $20 million. It doesn’t hurt to have Tepper, the NFL’s second-richest owner behind the Broncos’ new ownership group, involved if you’re chasing that kind of money.

https://theathletic.com/4094656/2023/01/16/panthers-coach-search-sean-payton/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

6 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

It’s fair to wonder whether Payton and his agent, Don Yee, were trying to put pressure on Dean Spanos, if, in fact, the Chargers owner is considering dumping Staley. Payton, who’s also drawn interest from Houston, Arizona and Denver, will be looking to become one of the NFL’s highest-paid coaches with an average annual salary pushing $20 million. It doesn’t hurt to have Tepper, the NFL’s second-richest owner behind the Broncos’ new ownership group, involved if you’re chasing that kind of money.

https://theathletic.com/4094656/2023/01/16/panthers-coach-search-sean-payton/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

This makes sense.

7 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

From that same article...

If Tepper is ready to swing for the fences with Payton, a couple of other members of the search committee probably aren’t too excited about the prospects. Payton almost certainly would want personnel control, which would likely leave general manager Scott Fitterer and assistant GM Dan Morgan looking for work.

This idea gets worse every time we hear it.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From that same article...

If Tepper is ready to swing for the fences with Payton, a couple of other members of the search committee probably aren’t too excited about the prospects. Payton almost certainly would want personnel control, which would likely leave general manager Scott Fitterer and assistant GM Dan Morgan looking for work.

This idea gets worse every time we hear it.

Yeah not interested.  I was reading where we are able to get so many interviews because Fitt is considered easy to work with and well liked around the league.  Full control plus loss of picks for a HC that knows he can step away whenever he wants and have a nice salary as an analyst just sounds like a terrible move.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article271149142.html

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah not interested.  I was reading where we are able to get so many interviews because Fitt is considered easy to work with and well liked around the league.  Full control plus loss of picks for a HC that knows he can step away whenever he wants and have a nice salary as an analyst just sounds like a terrible move.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article271149142.html

That's a good article.

25 minutes ago, trueblade said:

So Fitt is counterbalancing Tepper's "not easy to work for' reputation. Interesting.

Is the Tepper not easy to work with a real thing or something made up on these boards? It seems to me like he gives his football people plenty of room to work.