• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

THE ATHLETIC: Potential cap casualties….

WarPanthers89

5 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Him getting a new contract in the first place was much more surprising than this idea to cut him. That was such a nightmare of a 4 TE rotation for no reason. 

He's basically not bad at blocking in space / on the move. The rest of his game isn't NFL standard - that extension was crazy.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah they can restructure Moton and Moore, maybe do something with Donte's contract. Biggest hit is dead cap from CMC and that horrible Robbie contract. Sucks to kick the can down the road on restructures but they have $145M in cap room for 2024 so it's not the biggest deal to move $20M or so in the top 4 or 5 players over to next year in addition to the cuts. We can get to probably $40M under the cap if they really wanna sign a few decent FA's

Sulaiman knows what he's doing.  We'll be fine with the cap.  

As far as the article - Wow.  I had no idea Shaq had that productive of a year.  It seemed very, very quiet...  I also don't know why, buy he seems so much older than 28 to me.  And I don't see why, of they wanted to keep him, they couldn't just sign him to an extension.  But odds are, he's gone.  I also could see him as being seen as one of the leaders of the "old guard" that Reich will want to move on from, so there's that. 

Everyone else on that list, they are absolutely gone, imo.

• Beer 1

I'm not too worried about the cap for the moment. But we definitely can't be handing out anymore contracts to woefully underperforming players like Ian Thomas. I know folks want to blame everything on Rhule but Scott signed off on that too. Time to cut that poo out.

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

Yeah I’m cutting Shaq or trading if another team is willing

Agree but I’d almost lean towards extending him for a year or two. He’s a captain, and vocal leader on the defense, we have no one else at LB other than Luvu, and Shaq should still perform at a high level for the next couple years. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Sulaiman knows what he's doing.  We'll be fine with the cap.  

As far as the article - Wow.  I had no idea Shaq had that productive of a year.  It seemed very, very quiet...  I also don't know why, buy he seems so much older than 28 to me.  And I don't see why, of they wanted to keep him, they couldn't just sign him to an extension.  But odds are, he's gone.  I also could see him as being seen as one of the leaders of the "old guard" that Reich will want to move on from, so there's that. 

Everyone else on that list, they are absolutely gone, imo.

I agree he seems older than 28. I think because he was on that SB team and that seems so long ago 

Shaq is an interesting call. There's no way we can keep him at that cap number but if we cut him we're going to owe him $11M in dead money anyway and I don't see any way we're going to find a replacement in free agency for much less than the difference.

I'd say the ideal situation would be to extend him on a 3-4 year deal that spreads the cap hit out a little over the life of the contract. Reduce this year's cap hit while locking up a key starter and leader on defense.

But we'll see.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

I truly Hope we extend Shaq for like 2 more years, He's not a bad player at all and seems like a locker room guy. He just hasn't played up to the contract he was given. Cutting Ian Thomas would make me happy. Gives more time to see if Tremble can develop. Ian is not much better than Sullivan or Ricci at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Shaq is an interesting call. There's no way we can keep him at that cap number but if we cut him we're going to owe him $11M in dead money anyway and I don't see any way we're going to find a replacement in free agency for much less than the difference.

I'd say the ideal situation would be to extend him on a 3-4 year deal that spreads the cap hit out a little over the life of the contract. Reduce this year's cap hit while locking up a key starter and leader on defense.

But we'll see.

Yeah looking at FA's there's not really a vet LB that could replace him. Corey Littleton and Denzel Perryman are available again, those types. Shaq's extension would save $11M, cutting would save $13M. Might as well have him actually play football for us the $2M difference. Or trade but I dunno what we'd want for him, a 3rd rounder? Swap for another average player at another position?