• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

#1 CJ Trade

razorwolf

1 hour ago, razorwolf said:

Okay I just wanted to hear other’s opinions. I don’t know about trading up, and then if the guy we want is gone then try to trade with another team back to later pick to regain draft capital.

I don't think that's ever happened in the top 10. 49er's made that huge trade up to #3 a month in advance and probably regretted it on actual draft night. More often the trades are made in real time with a specific player available, at least in the top 10/1st round

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

If you're not willing to trade up for a QB then you simply wont get your QB.

Sign Carr we will just enough games to not be able to get WIlliams/Maye next year.

So when we want our franchise QB we will have to wait until Tepper is stingy enough to trade for one.

You can't expect a franchise QB and not give up assets to get him.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

I wouldn't do it, but if you're going to do it, you better be correct about the guy. 

Generally yes, although the Rams, 49ers and Eagles all traded up to get QBs and wound up having tremendous success with a QB other than the one they traded all that draft capital for... Rams won the SB with Stafford after trading a ton for Goff. 49ers had NFCCG runs with Jimmy G and Brock Purdy in back to back years after trading a haul to get Lance. Eagles traded a haul to get Wentz, he contributed to their 1 seed in 2017 but it was ultimately Foles who brought them a championship and success down the stretch run and then also made a brief playoff run the following year. 

I wouldn't let the price scare me off even if there is a chance CJ or whoever it is busts. Screwing up this move ain't the end of the world. Coaching and ultimately landing a QB that fits well into that coach's system is ultimately what matters most. Gotta take chances to find that QB and it may not work out. Well worth the risk in my opinion.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

The teams ahead of us have a history of picking bad QBs in the draft. We have a history of picking bad QBs in the draft.

Maybe we should let them go first and clear out some of the well-hyped, but ill-equipped, and give us some better opportunities.

Our first round QB track record is pretty good…

What were we offering for Watson? The deal the Browns did was 3 1sts, a 3rd, and 2 4ths. I'd guess we were in that neighborhood.

How many of y'all were okay with that trade for a QB who ended up with a 38.3 QBR in 2022, but don't want to trade similar for the #1 pick?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, ericr0319 said:

If this was 2024 and Caleb Williams or Drake Maye are up there then I am all about it. But when you have a bunch of QBs that every one views differently and aren't even the top overall prospects on the board, then I am passing. 

Im so tired of hearing and seeing this every single year.  It seems like in every draft I hear "these QBs are trash but next year all the good QBs will be there".  In fairness, this isnt a slight just against you, A bunch of people do it, Im just tired of the take because we seemingly continuously put off taking a QB so we can get our guy next year, but next year never comes.  At this point, Im ready to just bite the bullet and take a shot.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

It'll take a lot more than 2 (1sts), a second and a fifth to move up to #1. A lot more. The Bears likely wouldn't move back as far as #9 anyway. They've gotta be targetting Carter or Anderson, so can't drop out of top 5. If CJ or Young somehow falls to around 4 or 5, then make a move. 

Still need another pass rusher, TE and ILB. Can't give up a whole draft hoping that a Mahomes is gonna be the prize. Rather solidify 2-4 other glaring holes and work with a vet QB for now. Not ideal, but makes more sense. Anything short of a Mahomes-level QB would be a fail. Too many deficiencies to overcome for a just good QB. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

53 minutes ago, t96 said:

Generally yes, although the Rams, 49ers and Eagles all traded up to get QBs and wound up having tremendous success with a QB other than the one they traded all that draft capital for... Rams won the SB with Stafford after trading a ton for Goff. 49ers had NFCCG runs with Jimmy G and Brock Purdy in back to back years after trading a haul to get Lance. Eagles traded a haul to get Wentz, he contributed to their 1 seed in 2017 but it was ultimately Foles who brought them a championship and success down the stretch run and then also made a brief playoff run the following year. 

I wouldn't let the price scare me off even if there is a chance CJ or whoever it is busts. Screwing up this move ain't the end of the world. Coaching and ultimately landing a QB that fits well into that coach's system is ultimately what matters most. Gotta take chances to find that QB and it may not work out. Well worth the risk in my opinion.

If your guy flops, then you're likely going to be screwed for a couple of years because you won't have enough draft capital to get it done. You might have a backup or another option in FA if you have your team together elsewhere, but a lot has to be falling into place for you to stay a legit postseason contender. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's less highly thought of at Ohio St than Fields was, right?

He was available at #9.

That's hard to say because of Fields' slide, but when the process began (and probably into February, if not March, not to mention their entire collegiate careers), I believe that Fields absolutely was thought of higher than Stroud has ever been thought of. 

• Pie 1