• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Franchise Tag Season

Mr. Scot

32 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Daniel Jones Agent:  They're paying the worst QB in the NFL, Sam Darnold, 20 million down in Carolina.  You've got to be worth at least twice that playing for the Giants and making the playoffs.

Daniel Jones:  I like the way you're thinking.

I do wonder how much Sam would cost at these rates

• Pie 1

For comparison the total value of the 1st overall pick is $40 million over 4 years! With only a 7.5 million cap hit in year 1.

If the Bears are willing to trade that pick and we believe in of these QB’s I don’t see how we can say no to any offer short of them asking for more than 3 1st rounders. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jones is a tag possibility.

Funny to remember that this time last year Jones looked like a middling quarterback at best. Daboll really helped him resurrect his career.

And for that, he gets this 😕

dream on, jonesy. not going to get that anywhere. you getting ready to get tagged.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

It has been less than 30 years (1994) since the NFL salary cap was instituted.  That year's cap?  34.6 million.  Another year or so and NFL teams won't be able to secure the services of a middle of the pack QB for that amount.  Our society's priorities/values are way out of whack. 

Seriously.  Having ANY player eat up around 25% of your cap is not a smart way to build a team.  Unless that player is Patrick Mahomes or maybe Joe Burrow or Josh Allen thats a tough pill to swallow

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, BrianS said:

The ludicrous dollars being paid to QB's these days is 100% the fault of the competition committee.  Their insistence on continually changing the rules to favor higher and higher scoring games brought this on.  Gone are the days when you could build a great defense and have an offense simply take the chances presented by that defense.  We'll never see SB's where guys like Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, Jim McMahon, etc lead their teams to a title.

In order to lower the QB salary range, you've got to make defense a real possibility for building a championship team.

The cap itself goes up each year (Minus the covid year), and with that so do salaries. Don't look at the total number, look at the percentage against the cap. Mahomes is the first QB since the salary cap has been implemented to win while taking up more than something like 13% of the team's cap or so. 

Also, we witnessed first hand a super bowl where a defense dragged the corpse of Peyton Manning to a championship. That was not the same Manning of years past, he was one of the worst QBs in the league that year. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

dream on, jonesy. not going to get that anywhere. you getting ready to get tagged.

Franchise tag for 23 is 32.4 million and 41.7 in 2024. That's a total of 74.1 divided between 2 years, so that's an average of 37 million over the next 2 years. I think that would become the bare minimum. If they met in the middle of 45 and 37 per year that rounds out to 41 per. 

The problem they have is Saquan Barkley is up for a contract too. They can't tag them both and Barkley wants $16 million per. Do you keep your QB or do you keep the RB that your QB is reliant on? I don't see them keeping both without a deal getting done here in the next couple weeks, and it seems like neither is worth keeping for the money they each want.

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

Honestly, this could get interesting for the Panthers. He was born and raised in Charlotte. If he truly wants out of New York, we would seem a logical landing spot and maybe he'd be willing to sign at a discount to play in his hometown.

I have no idea why people are still attached to this "hometown discount" thing. That is so rarely ever the actual case.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, SazmoRanger said:

Jones played well last year, but $45mil/year? That’s crazy…. It’s crazy that Murray, Wilson, and Prescott get paid that much too, so I’m sure he’ll get it. 

QB's make a lot of money.

It's why im shocked so many people against trading for Lamar Jackson. He is not going to be the highest paid QB for long. These contracts will continue to grow.

• Pie 2