• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is it with this fanbase and their love for bridge vet QB's?

CamWhoaaCam

12 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

People are horrified of risk and think that playing it safe will win a SB

I think if this team was stacked we could get to a Super Bowl with Carr. Unfortunately we are not. I think with Carr out ceiling is, imo, a wild card birth with maybe one win until we inevitably meet the team that will cause Carr to throw boneheaded interceptions and Cousins all over the place. 

I think it's just dumb to put Carr in the same group as Teddy, Darnold, and Baker.  He's not top 5 but he's not close to those guys either.  Look at Carr's fourth quarter comebacks.  Look at all the coaching staff changes he's had over the years.  People were saying the same thing about Stafford before he had his success.  Nothing stops us from drafting a QB if there is one we like, AND getting Carr.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Unfortunately this will be the case every year because you are going to be in the same postion next year because the bridge QB won you just enough games to not get the top QB's in the draft.

At some point you have to bite the bullet and trade up for your guy. If not we will be signing bridge QB's every year.

So you want to trade half the draft this year and a one next year (and probably a player), to get a rookie who could possibly bust. Meh

There's one part of this conversation that is constantly left out and that is what is the time frame to put on Reich to win or he's out. Drafting a QB may be sexy, but it also may require 3 or 4 years before that player is getting it done with consistency. Bust with a Rosen followed by a Darnold and Reich and Co. are probably out of here. It's just a sad fact, coaches don't have 3 or 4 years to get it right anymore. They have 2 to show signs of real improvement or they're just as unemployed as Matt Rhule was week 6. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

There's one part of this conversation that is constantly left out and that is what is the time frame to put on Reich to win or he's out. Drafting a QB may be sexy, but it also may require 3 or 4 years before that player is getting it done with consistency. Bust with a Rosen followed by a Darnold and Reich and Co. are probably out of here. It's just a sad fact, coaches don't have 3 or 4 years to get it right anymore. They have 2 to show signs of real improvement or they're just as unemployed as Matt Rhule was week 6. 

You will have to ask Tepper that question.  His contract is for 3 years so I would say he at least gets 2 to turn it around. 

My guess? This season will set the floor that he will be judged on. From there I would say he better be trending upward in season 2 to even sniff year 3.

Edited by Jon Snow

12 minutes ago, MtnJax said:

Isn’t the idea of signing a bridge QB to then also draft a QB high so they can sit and develop a few weeks up to a full season before taking over? Kinda like we should have done when we signed Teddy?

This.

That was the allegedly the plan when we signed Bridgewater, unless he magically showed us he was the man.  When he didn't show that, we got into a battle of public words and effed up any chance of drafting his replacement in 2021 and staying the course for a year.

Just because our thin-skinned coaching staff at the time effed that up (with help from the owner) does not mean it can't be done right.  Kansas City managed to pull off that impossible feat with Alex Smith to Mahomes over the course of a season.

Unless people think Reich is as short-sighted as The Process.  If that is true, we are screwed, anyway.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’s a dumb idea. Mahomes sat because they had Smith and Smith was a playoff QB. KC was in the playoffs 3 straight years with 33 wins in those 3 years before Mahomes was the starter. Cincy didn’t sign a bridge QB for Burrow. LA didn’t for Herbert. Jax didn’t for Lawrence. Buffalo didn’t for Allen. Rodgers didn’t ride the pine due to a bridge QB, he waited for a HOF QB to leave. Hurts waited behind Wentz as a 2nd rounder. No bridge QB. Prescott took over for Romo, again just stepped in when Romo was done and he was a 4th rounder.

The whole sign a bridge QB and draft a rookie is not worth while. If we sign Carr it needs to be because we couldn’t afford or get a partner to trade up and we think Carr could win a SB with us. We don’t have a Smith, Fabre, Romo or Wentz so if we are going 1st round QB we don’t need a bridge QB.

I've been in favor of starting a rookie all along. If he flops you pick another next season.  But my job is not on the line as a fan. It's a little complicated when you have to put your job on the line. The owner may not agree with my approach. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Unfortunately this will be the case every year because you are going to be in the same postion next year because the bridge QB won you just enough games to not get the top QB's in the draft.

At some point you have to bite the bullet and trade up for your guy. If not we will be signing bridge QB's every year.

I know. I just don’t think that trade will materialize this year. I hope I’m wrong.