• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DARNOLD

CPcavedweller

I didn't want him the first time!!! Honestly ready for a different QB, but.......

It gos to price, got to be on the cheaper side........... He already got his payday from panthers...

If...if..if.... he came back, I feel it needs to be around 5mill max, or bU-bye...

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I've bashed the poo out of Sam Darnold but I honestly would not mind him at all in a backup role. Seems like a good dude. Seems like a good teammate. He can play well in spurts but struggles with consistency over the long haul.

Sounds like a solid backup QB to me.

Someone said that when he did that ill-fated Podcast appearance back then, he mentioned he would be cool with being a backup.   I'm guessing he would kinda dig doing the Josh McCown role which would be ironic since Josh would be the QBs coach.  

Edited by glenwo2

20 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Define "Preliminary discussions".

What does that even mean?

Is it like "Say, Sam....You want to come back?"   Sam's like "Sure."  and that's that?

Or is it "Uh Sam...so if you want to come back, you'll have to be a backup or a Bridge QB 'cause we're drafting one."  Sam's like "uhh....." ????

Darnold has been a backup and handled it very well. He is willing to compete like he did with Baker and let the best man win. When  he didn't he did everything he could to help the starter succeed.  So he would approach it the same way with a rookie.  Better that than a vet to be the starter like Carr who likely wouldn't want to be there just as a mentor and a backup

• Beer 3

Here's my thought process on this whole situation (and that's IF Newton's usual speculation comes to fruition) :

If Sam Darnold is signed, that tells me they are looking to trade up for Bryce or CJ, have Sam show them the ropes for 5-6 games and put them in

If they Sign Derek Carr, AR-15 will be drafted and sit for 2 years because Carr won't be wanting to back up anyone.

Edited by glenwo2

10 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Here's my thought process on this whole situation (and that's IF Newton's usual speculation comes to fruition) :

If Sam Darnold is signed, that tells me they are looking to trade up for Bryce or CJ, have Sam show them the ropes for 5-6 games and put them in

If they Sign Derek Carr, AR-15 will be drafted and sit for 2 years because Carr won't be wanting to back up anyone.

Or if Carr is signed not draft a QB in the first round. 

On 3/1/2023 at 6:20 AM, CPcavedweller said:

I know I'm going to catch a lot of POOOOOOP emojis for this. But when it the last time a 2nd overall pick at QB had such awful coaching staff's his first four to five seasons? He was coached by the affable (laughable) Adam Gase and Matt Rhule; Rhule who probably also set back Joe Brady's career by a good four years, if how we performed offensively following Rhule's departure is any indication. 

We now have Frank "The 2nd (Weimar Republic)" Reich, Jim Caldwell, and Tommy Brown. Darnold went 4-2 down the stretch and led us to quite a lead over the Bucs before the offensive line forgot how to block and the defense decided that they wanted to be the only team not to defend Mike Evans. If we defend Mike Evans, we probably win that game.

Now you have to ask yourself, is Year 0 of Frank Reich the year we contend for the Super Bowl? We have re-tooling on defense due to a 3-4 scheme change, we've spent draft picks and cash on QB's every year since 2019 without much to show, and we now have a former top draft pick with an "All-Star Coaching Staff".

I think this is a question of resources. What do we believe we could do with Darnold? Surely he is on the same level as a Jared Goff, who it turns out is more than adequate, turning the Lions around and leading the Rams to the Superb Owl? Surely we won't be wasting the ninth pick on a guy like Will Levis when we have a complete Reformation that isn't too far off from 16th Century Europe on defense to make?

MY PROPOSITION (since everyone here loves everyone elses plans): Fraft Anthony Richardson at 9 and re-sign Darnold for a very reasonable price which would still allow for us to develop the talent base of the team; OR) Trade down in the 1st, nab a later first, another 2nd, and maybe even a 3rd or 4th, take the best guard in O'Cyrus Torrance, the top TE in Dalton Kincaid, and re-sign Darnold to a 1 year deal, and work to see what you have in Corral. There is defensive talent that will be available on Day 3 (looking at you, Coastal NT Jerrod Clark).

Well I certainly hope Frank Reich stays here a LOOOOOONNG time now, because we all know what happened after the Weimar Republic…