• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Daniel Jeremiah Has us taking.....

micnificent28

57 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I suppose my shock level would depend on what they do in free agency.  Yes I too would be surprised that in that scenario they would go oline over dline.  I guess he is the best olinemen in the class so there's that. Other than that I see no scenario where they would draft the guy.

I'd expect DL, WR, or TE if we did something like sign Carr. Maybe FS if there's one justified taking top 10. Possibly CB depending on how we view Jackson's recovery. I just don't see OT at all. Not with a top 10 pick and other glaring needs. For maybe the first time ever OT is actually one of the Panthers'strongest group of starters. You're not drafting for depth in the top 10.

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Actually, Daniel Jeremiah has a lot of close ties to North Carolina, and went to Appalachian State, so he's usually one of the better when it comes to assessing things for the Panthers. This time, though, I was like "he's crazy."

Then I looked at what Taylor Moton is going to be costing us over the next three seasons. We need him for 2023 (and cutting him would not in any way improve our cap) but in 2024 and 2025 we'd save $10.7 million and $17.5 million by cutting him and letting someone else pick up the tag. And Moton, while still good, hasn't been great and those salaries he's scheduled for really demand greatness. 

A starting tackle on the first round salary schedule for four years and with a fifth year extension looks really attractive from a dollars and cents sense. Bookending it with another first rounder (Icky) on the same line looks really genius both in cost and impact.

Still, I'd rather see a DE or TE in that spot for us.

I'd been advocating for a while that we're going to need a replacement for Moton in the near future. Not sure if I want to use this year's first for it but then again, we had drafted Luke Kuechly when we still had Jon Beason (although I believe this was after Beason was out for an entire season due to injury). Don't really know how Skoronski stacks up but if he's seen in a similar light to Ickey last year, I can see us making this move, especially if we go the bridge QB option.

8 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I was referring to what Jeremiah said. I agree with you about fans complaining about the state of our oline. 

There are certainly arguments for going OL this draft. I would even say it's probably something the staff should do. But this draft reeks of someone who hasn't paid attention over the past year and is going off of previous narratives.

6 minutes ago, travisura said:

There are certainly arguments for going OL this draft. I would even say it's probably something the staff should do. But this draft reeks of someone who hasn't paid attention over the past year and is going off of previous narratives.

I actually think it's wise to go OL every draft, but not necessarily in the 1st. I like the idea of constantly bringing in new IOL talent and constantly developing a backup swing tackle in the 2nd or 3rd if we have a spare comp lying around. It's very possible for injuries to take down 2 or 3 linemen a year, and that constant influx of youth and development is requirement for maintaining a strong offensive line. 

• Pie 1

I'm honestly not even wasting my time with mock drafts this year, because I think the top five draft order will dramatically change. Why get worked up over who this guy has up picking at 9 when we really might not even be picking there? 

And I'm a guy that usually spends WAY too much time on mock drafts. A friend and I even go back and forth doing every-other-pick (seven rounds) on google sheets the week before the draft.

The only hypothetical where I’d like this is if we sent Burns, Moton, and one/two of our 2nd round picks for #1. 

Then we select Bryce Young at #1 and Skoronski at #9. Sign a DE in free agency and we’re looking good for the next decade if we hit on those two picks. 

Edited by ECHornet

Only 0 lineman I would want is one of the top centers in the draft with the 49ers 2nd rounder if we can't work a deal out with Bozeman....Now if we got Skoronski in a trade down where we picked up another 2nd or something and could keep filling out holes it doesn't make me sick, but we have bigger issues.