• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top contenders for QB's in the draft

panther4life

Draft position of teams MOST in need of a QB are bolded

1. Bears, no need unless they decide to trade Fields

2. Texans , Davis Mills was not good enough to preclude them from spending this pick on a QB. 

3.Cardinals( they are married to Murray and 0 threat to draft a QB, but possibly a great trade partner)

4. Colts, after hiring Steichen who helped groom Hurts, surely they must be eyeing a QB here. Could they try and jump their division rival and move up all the way to 1? I would if I were them.

5. Seahawks, Possibly. We will know more once we see what kind of deal they sign Geno Smith too, if at all.

6. Lions, seems unlikely. 2 more years on Goff's deal and Ben Johnson stayed for a reason.

7. Raiders, Clearly after releasing Carr and reports of being cash poor, a rookie QB here or using this pick to move up makes a ton of sense. 

8. Falcons, Right now they lead the rumor mill in the Lamar Jackson trade potential. They have the cap space to sign him to a mega deal, so maybe there's something there? MHS831 already pointed out, this would just put the Ravens in a place to take a QB with this pick and give them additional ammo to move up.

9. Panthers Finally here we are. We may have a slight advantage over the Falcons in a trade up scenario as have 40 and 62. Their 2nd round pick is 45.

-------------------

11. Titans, Yes they are behind us, but if anyone falls, they might like to jump us.  This is also Tannenhill's last year of his deal there, so we will see if they extend him.

13. Jets, Who knows what their plans are but again someone within range to potentially trade 

My quick thoughts.

Texans likely won't trade down but may try to secure number 1 overall if price isn't too steep, as a defensive approach from having the Colts (or anyone really)jump them.

Cardinals seem like the absolute most likely trade down candidate but how far would they be willing to go?

If no trades happen through 3, Colts can stay right there and have the 2nd QB selected, or possibly even 1st if the Texans miraculously pass one.

Raiders are a wildcard and do crazy things, but safe to assume they would look strongly at QB at 7 if they don't trade up.

Lastly, I don't even know if it's possible for us to move up to the 1-3 range if other teams are offering a lower 1st this year and similar future compensation. I think I would be ok with trading 9, 62, 2024 1st and 2025 1st if that got us to number 1 so we can have the QB of our choice. If were talking trading to 3, then that would have to be a draft day decision imo because, 1 and 2 could easily be back to back QB's.

It is ok to voice an opinion, but when half of the QBs drafted in the first round bust and few second rounders ever produce, it is because GMs and their scouts can't predict NFL success for college QBs that effectively.  So please do not call someone "dumb" for having an opinion that differs from yours.  This aint middle school (or maybe it could be).

• Pie 3

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It is ok to voice an opinion, but when half of the QBs drafted in the first round bust and few second rounders ever produce, it is because GMs and their scouts can't predict NFL success for college QBs that effectively.  So please do not call someone "dumb" for having an opinion that differs from yours.  This aint middle school (or maybe it could be).

Glad it's not me who has to make this choice.  For these guys, this choice will determine the next several years for them.  Whew!

I hope that if they trade up: we strike gold.  I really want that.  I have no idea what's going to happen, but maybe getting our character coach guy will move us closer to 55% instead of just 50%.

20 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

… when half of the QBs drafted in the first round bust and few second rounders ever produce, it is because GMs and their scouts can't predict NFL success for college QBs that effectively. 

This.  After the underwear Olympics, there are no surprises on ‘measurables’ but, the interview process to understand what goes on inside the head and heart of draft candidate is a very inexact science.  How do you score and grade the ‘intangibles’ that often define the difference between Delhomme and Darnold?  You could do an entire thread on intangibles and still struggle to define what characteristics equate to long term out performance.

And for those who reject going with a retread, I have a one word refutation: Delhomme.  

1 minute ago, bythenbrs said:

This.  After the underwear Olympics, there are no surprises on ‘measurables’ but, the interview process to understand what goes on inside the head and heart of draft candidate is a very inexact science.  How do you score and grade the ‘intangibles’ that often define the difference between Delhomme and Darnold?  You could do an entire thread on intangibles and still struggle to define what characteristics equate to long term out performance.

And for those who reject going with a retread, I have a one word refutation: Delhomme.  

I'm thinking Brian Decker may be able to help with parsing out the intangibles.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the top prospects will not be who the media is saying they are. There will be a few surprises that no one saw coming. It happens in every draft.

Every year has the Clelin Ferrell, Andrew Thomas, Stingley, Solomon Thomas types who has solid R1 grades on publications and then climbs to the top come pick time. 

This year, I’m thinking that’s Broderick Jones and Devon Witherspoon.

I think the surprise trade up will be from the Titans.

The AFCSouth is a lot like the NFCSouth in that there is a real shortage of capable QBs. Jacksonville moved ahead of the pack this season (thanks greatly to a coaching change) and now the Titans, Colts and Texans are all in chase mode. Note how high in the draft both the Colts and Texans are... for best choice they are going to have to wheel and deal, perhaps really mortgage the farm to find something that can take some of the warmth away from Vrabel's seat.

The NFCSouth has four teams with no decent QBs, so much so that Sam Darnold would probably be the best out of the bunch if it went ahead as is (if he were resigned). However, it's just Atlanta and Carolina in the top 10 picks, with the Saints and Bucs pinched a bit by placement, resources and cap space.

I'd still prefer to see us grab BPA at 9, or even trade back, and try to get a solid QB prospect on day two. However, I'm looking at our coaching staff and thinking that if they see their man, I'll cheer their pick and applaud their wisdom. 

• Pie 2