• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Panthering said:

4 remaining teams in playoffs are Bengals, Chiefs, Eagles, 49ers and they are the clear cut best 4 teams in this year I'd say. All Offensive Head Coaches, 4 of the last 5 SB winners are all offensive head coaches with the lone exception being Belicheck. 

They all are heavily involved in their team's offense as well even as HC.  Taylor and I believe Shanahan still call the plays.  Reid has a lot of input in play call/designs.  When the league is catering to offenses smart teams will hire a staff to take advantage.

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

You said those that want one of the exciting young OCs over the old failed retread HCs must struggle to handle their finances correctly - choosing an XBox over essential groceries.

So yes, you did. Thank you. 

i didnt ask a question. I made a statement.  

This would be my interview question for Reich: 

In 2021, all you had to do was beat a 2-14 Jacksonville team in the final week of the season to make playoffs. Your team lost 26-11 in a game that was never in doubt. Can you explain what happened there? Why was your team not prepared to execute that day?

• Pie 4

6 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Reich as the hire makes sense if you take Tepper on his word from the beginning. He wanted an offensive mind vs. defensive..... and someone with experience. Reich checks both boxes. 

He was good, not great in Indy and had a much maligned couple years there getting to do things his way. 5 different starting QBs - most at the end of their respective careers. He did have an 11-5 year and a 10-6 year too.

What he did with Foles in Philly and never having a young QB to groom in IND gives me hope. He's been around some talented staffs and his up-tempo, RPO-heavy offense (with a few West Coast tweaks) is what I like to watch.

If he could bring Fangio and Deuce Staley with him as DC/OC and draft our future QB this year, I think we would be in a better place. I'm unsure if he will ever be a top-tier superb HC, but I would like to see what he can do in Carolina being less hamstrung as he was with the Colts. He helped mold JTaylor into a top-5 NFL RB too. His HC tree looks pretty good so far with Sirriani and Eberflus being HCs and Gannon probably getting a HC gig this cycle. 

We already have a good base in place...just need to cultivate the young seedlings. Reich's experience could be the answer. 

My preference is : 1 - Steichen, 2A - Reich, 2B - Wilks

Frank’s a good human being.  I’m old. I attended Maryland when he and Boomer were there back in the day

andrew luck’s decision hamstrung that franchise for years and the owner is a nut job so there is that 

I don’t know what to think anymore about the Panthers 

Reich’s daughter now works there so, there’s that 

but like you, Steichen (only if Fangio is part of that). Reich. Wilks 

people talk about the 49ers offense,  and this and that,  but that 49ers defense is the real deal and it will be that defense performing to heroic levels if they beat the Eagles 

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, trueblade said:

This would be my interview question for Reich: 

In 2021, all you had to do was beat a 2-14 Jacksonville team in the final week of the season to make playoffs. Your team lost 26-11 in a game that was never in doubt. Can you explain what happened there? Why was your team not prepared to execute that day?

It's a valid question, but at some point your QB has to make plays and Wentz didn't that day. 2 turnovers and took six sacks. Both turnovers had Jacksonville set up in plus territory (fumble recovery at IND 23, interception at IND 46). Looking at the play-by-play, they were also fairly aggressive on 4th and short, going for it early 3 times, but only converting one of those. But yeah, definitely a bad performance for sure.  

• Beer 1

Just now, PootieNunu said:

So we are going to get another coach that likes to take shortcuts with QBs.

He never showed any willingness to develop a QB in Indy, they just kept trading for old retreads.

I wonder which bum we will get stuck with after they hire reich.....

I don't know if that's on Reich so much as it's on Irsay - similar to Tepper always looking for the quick fix rather than grabbing someone like Justin Fields 2 years ago.

• Pie 4

3 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I don't know if that's on Reich so much as it's on Irsay - similar to Tepper always looking for the quick fix rather than grabbing someone like Justin Fields 2 years ago.

Right? He didn't really have a chance to develop a young guy. Signed on thinking he had Andrew luck for the next 5 years, then he retired out of the blue, right before the season started so they scrambled and held the team together with duct tape and Jacoby Brisset for a year. Then they got old man Rivers to take them to the playoffs, then they had Carson Wentz, and this past year they've had the corpse of Matt Ryan.

All things considered, they did alright. Much like Wilks.

I think Reich has the higher upside and would be able to put together a better staff.

I'm not against it by any means.