• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL.com ranks Carolina 2022 draft class as worst in NFC South

rebelrouser

nfl.com

Ikem Ekwonu had good and bad moments -- typical of any rookie left tackle -- but posted a decent PFF grade and didn't miss a game. With a step forward in Year 2, he can become a reliable blind-side blocker for the team to build around. Matt Corral's rookie season ended before it began due to a Lisfranc injury that landed him on injured reserve in August. Quite unfortunate, because he almost certainly would've had the chance to see the field, given Carolina's QB struggles.

Brandon Smith spent the majority of his rookie season on special teams, playing just 53 defensive snaps in 12 games. Amare Barno played sparingly in nine games, registering 22 more snaps on special teams than defense, recording nine tackles and two sacks. That said, he logged a decent PFF grade despite the limited action. Cade Mays registered two starts (though he only played 11 combined snaps in both wins) and compiled average PFF grades while also contributing on special teams. Kalon Barnes didn't make the 53-man roster and eventually caught on with the Vikings, playing nine special teams snaps over two games.

Undrafted free-agent signee Raheem Blackshear filled in at running back behind D'Onta Foreman and Chuba Hubbard when called upon (especially following the Christian McCaffrey trade), carrying 23 times for 77 yards and three touchdowns while catching 10 passes for 93 yards. Marquan McCall filled a rotational role, playing 186 defensive snaps and recording 15 tackles (two for loss) in 16 games.

Eh, we’ll see. Icky was a slam dunk, it was a great draft for him alone. Other than Corral the others still have a good shot at developing into good players. I only say not Corral because we’re obviously going after someone else this year and he won’t get much opportunity. 

Edited by JawnyBlaze
  • Pie 1

Can't say I disagree. I believe he will be a solid NFL tackle for years but his ceiling is higher at guard. Corral was taken in the 3rd round of a horrible QB draft class and has serious Will Grier vibes. I think Mays will develop into an above average NFL starter. Jury is still out on McCall and Smith. 

Technically McCall was an UDFA.

Edited by Cdparr7
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 3

I barely remember who we drafted outside of Icky. And honestly don’t care. LT has been such a need and is such an important position that his success this year has been nearly Cam’s rookie year impact to me. Icky is a piece that lets us build the rest of the offense

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

I don't think they are giving Ickey enough credit, he alone boosts our draft class to a B-, yeah we missed on every other pick so far as it stands but a franchise left tackle is a huge foundational part of a successful team.

Barno is going to eat as an OLB in the 3-4. 

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

I don't think they are giving Ickey enough credit, he alone boosts our draft class to a B-, yeah we missed on every other pick so far as it stands but a franchise left tackle is a huge foundational part of a successful team.

Arguably the 3 most valuable positions to draft are:

Franchise QB (?)

-

-

LT (Icky)

DE (Burns)

-

DT (Brown)

WR (Moore)

CB (Horn)

-

RT (Moton)

LB (?)

C (? Bozeman)

-

OG

TE

RB

-

K

P

LS

We have Icky, Burns now we just need a franchise QB.

1 hour ago, thunderraiden said:

Ickey was not good in pass protection. Period. I don't care what his rating was. He was beat in some of the most important parts of the game, consistently.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 7

2 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Ickey was not good in pass protection. Period. I don't care what his rating was. He was beat in some of the most important parts of the game, consistently.

So that whole thing of not giving up a sack for over half a dozen games or so (I forgot the final total) was accomplished by a blocker who's "not good"? 🤔

• Pie 5

ickey made that draft a success. that was the #1 priority...well, that and a QB but whatever.

imo, we needed to get that OL set up a year before we got our franchise QB. we now need to keep that gang together, especially without rhule getting his fingers in the mix.

but as long as we 1) got our LT and 2) didn't give away any picks that we might need to secure our franchise QB this year, it was a success.

• Poo 1