• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic talks about who our OC could be as of now……

WarPanthers89

I cut out the updates on staff hiring from the article and listed what they had to say about where we are with our OC role. 

ARTICLE:

The Panthers moved quickly last weekend to hire Evero, the former Broncos-defensive coordinator who also was being pursued by Minnesota. The slower pace of the offensive coordinator search — and the paucity of news about it — suggests Reich could be waiting for Eagles quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson.

Many in league circles believe Philadelphia offensive coordinator Shane Steichen, who interviewed for the Panthers’ head-coaching vacancy, will be the Colts’ next coach. If that happens, Eagles coach Nick Sirianni likely will promote Johnson to offensive coordinator.

Johnson’s work with Jalen Hurts makes him attractive to a team like the Panthers, who may finally draft a top-10 quarterback this year. But if Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon gets the Cardinals’ job, he almost certainly would try to take Johnson with him to coach Kyler Murray.

So who are Reich’s other options?

Keep an eye on Jacksonville pass-game coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, who quietly interviewed for the Panthers’ OC job this week, according to sources with knowledge of the meeting.

Cooter was a young Colts assistant with Reich from 2009 to 2011, and the two have remained close. The 38-year-old Cooter was Detroit’s offensive coordinator from 2015 to 2018, including three years calling plays for Jim Caldwell.

Cooter’s offenses were characterized by a lot of passing and not much in the way of a run game. The Lions ranked ninth, 11th and sixth in passing offense in Cooter’s first three seasons but were 32nd, 30th and 32nd in rushing over the same span. Cooter’s game plans resulted in 1,000-yard receiving seasons for Golden Tate and Marvin Jones, but Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford took a beating. Stafford was sacked an average of 42 times while Cooter was the Lions’ offensive coordinator, including a career-high 47 in 2017.

Cooter appears to be Reich’s fallback option if Johnson doesn’t pan out. If Cooter were the first choice, Reich could have hired him before the Super Bowl. But Reich is expected to cast a wide net. It’s worth noting: The Panthers must interview two minority candidates for the coordinator’s post to satisfy Rooney Rule requirements.

What remains to be seen is whether Reich will continue to call the offensive plays, as he did during his five-year stint in Indianapolis. At his introductory news conference, the 61-year-old Reich said he would be open to letting someone else call the offense.

If the Panthers hope to have any shot of hiring Johnson, Reich would have to offer him the play-calling responsibilities.

“I’ve always enjoyed doing that (and) feel like I’ve had a good bit of success doing that,” Reich said. “Feels to me there’s a little bit of a trend going away from that. I want to continue to re-examine that. It just depends on how the staff comes together and the coordinator thing.

“I’m excited about the prospects on some of the guys that are out there that could be our offensive coordinator,” he said. “I’ll wait to make the final decision on that.”

He’s apparently going to wait until at least Monday, when things could start to unfold quickly — in Charlotte and around the league.

• Pie 6

Don't feel too good about this Cooter guy. I'd much rather go with the younger talent in Philly

Cooter’s offenses were characterized by a lot of passing and not much in the way of a run game. The Lions ranked ninth, 11th and sixth in passing offense in Cooter’s first three seasons but were 32nd, 30th and 32nd in rushing over the same span. Cooter’s game plans resulted in 1,000-yard receiving seasons for Golden Tate and Marvin Jones, but Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford took a beating. Stafford was sacked an average of 42 times while Cooter was the Lions’ offensive coordinator, including a career-high 47 in 2017.

• Pie 4

17 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Don't feel too good about this Cooter guy. I'd much rather go with the younger talent in Philly

as long as hes not calling plays, and focuses on helping the QB get up to speed, then im all for it.   could have that "OC" title but will prob be Reich calling plays

32 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Agreed but I wouldn’t worry too much. I believe Reich calls plays if Cooter is hired as OC

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

38 minutes ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

if Brian Johnson doesn't become an option for us, I could see Duce staley as run game coordinator and Jim bob cooter as pass game coordinator while reich calls the plays

This^^^. While we all are interested in who the new OC will be there are contingencies in place until the right guy is found. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Johnson is the run game coordinator in Philly. So it’s the same issue but the inverse of what you are describing. We have Staley here for the run game coordinating… we need someone with a pass design background now. 

Of the three main rumored options… 2 out of the 3 are passing centric coaches. I don’t think Johnson is coming here with Staley in place.

• Pie 2

The Athletic may be a bit shortsighted on the Eagles staff front. 

They've got Kevin Patullo & Jason Michael who could both be OC candidates.  Both have strong connections to our new staff, mainly Reich and our passing game guys.  

Jason Michael had a few years of OC experience at age 28 in TEN for Wiz (I still find that crazy), direct ties with Reich in SD and IND.   I'm a fan of his.       

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

The Athletic may be a bit shortsighted on the Eagles staff front. 

They've got Kevin Patullo & Jason Michael who could both be OC candidates.  Both have strong connections to our new staff, mainly Reich and our passing game guys.  

Jason Michael had a few years of OC experience at age 28 in TEN for Wiz (I still find that crazy), direct ties with Reich in SD and IND.   I'm a fan of his.       

I was gonna say...