• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Franchise Tag Season

Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont understand why people are so shocked by these numbers. It's 'next man up' when it comes to QB contracts. 

If you are a top 15 to 20 starter in this league that you will almost always get a MASSIVE contract. 

This not new but people react like this every offseason. 

This guy gets it.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I have no idea why people are still attached to this "hometown discount" thing. That is so rarely ever the actual case.

It’s more likely a player would ask for more money to stay in a location they do not prefer. That may be what’s happening and would have the same effect. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

The problem they have is Saquan Barkley is up for a contract too. They can't tag them both and Barkley wants $16 million per. Do you keep your QB or do you keep the RB that your QB is reliant on? I don't see them keeping both without a deal getting done here in the next couple weeks, and it seems like neither is worth keeping for the money they each want.

Unfortunately, too many RBs are producing from late rounds to pay $16m per year. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Daniel Jones Agent:  They're paying the worst QB in the NFL, Sam Darnold, 20 million down in Carolina.  You've got to be worth at least twice that playing for the Giants and making the playoffs.

Daniel Jones:  I like the way you're thinking.

This is really accurate if you think about it, he led the biggest market NY to a very impressive year he earned it to me. In the nfl get paid immediately as much as possible you could die out there.

4 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont understand why people are so shocked by these numbers. It's 'next man up' when it comes to QB contracts. 

If you are a top 15 to 20 starter in this league that you will almost always get a MASSIVE contract. 

This not new but people react like this every offseason. 

Which is why teams are going with the strategy of trying to load up while they've got a quarterback on a rookie contract (like our own GM has said is the best way to go these days).

Yes, some quarterbacks are going to get overpaid. That doesn't mean every team wants to be the one paying them.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

9 minutes ago, trucpfan said:

This is really accurate if you think about it, he led the biggest market NY to a very impressive year he earned it to me. In the nfl get paid immediately as much as possible you could die out there.

It certainly is understandable from a player's prospective and with the salary cap is going up again, why not ask? 

From the Giants prospective, I'd want to see Jones replicate his recent level of performance for at least another season prior to signing him to a long term deal.

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I have no idea why people are still attached to this "hometown discount" thing. That is so rarely ever the actual case.

We're fans.  We want to think that players love us and our city as much as we think we love them.  When they won't sign for a hometown discount, they're dirty money chasing whores.  /s

• Flames 3

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which is why teams are going with the strategy of trying to load up while they've got a quarterback on a rookie contract (like our own GM has said is the best way to go these days).

Yes, some quarterbacks are going to get overpaid. That doesn't mean every team wants to be the one paying them.

This is why im very curious about what happens in Baltimore with Lamar. This is one of the smartest FO's in the NFL. So Im curious to see what they do. 

I think there is a blue print to draft mobile QB's run them into the dirt and rinse and repeat without having to pick up a 2nd contract. 

If they can get 2 1st rounders for Lamar then draft a player like Richardson....

3 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I suspect Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers have entered the QB conversation in the Giants HQ as well. 

"If we're going to have to pay Jones 45 million per season, we might as well see what else is out there before committing to him."

Tire kicking free agents.  It’s a thing…

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

It certainly is understandable from a player's prospective and with the salary cap is going up again, why not ask? 

From the Giants prospective, I'd want to see Jones replicate his recent level of performance for at least another season prior to signing him to a long term deal.

Apparently they're gonna try and keep him.

Among the consequences...

6 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I suspect Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers have entered the QB conversation in the Giants HQ as well. 

"If we're going to have to pay Jones 45 million per season, we might as well see what else is out there before committing to him."

If he gets 45 mil per season, the Giants will be the only one to pay it. They could try the nonexclusive tag. 

As for Carr, I don't know; Jones is young and has already done something Carr never has: win a playoff game. Carr is also 1-9 in games where it's 45 degrees or lower at kickoff. 

I don't think that the Packers will trade A-Rod to an NFC team, or at least that's a prevailing notion.