• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Tight End question

Mr. Scot

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From Mike Kaye...

Daniel Jeremiah thinks the depth of this year's rookie TE class might make teams less likely to spend big money on a veteran guy, which at least conceivably could make veteran TE prices go down.

If you're hoping to see a new tight end option join the Panthers offense this year, would you rather wait and try to pick up a vet cheap down the road or just go ahead and look into that deep rookie class and find your guy there?

Both. It doesn't have to be a high price veteran and signing a FA doesn't prevent drafting one either.  Lots guys available in FA with plenty of tread left on the tires and can be had reasonably.  No need to get a top 5 TE in FA.

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I still can't believe we spent a 3rd round pick on a TE who had 35 catches for barely over 400 yards and 4 TDs in his entire college career.

Are you really surprised though?

This the same franchise who signed Teddy Bridgewater, traded a 2nd rd pick for Sam Darnold, and brought Baker Mayfield in which he played the worst football of his career.

Hopefully the new staff doesn't make those same mistakes.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Mid-level vet and still have TE on the draft board. That Ian Thomas contract was such a colossal mistake. He should honestly be a post-June 1st cut. Trimble is fine as a #3 TE on a cheap rookie contract. 

I still don't understand why we re signed him much less gave him like top 15 money when he probably will be out of the league when we let him go. 

Here is how I see it---draft players that are expensive--QBs, for example.  In free agency, sign the players that are not that expensive.

That way, at expensive positions you have a percentage of players on rookie deals, and you are not overpaying for veterans.

If QBs are $40m and I can have one on the roster for an average of $8m over 5 years, then it is better than having a rookie TE for 5 years at an average salary of $7m when the TE vets make $12m.

• Pie 4

27 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Here is how I see it---draft players that are expensive--QBs, for example.  In free agency, sign the players that are not that expensive.

That way, at expensive positions you have a percentage of players on rookie deals, and you are not overpaying for veterans.

If QBs are $40m and I can have one on the roster for an average of $8m over 5 years, then it is better than having a rookie TE for 5 years at an average salary of $7m when the TE vets make $12m.

Not a bad strategy at all. Like sign a FA linebacker and draft pass rushers, sign a FS and draft CBs?

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Gesicki and draft one with one of our 2s

Gesicki is the guy they should be targeting 

Having a real receiving threat at TE opens up so much. Reich likes his tight ends and Gesicki would also be a massive threat down in the red zone

Plus given we’re most likely rolling out a rookie QB you’re going to need a reliable TE 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Gesicki is the guy they should be targeting 

Having a real receiving threat at TE opens up so much. Reich likes his tight ends and Gesicki would also be a massive threat down in the red zone

Plus given we’re most likely rolling out a rookie QB you’re going to need a reliable TE 

Yeah our top 2 FAs should be Bozeman, then Gesicki. Maybe a depth vet WR and defense from there. A legit TE receiving threat will help our red zone and take some pressure off DJ Moore.

• Beer 1