• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

24 minutes ago, ickmule said:

That’s easy to believe. 

Im semi-retired construction. Building homes has become a look for gray hair, deal...... Plumbers, electricians, and carpenters Ive rarely seen a 20 year old thats not in the apprentice stage......40 is young. I had a 27 year old on my old crew, he was only there cause his father was the crew chief......both were great and I didnt have to check-up on them much than normal. Just learned the hard way about trusting work to be done....

Robots must save the future....

NO NOT GET ME STARTED ON ENGINEERS. I would take 1 gray hair engineer over 20 young fresh ones. No clue at problem solving, but the first edition blue prints look great and everyone wants the new "smart" guy who interviewed great....

Edited by Basbear
  • Flames 2

Just curious for the Wilks was too conservative crowd.

if you stepped in as Head coach.  Had the Worst QB room in the NFL, in fact 3 of the most Turnover prone QBs since being in the league.  With Below Avg WR room.  And Terrible TE room.

what would you do?  Just curious,  what would you do? 

Would you just not adjust and let slinging Sammy sling all the way to 4ints?

Would you let Baker drop back and have 15 of his 25 passes batted down?

Or would you go more to your strengths in the run game and away from the weakness?

Just wondering.  Because a whole lot of Madden champions on here who are quick to criticize the offensive play calling for being to run heavy after just a few weeks prior acting like the world was ending due to our QB situation.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

17 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Nearly every single coach at some point has been fired, this talk has got to stop.....im losing my last two cells...

If anyone can name three head coaches that have never been fired at any point in their career, please DO!! Here I will even help tons- Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh are the only two I can think of and I do not care to look up their history, cause I know 99,999765434567% have been fired.....

Obviously no one is disputing that. The issue is Tepper is clearly shook after the Rhule fiasco and looking at the safer options first and foremost and that's Wilks and Reich. One of them could fail just as easily as a first time head coach in someone like Steichen. If this is the path it's all a roll of the dice I just want us to put more focus on the offense I'll hope for the best either way.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, vorbis said:

obviously no employer with half a brain cell is going to straight up tell a candidate they were passed over because of their age. that is the express train to lawsuitsville. they can make the exact same decision and cloak it in language to cover their asses. and that often happens.

I don't really think this applies in this situation though. hiring head coaches in their 30s is overwhelmingly a recent phenomenon. 61 years old is not too old to be a successful coach in the NFL in and of itself. I think that's pretty well documented, no?

but mostly I want to speak to this idea that you want to hire a coach for a ten-year period. that just so rarely happens, to the point that I don't think it's a realistic thing to expect. John Fox, if I recall, just barely by the seat of his pants made it to ten years. Rivera made it what, 7-8? and both these coaches won coach of the year awards, and took their teams to super bowls. you just don't judge a hire based on that criteria, full stop.

if you get 5 solid years and the coach leaves the organization in a better place than they found it? you've got a good hire, in the grand scope of things. in that sense, there's really no compelling reason to prioritize a coach who will be 45 in ten years vs 70 in ten years.

of course everyone wants to find the Mike Tomlin who will grow with the team and coach for a generation. but those candidates don't come around every year, frankly. and you've got to have the organizational buy-in to not only stick with the coach for that amount of time, but mold the operations and vision so that you get the most out of what they have to offer.

the Panthers just aren't in that spot right now, according to the coach search group. they feel they're a bit farther down the line. I know there are many users on this forum that vehemently disagree with that. but they feel they're ready for a coach to take them to "the next level." I think that's pretty clear. and you don't rip it down to the studs and reset the clock towards playoff aspirations if you feel you just got finished doing that.

If this was a coveted hire, sure, but we're talking about a retread. A good retread, but a retread. A lot of times a coach taking a job at this point of his life are already set in their ways, and a lot of those ways are not quite with the times. The NFL is ever evolving, and it helps with a coach is younger, not just to be able to better connect with their players, but also because they're more flexible as they're still learning.

There's a reason NFL front offices are seeking the young guns. 

Just now, Asaria said:

I wouldn't punt at midfield on 4th and 1 at midfield to Tom Fu**ing Brady...TWICE.

Cool story.  
how about the leading COY candidate who many here wish we fired Rhule last year to get up in NY.   Not going for it all all, even on the other end of the 50, down in the 4th quarter…..in the playoffs.

but still never answered the original play-calling question.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Well, it's not like it's unheard of to retire in your 60s. Though maybe it's personal bias, coming from my own personal experiences with family slowing down or passing around Reich's age.

poo my Dad just turned 72 and he still goes to work everyday in his construction job. He just got a new job actually. He’s the overall job boss on large scale commercial projects. He’s very well respected and gets offers for new jobs all the time. I guess like everything, it’s relative.

Just now, joemac said:

poo my Dad just turned 72 and he still goes to work everyday in his construction job. He just got a new job actually. He’s the overall job boss on large scale commercial projects. He’s very well respected and gets offers for new jobs all the time. I guess like everything, it’s relative.

Let me state this another way. If Reich was 45 he would have already been hired, by us or another team.

Front offices want younger coaches by their own judgements.

7 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Im semi-retired construction. Building homes has become a look for gray hair, deal...... Plumbers, electricians, and carpenters Ive rarely seen a 20 year old thats not in the apprentice stage......40 is young. I had a 27 year old on my old crew, he was only there cause his father was the crew chief......both were great and I didnt have to check-up on them much than normal. Just learned the hard way about trusting work to be done....

Robots must save the future....

NO NOT GET ME STARTED ON ENGINEERS. I would take 1 gray hair engineer over 20 young fresh ones. No clue at problem solving, but the first edition blue prints look great and everyone wants the new "smart" guy who interviewed great....

But what if that 20 year old has gray hair?

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Krovvy said:

If this was a coveted hire, sure, but we're talking about a retread. A good retread, but a retread. A lot of times a coach taking a job at this point of his life are already set in their ways, and a lot of those ways are not quite with the times. The NFL is ever evolving, and it helps with a coach is younger, not just to be able to better connect with their players, but also because they're more flexible as they're still learning.

There's a reason NFL front offices are seeking the young guns. 

I think the reason NFL front offices are seeking the young guns is based on a few things. I think part of it is the Tomlin/Harbaugh dream, for sure. let's find The Guy and really get rolling.

but also there is a general sense that offense is evolving more quickly than defense in the NFL these days. so they want the bright minds who are on the bleeding edge of that wave. in my heart of hearts I don't think that will last forever, but it's undoubtedly the case right now. there will come a day when everybody's looking for the hotshot defensive candidate.

but also, and, based on my *mumbles* years of watching the NFL, the most prominent reason why they are seeking the young guns, is because the NFL is a copycat league. almost as much as it's a football league, it's a copycat league. and they see a newish model of coach/front office structure work, and work quickly, and they say to their organizations: Go do That.

• Beer 2

7 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Just curious for the Wilks was too conservative crowd.

if you stepped in as Head coach.  Had the Worst QB room in the NFL, in fact 3 of the most Turnover prone QBs since being in the league.  With Below Avg WR room.  And Terrible TE room.

what would you do?  Just curious,  what would you do? 

Would you just not adjust and let slinging Sammy sling all the way to 4ints?

Would you let Baker drop back and have 15 of his 25 passes batted down?

Or would you go more to your strengths in the run game and away from the weakness?

Just wondering.  Because a whole lot of Madden champions on here who are quick to criticize the offensive play calling for being to run heavy after just a few weeks prior acting like the world was ending due to our QB situation.

One of the best post I have seen all day. This man sees the bigger picture.

Wilks is not perfect, but im not going to be mad if we hire him either. He did a damn good job given what he had to work with on offense.

• Pie 3