• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is starting to get nasty with coach wilks.

ncguy2184

22 minutes ago, ncguy2184 said:

This is getting nasty about not hiring wilks for the head coach position everywhere online and on t.v, of course I just seen Shannon Sharpe and skip Bayless going back and forth and skip always brings up the race card he thinks it makes him look "cooler" or something idk but....

If you are a true panthers fan you will know that from the very beginning David Tepper wanted a offensive head coach from the get go! 

So the whole point for this post is, I KNOW deep down the NFL is like the WWE and its all planned out so... I want this to go down so in the next three years or so when it happens everyone knows I was correct that Steve wilks will get hired this year as a defense coordinator and the NFL will make sure his unit is one of the best so the next year he will get hired as a head coach and then the NFL will make sure wilks wins a Superbowl.

So it's a win win for wilks and the NFL. 

Oh yeah and 1 more thing alllll that crap skip Bayless was talking about us not hiring wilks because he's a black man is all B.S and guess what! His "Cowboys" have never had a black head coach ever. 

The whole issue here is you’re putting any weight into anything Skip Bayless or Shannon Sharpe says.

there literally is nothing more to discuss on the topic, these guys are on the same ilk as First Take with Steven A Smith. It’s all barbershop Trash Talk that they put on TV. I’d care if it was someone that actually uses their brain to form an opinion like Dan Patrick or Rich Eisen.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Perhaps for the analytically challenged, or those that just don't give a damn and will take any and every opportunity to spotlight that there is a legitimate problem with institutional racism in the NFL and society at large. For me personally, I think there is a gargantuan, long-lived problem in America---and at times I feel somewhat helpless to do anything about it, even talk about it---but I don't think that it's necessarily a good thing to label every perceptibly questionable decision as a racist one. There is enough evidence to point to, in my opinion, even within the NFL, on a macro level to show that institutional racism is alive and well, and that people aren't doing (and aren't willing to do) anything of substance to address it, but just because Reich was 3-5 and Wilks was 6-6 this season and we hired Reich isn't one of them in my opinion.

I agree I don't think it was racist either and it isn't based on records or other things other than Tepper is focused on football and has made unpopular decisions like hiring Eric Reid in the past regardless of what was going on ignoring the racial implications. But yeah on the surface it looks unfair although not racist from my viewpoint.

56 minutes ago, top dawg said:

But Skip just piled on instead of giving counterpoints. I just doubt that any of these guys actually watched and analyzed the games, much less the general situation.

Probably right. People like these two bozos break journalism’s #1 rule: they make themselves a part of the story. 

21 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Again you are doing the same things folks are accusing other people of doing, justifying Reich's hire by making excuses when you didn't do the same for Wilks. You could actually make a strong case that Wilks did a much better job than Reich. Sure you can keep falling back on the excuse of offense versus defense but that is basically it. No way did Reich earn this job on his coaching but his potential which we will all see soon enough.

What are you even talking about 

it’s pretty cut and dry that the Offensive coach was the reason and not a excuse 

it was going to be 8 out of 10 (80%) of the interviews were offensive guys.  If you can’t clearly see that.  Your just have your emotional glasses on.

Reich did earn his job by coaching

Being a Super Bowl winning Coordinator

which Wilks never did

by having more back2back winning seasons than our entire franchise has had as a Head Coach 

and yes, it’s bad to use the Arizona as a example with Wilks.  But the reality of the situation.  Irsay up in Indy with Reich was the same situation for a majority of his time.  And Reich’s worst season he had 7 wins (over double what Wilks had in Arizona)

again, this isn’t a bashing Wilks.  He did a tremendous job, and deserves a HC.

but Not only does Reich’s overal resume better.  But he checks the offensive box as well.

I truly feel for Wilks because he had a amazing season.  But that doesn’t mean I don’t think Reich is deserving for this job as well.

In fact, you need to go listen to Torrey Smith.

who has been one of the more vocal supporters of Wilks outside of guys who played for him him.  He has also been one of the more vocal former NFL players about African American’s unfairly being left out from jobs etc.  

But he was very Supportive of Reich and  spoke very high on him talking how lucky we are to have him as our Head Coach.

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

They certainly didn't help. I even kind of gave him a pass on the Bengals disaster as he was still getting his feet wet and making the transition (or that's at least how I rationalized it after trying to give him some grace). The Steelers game was where I decided that Wilks just could not out-coach the best in the game. Tomlin beat his ass with his own billy club and took his lunch money. 

I think the last two games sealed it.  With the playoffs on the line we couldnt beat a weak Tampa Bay team and looked like a bumblefug fest against the Saints.  The main reason Wilkes looked like a good coach was because we had 2.5 years of Rhule.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, parker said:

I think the last two games sealed it.  With the playoffs on the line we couldnt beat a weak Tampa Bay team and looked like a bumblefug fest against the Saints.  The main reason Wilkes looked like a good coach was because we had 2.5 years of Rhule.

I was genuinely getting excited during the Tampa game and I would have been fine with Wilks if we won and made the playoffs. But that entire collapse is the main reason I got continually frustrated with Rivera when he was here. 
After is I was never gonna be happy with Wilks as coach. 

• Pie 2

54 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The problem is that it looks bad when you hire a white coach who got fired in 2022 with a 3-5 :record and he is hired over a black coach who took a dysfunctional team and produced a 6-6 record which is much better and came within a broken wrist away from taking us to the playoffs. You can hide behind the notion that Tepper wanted an offensive guy  but the expectation that Wilkes has to go to the playoffs versus Reich got fired and immediately gets hired again on the surface surely fuels the discussion there were 2 different standards. Especially given a report from one of our writers that Wilkes had a good plan on offense.

46 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I don’t know what they think this accomplishes. Why would any owner want to name a black interim after this?

Tepper realized that in order for the team to compete at a higher level, the Panthers needed a new identity.  You can keep the Keep Pounding mantra in the building while still shifting to an offensive focus.  Having Reich as an OC would never have worked.  I'll fully admit that I really liked this idea, but the more I thought on it I realized it would not garner the results I'd like.

In game planning and real time situations Wilks would be making the calls on what our focus should be (run, run, run), what to do on 4th downs, ect....  Long story short, WIlks is not the offensive guy and would be conservative.  If Reich wanted to implement a more offensive game plan/roster that would, at some point, on cause a rift amongst the coaching staff.

Rivera and McDermott have/are only riding the success of generational QB's.  Look at Ron now, he is going through more OC's because he can't develop a QB.  He has not had consistent winning since before Cam was hit by TJ Watt.  McDermott is about to hit his plateau.  Once he Lost Daboll, his offensive advantage is not what it was before.

Tepper has his flaws, but he gave Perry Few and Steve Wilks an opportunity that other owners have not or would not.  He made a mistake with Rhule.  Again, I could see why that happened.  I got caught up in Rhule's sales pitch using that slimy dime store preacher voice. 

We don't know what WIlke's plan on offense was.  Is Byron Leftwitch THE answer?  What is his offensive like without Tom Brady?  All of us know that AL Holcolmb is not DC material.  So if we say that those two coordinators are not a fit for the Panthers is that race based or performance based?  Another sign that Wilks and Holcomb may not be as highly regarded outside our organization is that Atlanta was "monitoring" the situation in Carolina.  They even interviewed Holcomb for DC, but never interviewed Wilks?  Then they hired another DC the day after Reich was announced as HC.

Long story short this was a football move.  I have empathy for those hurt by the decision.  Personally, I have no idea what it is like to not feel as people like myself are not properly represented.  It's not like it's Jerry Richardson running the organization anymore, or we are run by someone like the McNair family.