• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Payton + Brady ???

chknwing

The more I think about it, if Payton is our next coach, I do think Brady ends up here unless SF makes a run at him.

SF's roster is built for Brady to come in and win back to back SB's and retire, CMC, Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk, and Shannahan just wouldn't be fair for Brady to get to play with, not to mention they'd likely be able to convince Gronk to come back for a year..............................

And it was literally in this moment, as I was typing this, that I might have just gotten on board with Payton if it means Brady, and thus Gronk being a Panther.

Full disclosure, Gronk is my favorite non Panther ever, I'm an Arizona alum and was in school when Gronk was there, so I got to see his college career in person.  I think I could live with any thing else that happens if it means we get Gronk.

For example... I'm probably the only person who is still happy we had Antoine Cason for a season... I was a freshman the same year he was and some of my favorite Arizona football memories are because of him, namely a pick 6 to seal a major upset win where we rushed the field.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, chknwing said:

if we win a SB, I'm ok with that.  

Win a SB with a HC who has already won a SB with another team? Good luck with that.

The last time he won a SB was 2009. If he was good enough with his coaching philosophy to win, he would have done it multiple times in a single decade. At least, he would have gone back to the SB as a HC to lose it if he was better than the majority of SB winning coaches.

Stay away from this trap.

4 hours ago, t96 said:

Agree. He is significantly better than Brady at this point (and frankly I would take a young Rodgers for his career over Brady. Rodgers with Belichick for 20 years wins more than Brady did there. Also less of a douche, although yes still an asshole.

TBH, I don't think Rodgers is actually better than Brady at the moment.

I have been lustily awaiting the Brady cliff but he had another stellar year. There were very few things statistically that Brady didn't do that were not above his career averages.

Rodgers on the other hand just put up the worst season QBR of his starting career.

I don't know that I care who we did or didn't get between the two, but Brady doesn't seem to be slowing down and Rodgers may very well be doing so.

Also, Brady doesn't seem to be very interested in retiring, whereas this is the 2nd or 3rd offseason where Rodgers has been heavily linked to retirement talk.

• Beer 1

this honestly makes sense

the two have tried to pull it off before, and it makes a whole lot more sense than Brady trying to leave the dumpster fire NFC South to go play in the same division as patty mahomes

newsflash Brady has had like 7,000 coaches, he doesn’t care where Josh mcdaniels is

shame they traded away their best offensive player for peanuts

Edited by Growl

1 hour ago, CPantherKing said:

Win a SB with a HC who has already won a SB with another team? Good luck with that.

The last time he won a SB was 2009. If he was good enough with his coaching philosophy to win, he would have done it multiple times in a single decade. At least, he would have gone back to the SB as a HC to lose it if he was better than the majority of SB winning coaches.

Stay away from this trap.

No offense to you, but I can't stand stats like this...  they are meaningless.  When you extrapolate it across all these decades of pro football, account for all the variables and factors in place that led to coaches not winning at a second stop, it makes zero fuging sense.  It's a lot like those "Team X has not won a game at Team Y's stadium in 57 years."  Or "Team X has never won when down 10 points in 30 degree weather in January."  At some point, the poo is coincidental.  Across all those years, all those coaches, all those teams, there is a lot of poo that conflates to the point that it finally becomes a "stat" even though it's just coincidence.  Just like Boston not winning a World Series for 90+ years or whatever it was - UNTIL THEY DID.  Same thing with the Cubs not winning one for as long as they did - UNTIL THEY DID.  And during that period, people convinced themselves it was a curse, and it was because they didn't wear their lucky boxers, or Babe Ruth, or someone sold a goat, or whatever asinine bullshit there is...  when in fact, the stars just never aligned, until they did.  It's the same poo with this coaches not winning a Super Bowl at two different stops, until someone does.  It's like nmin today's age, hypothetically, if someone interviews to be the Lions or Browns HC, and that would be like a candidate saying, "Nah, I'm gonna pass because you guys haven't won a Superbowl before in your long, storied existence."  So youre gonna pass up the opportunity because it hasnt happened yet?  Lol. 

A lot of the examples that people cite are also poor because a lot of the coaches who hired on elsewhere were past their prime or shouldn't have been coaching anymore.  That's not Payton.  Also, ask yourself...  what are the statistical odds of winning a Superbowl one time as a head coach, anywhere? Now what are the odds of winning a second one, even in the same place?  See why that's a dumbass stat. I'd much rather hire a guy with a proven track record that gives us a chance of even competing for one in the first place than whatever the alternative is (and the alternative is usually a middling .500-ish defensive-minded coach, which we've always preferred).

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Carolina Mike said:

Just think of those extras guys that might sign with Carolina just to have that one last chance at a ring! The more I think about it the more I like it!

We only had this once, back in 2015, and it was only because of Cam's otherworldly talent.  We became that team that older, great vets knew gave them a legitimate shot at competing for a Superbowl.  Peanut, Jared Allen, Cortland Finnegan, etc.  But again, Gettleman's dumbass closed that door as soon as it opened.

This on the other hand, will double those odds because Payton is respected league-wide as a tactician and strategist and then obviously if Brady comes, now you have the on-field component and cache that he brings where guys will come just to play with him/for him because they know it will get them closer than they've ever been.  I can't even run down the list of names that signed with the Bucs for that "last run" type of deal, but it features several future HOFers.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

TBH, I don't think Rodgers is actually better than Brady at the moment.

I have been lustily awaiting the Brady cliff but he had another stellar year. There were very few things statistically that Brady didn't do that were not above his career averages.

Rodgers on the other hand just put up the worst season QBR of his starting career.

I don't know that I care who we did or didn't get between the two, but Brady doesn't seem to be slowing down and Rodgers may very well be doing so.

Also, Brady doesn't seem to be very interested in retiring, whereas this is the 2nd or 3rd offseason where Rodgers has been heavily linked to retirement talk.

Brady had a HORRIBLY inefficient season, despite having elite weapons. Rodgers played better with a bunch of scrubs around him. 

And Brady literally just retired once and un-retired. Neither has any potential past a year or two. I'm not advocating for Rodgers, that contract just makes it too difficult to make any sense at all. But Brady is fuging trash at this point.