• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thank u Christian Kirk

Rags

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

WR and RB should really only be addressed through the draft and neither should be given a second contract. 

RB because it's just too easy to replace and second contracts aren't really worth it.

WR because they are getting just too pricey. 

every once in a while you can find a bargain, but those will be rare and rarely worth the effort regardless of price.

You don't develop a Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Jerry Rice, Mike Evans, Jamarr Chase, Cooper Kupp, Davante Adams or any other legit WR1 walk in their prime. That's crazy talk, and not a long term plan for success. Sure, you might be able to get away with it, if you have an all-time great, but you might not. RBs and WRs are very different animals. The dynamics aren't the same. The notion that you let them go because you have to pay them doesn't work too well most of the time.

Edited by top dawg

7 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I've been thinking a lot about this. And I agree wholeheartedly. 

Too many mid-level guys out there getting big money contracts (or even bottom tier guys like Sideshow Bob) for positions that aren't in on every play. And I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it, if your star player is a WR your team has a whole host of problems.

Draft RBs, Edge and WRs high, use the four low cost years of their contract, and a fifth if they are really good, and then send them out to get the big paychecks somewhere else. 

Pay the men on the line to keep them, pay the QB when you have a good one, and keep decent pay to your DBs and LBs. And if you have a hoss at NT, pay the man to keep him happy.

But $18 million for a WR2? We're doing something like that already and it just isn't working out.

I agree with this with one addendum: You pay the Julios, the Megatrons and the JJs of WRs in their prime, we've seen far too many times an Elite WR and even a Good QB is enough to carry a bad offense. 

The biggest issue is IDing when you have a JJ and when you have a DJ when it comes time to putting pen to paper.

34 minutes ago, Rags said:

I also want to say I think we're selling too low on D.J. here lol. He's a low end #1 - High end #2 and the value we have him at is nuts rn. 

Like what would a “true number 1” even look like in the offenses and situations he has been placed in since he was drafted. Would have to be elite, damn near unable to be guarded to be successful. This season was so trash offensively that he couldn’t keep his 1,000+ yard seasons up

Dj doesn’t even have a QB that could throw an accurate 50/50 ball and let him go attempt to make a play consistently. 

I agree, we have a #1, I agree low end (until we see otherwise) but we do. Sadly with as long as he’s been here his environment around him is still a dud and many receivers with his ability probably would have or already had been looking for a way out.

• Beer 1

Thank the fuging jags......

Kirk got a decent season, fyi....

But holy Satan balls, just cause someone earns the right to hit free agency, doesnt mean YOU have to over-pay them........No one is holding a gun these teams GM&coachs heads. Just dumb teams doing dumb signing like many past years...