• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young might not be able to see over the offensive lineman’s hip pads.

electro's horse

3 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

Height barely has anything to do with batted balls.  Josh Allen had the most batted balls this past season.  Cam always seemed to have a decent bit batted down even.  It relies a lot more on the oline and the qb ability to find a passing lane than height.

Batted balls is just one of possible issues. My concern would primarily be injury related.

But even so, if he's there at 9 ...run to the podium. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the public/draftniks look at that more than most teams. It really depends on what kind of system you are trying to run.

There is a long history of very successful sub-6 foot QB's. Including a couple of HOFers.

As many have pointed out, one of the leaders in batted balls was Josh Allen. Batted balls is less about height and more about awareness. 

But, I sincerely hope the slide to 9 is related to frame and not playing ability. I would be all over that.

Idunno I just have this feeling he's more like 5'8 - 5'10 rather than 6 foot. That could just be an invalid viewing perspective though. Esp compared to his lineman. 

Hell in preseason vs. NE Corral looked like he was around 5'10 145 lbs to me lol. And he got hurt quickly into his first real action. 

The batted balls have alot to do with the Oline, the QB's throwing motion and release imo...

But like I said in my last post in here if he's there you take him. We can find a way to minimize any deficiency. 

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Especially for the linemen. Because they are so low and have to have their feet dug in so well, there really isn't a whole lot of flexibility for them. A couple thousand pounds of beef falling sideways is going to end up hurting 4 or 5 guys at once. They'll end up stopping it once they're having to cart off multiple players with Jason Sehorn like injuries. I remember watching that as he went airborne and almost puked. 

I'm actually surprised that anyone has an issue with this. If I'm watching a sport whose underlying message is, "my guy is bigger, meaner, and stronger than your guy" then I think this call is totally fine. And injuries already happen with big pileups as well. I don't see anything about this play that increases risks that they already have on the field.

I'm probably on an island with that one though.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, BrisbanePanther said:

I'm actually surprised that anyone has an issue with this. If I'm watching a sport whose underlying message is, "my guy is bigger, meaner, and stronger than your guy" then I think this call is totally fine. And injuries already happen with big pileups as well. I don't see anything about this play that increases risks that they already have on the field.

I'm probably on an island with that one though.

Player vs player I have no issue with it. A QB pushing over the top isn't going to affect the way that pile moves too much horizontally. Make that a QB pushed by 2 RBs and that can change dramatically depending on which way they decide to push. When all your muscles are tensed and you're body is positioned and driving forward, it's very difficult to react to a lateral move also. Also, extra falling bodies from behind can knock feet out  when traction is already a serious issue. I would liken it to trying to drive a truck with a loaded trailer and you have no idea if or which way it's going to fishtail. You may be able to control it, you may not. If you lose control though, the results aren't going to be pretty. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The roughest injury I ever saw on live television was Willis McGahee's knee in college. I was in college and a bunch of us were watching that game and I saw it and just started screaming. Like everybody y'all gotta watch this poo and now because they're only gonna show this replay once when they realize how ugly this is. I still can't believe he made a successful recovery from that.

I guess Marcus Lattimore's injury at South Carolina looked similarly and that one ended him.

As amazing as Frank Gore and Edgerrin James were (two Hall of Famers), Willis McGahee was the most freakish of the bunch.

That knee injury was a literal career ender for someone less athletic - how he managed to have a successful NFL career after that I'll never know. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

As amazing as Frank Gore and Edgerrin James were (two Hall of Famers), Willis McGahee was the most freakish of the bunch.

That knee injury was a literal career ender for someone less athletic - how he managed to have a successful NFL career after that I'll never know. 

That was brutal to watch. I didn't think he'd even walk right again after that much less play football. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the public/draftniks look at that more than most teams. It really depends on what kind of system you are trying to run.

There is a long history of very successful sub-6 foot QB's. Including a couple of HOFers.

As many have pointed out, one of the leaders in batted balls was Josh Allen. Batted balls is less about height and more about awareness. 

But, I sincerely hope the slide to 9 is related to frame and not playing ability. I would be all over that.

LOL

Is this a serious comment?

There is a "long history of very successful sub 6 foot QBs"?!?!??!

Frank Tarkenton, Theismann, Brees, and Vick were all 6 foot, Wilson is 5'11", and then there is Kyler.

You're not going to find many/any other good QB's who were that short, there being a small handful of them over the 50+ year history of the NFL is literally the exact opposite of a "long history of very successful sub 6 foot QBs"

Especially when you take into account all the great college QB's who were that short but couldn't become elite QB's in the NFL, the odds are extremely stacked against Young ever being an elite QB.

People keep pointing to guys like Brees and using him as an example of why Young can/will be successful.  Which while it's fair to use him as an example of a short QB who was great, but c'mon now, every draft there are QBs who are tall and don't live up to their pre-draft expectations.

To try and say Young can be good because of ONE player who was great and his size, is just a fools errand.  That's the equivalent of saying the chances of Young being great is 1 in however many QB's have been drafted in the last 20 years, which is not very good.

Edited by tukafan21

16 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

You know a guy is a freak when he has that severe of an injury and STILL goes in the 1st round.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The roughest injury I ever saw on live television was Willis McGahee's knee in college. I was in college and a bunch of us were watching that game and I saw it and just started screaming. Like everybody y'all gotta watch this poo and now because they're only gonna show this replay once when they realize how ugly this is. I still can't believe he made a successful recovery from that.

I guess Marcus Lattimore's injury at South Carolina looked similarly and that one ended him.

I remember seeing McGahee's injury and it put a knot in my stomach.  Theismann's injury gave me that same feeling.

• Pie 2