• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlie Campbell: Panthers love Bijan Robinson

thunderraiden

13 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Lol right?  Let's trade CMC and try it again!

If you could get CMC again at rookie wages...

That's why I said earlier this week that's why I'd take him with our pick, especially if we could trade back four or five spaces.

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

That's why I said earlier this week that's why I'd take him with our pick, especially if we could trade back four or five spaces.

Trading back maybe.  Top 10 no way.  We just have more pressing needs that RB which can be replaced in the mid rounds...

9 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

He'd be BPA, and yet people would RIOT! 

Lmao

Yeah, the PC thing for GMs to do is talk about how they always want to select the BPA. 

Bullshit.

The best strategy is getting the best value for the pick. That means making selections that make the best economic sense AND fit the philosophy of the coaching staff. 

The most expensive positions in the NFL are QB, DL, WR and Edge, which is why we typically see those positions come off the board quickly. There are exceptions for unicorns like CMC but even that pick has been questioned.

Draft early to fill the most expensive positions unless you find a unicorn. Robinson is going to be a very good RB, but I don't think he's a unicorn.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Agreed
CMC was expensive, poo staff, and got injured all the time

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Trading back maybe.  Top 10 no way.  We just have more pressing needs that RB which can be replaced in the mid rounds...

But, if we have a veteran QB, with the offensive line intact (if injury recovery and resigning go well), then grabbing the best RB in the draft (and a very CMC similar skill set with a bit more mass) could be the biggest asset possible in getting our offense on tract.

I'm also looking that we grab him now, work him hard for the four years standard on the rookie contract and let him go out into the free agency world with a great resume, heavy stats and a higher price tag to someone else. He'd end up costing us less than $6 million a year, which after Foreman's performance may be less than he'd cost us to retain with a smaller skill set and more mileage. Foreman also wouldn't net us any compensatory picks when released later on while the first round RB would net us an additional 3rd.

I just think it makes a lot of sense on paper and on the field and in the salary cap department.

3 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

Yeah, the PC thing for GMs to do is talk about how they always want to select the BPA. 

Bullshit.

The best strategy is getting the best value for the pick. That means making selections that make the best economic sense AND fit the philosophy of the coaching staff. 

The most expensive positions in the NFL are QB, DL, WR and Edge, which is why we typically see those positions come off the board quickly. There are exceptions for unicorns like CMC but even that pick has been questioned.

Draft early to fill the most expensive positions unless you find a unicorn. Robinson is going to be a very good RB, but I don't think he's a unicorn.

I don't disagree, I'm just laughing. 

I don't know anything about this guy and generally speaking I agree that RB is a devalued position which I'd be wary of overdrafting.  But this kind of black-and-white thinking is what had a bunch of posters against drafting Micah Parsons because "I ain't drafting no damn LB in the first round!!" and we see how that turned out.  Rather than overly harping on the position itself, I think it's more useful to evaluate each prospect individually and the entirety of their skillset and what they bring to the table.

Edited by MasterAwesome
  • Pie 2

10 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I don't know anything about this guy and generally speaking I agree that RB is a devalued position which I'd be wary of overdrafting.  But this kind of black-and-white thinking is what had a bunch of posters against drafting Micah Parsons because "I ain't drafting no damn LB in the first round!!" and we see how that turned out.  Rather than overly harping on the position itself, I think it's more useful to evaluate each prospect individually and the entirety of their skillset and what they bring to the table.

I mean even the Cowboys realized the positional value and played Parsons at edge 90% of the time this season.