• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reich New Head Coach

NJPanthers12

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't think it's necessarily hate at all. A lot of people see him as another Fox and Rivera, both guys who were loved in the locker room and underwhelmed on the field. He beat teams with horrible run defenses and had no other game plan for those that had good ones. Personally, I don't consider winning the division with a losing record winning anything.

I feel very underwhelmed by this hire. Wilks would have probably felt the same. 

Yeah, Wilks would have been a feel good story had he crushed through the easy schedule and won 9-10 games on his way to playoff berth. Instead....it felt like the old Fox/Rivera days.

• Pie 2

Just now, Jon Snow said:

I would say he is an option.  I'm sure the FO is open to it but will Sam be? 

I think he would.

I mean...he's already familiar with the players on team and I don't think he'd care to have to pack up and move elsewhere again so soon after finally getting the 2nd half of his couch.  😏

• Beer 1

Just now, Bear Hands said:

VERY interested to see how he plans to deploy the offense.  Is he going to craft it & play-call? Or is he going to find a younger guy to run with one built around his framework?  And who would that be.  

His role in our offense & the OC hire becomes mission critical now.  Hopefully he has some good dudes in mind.

Don't forget the qb coach.  I'm very interested in seeing who that will be as well.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I'll never understand the undue Wilks hate. It's more rooted in emotion than logic.

That said, Frank was my first choice with Wilks second.

I feel bad for Wilks, who I liked and hope he gets a well deserved HC job in the near future with a defense needy team .

The fact Tepper's wanted to change the Panthers direction and hire an offensive minded HC, pretty much left Wilks out of the running to be the Panthers next HC.

• Pie 1

Just now, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Nine wins will be better than the usual I guess.

that would have hosted a playoff game

I know all the other south teams are trying to get better as well but as of right now none of them have a qb, so essentially is a race for the franchise guy and first one gets a huge head start and will probably win the league for the foreseeable future

Tampa is about to go through a massive rebuild

Saints not a lot of draft capital

Falcons - good coach but needs a lot of roster help

52 minutes ago, CamTheMan said:

Feel bad for Wilks but I do think this is an upgrade. How the locker room reacts and who he gets at DC will determine his success. If they buy in and we can get Fangio, our ceiling is way higher than it would have been with Wilks. If they don't buy in and we hire a bad DC, floor is considerably lower than it would have been with Wilks. 

Kinda weird we didn't even give Ryans an interview, would have loved to pair Reich (at OC) with a young, relatable, and intelligent defensive mind who could maximize all the young guys on defense. Oh well.

My sentiments exactly. While I feel really bad for Wilks, it was clear from the outset and throughout this process that Tepper was favoring offensive minded coaches. Reich’s resume and experience were the difference.

And we really can’t blame him - take a look at the teams advancing in the playoffs. All are guided by former OC and one of them, Nick Sirianni (and his OC Shane Steichen - another candidate for the Panthers HC job), worked under Reich at previous stops. The league is trending toward offense and Tepper understands that. If Reich can put together a great staff, especially on the defensive side of the ball - there’s no reason to expect he won’t have success here.

And on the bright side - we can expect more creativity, diverse and innovation on offense. The ultra conservative risk-averse playcalling should be a thing of the past.

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

No, you're not. I really feel bad for him because I thought he did enough to warrant another shot here. But its not my money and not my team. I understand the decision they made based on what Tepper said after the Rhule firing.  He wanted an experiened head coach  with an offensive background. He got the right man that fits that description. 

I was an am a big fan of Steve Wilks.  He is an impressive leader and I appreciate what he did to restore the Carolina Panther heritage and culture in such a short time.  He seems to be a very good person.  I wanted him to win the HC job.  His chance was to do it on game day.  His players loved and respected him.  They wanted to win for him, but they did not, not when it counted.  The Steelers and Bucs games sealed Wilks fate.  When playing the Steelers, the team looked like Rhule was still the coach.  And the lack of defensive adjustment in the Bucs game was the nail in the coffin IMO.  One of Rivera's big downfalls is his loyalty to his staff and wanting to keep familiar people around him.  Wilks appears to have the same weakness as far as Holcomb goes.

I hate it for Wilks, I know he really wants to be here and he handled everything with class.

I do like that we now have an offensive minded coach with lots of experience.  No on the job training.  Reich is not a sexy hire.  Maybe he can bring in a young sexy OC to mentor.

It is about the right Fitt at the Reich time and now I will look forward to great things.

(I hope Tepper gives Wilks a nice going away present...he earned it.)

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1