• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1/17 Athletic/Brugler Mock: Panthers Trade Up

Bear Hands

This is a scenario some have been floating with Levis being projected QB1 or 2 by HOU or IND.  Some have been panning this, others promoting, and I think we all would find to be a conversation starter at the least. 

Next year's first is high, but this would keep most of our remaining picks in tact.  40 is nice to keep.  I'd maybe think one of our thirds and next years 2nd could do it.  2024 1st would for sure, but it's a steep price.  

https://theathletic.com/4097059/2023/01/17/2023-nfl-mock-draft-dane-brugler/

5. Carolina Panthers (via Seattle): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Projected trade: No. 5 for Nos. 9, 93 and a 2024 first-round pick

Two years ago, the Panthers decided to pass on an Ohio State quarterback (Justin Fields). In this draft, they might be trading up for a different Buckeye. Regardless of Carolina’s head coach hire, we know ownership will heavily influence what the team does with this top-10 pick, and it is fair to assume David Tepper is tired of the quarterback carousel of veteran washouts.

With his accuracy and ability to read the field, C.J. Stroud can carve up defenses if given time to operate from the pocket. Although it came in a playoff-semifinal loss to Georgia, Stroud had a career performance in his final college game (348 yards passing, four touchdowns). On that tape, Stroud showed an improved comfort level when he was required to create outside of structure, which will only help him throughout the draft process.

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Beer 1

Trading up this high will include next year’s first almost guaranteed. Hopefully it wouldn’t take much else.  I’m definitely down for this trade scenario, we would be lucky to move up for Stroud for so cheap.  If we pick the right HC then next year’s first should be pretty low because the division is ours for the taking and we will make the playoffs with a good coach.  TB is done, window slammed shut, Falcons are trash (they’re interviewing Holcomb for HC?!), Saints have a good defense but they’re going nowhere without a new HC and QB and they’re probably not getting that this year, plus most of their good players are getting up in age. Our team is young and on the rise. 

• Pie 1

For those interested, pick 1-9:

1. IND (from CHI): Bryce Young QB

2. HOU: Will Levis QB

3. AZ: Will Anderson Jr DE/EDGE

4. CHI (from IND): Jalen Carter

5. CAR (from SEA): CJ Stroud QB

6. DET: Christian Gonzalez CB

7. LVR: Paris Johnson LT 

8. ATL: Peter Sko LT

9. SEA (from CAR): Tyree Wilson DE

Almost every mock draft I've seen has Young to the Texans, Stroud to the Colts, and Levis to us at 9, which makes me think that is the least likely scenario. I'm starting to believe it's possible that the Colts could get enamored with Levis, (ala Lance with the 49ers) and Stroud slips past them, and we move up ahead of the Raiders and get our guy.

• Pie 3