• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk about the Will Levis hate

GOAT

Here's the analysis Kaye is referencing...

Levis is an inconsistent player on tape, but he possesses ideal size, arm strength and athleticism. He is a power thrower, capable of fitting the ball into tight windows at the second and third levels. However, he needs to get more consistent underneath. He has bad misses, especially when throwing to the left. He tends to close off his front side, which severely impacts his ball placement. I admire his toughness to stand firm in the pocket, but his lack of awareness leads to him taking some monster hits, spawning ball-security issues. He moved around much better in 2021, showing quickness and power as a runner. This past fall, due to his own injuries and a lesser supporting cast, he wasn't as effective. Overall, Levis is gifted, but has some bad habits he needs to clean up in order to be a reliable NFL starter.

Kaye has stated several times that Levis is somebody the Panthers like a lot.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 3

I want to like Levis as I watch him and I think he has a profile that should be really easy to like. I’ve watched more Levis tape than most of the QBs combined.

Everytime I think I’ve decided I’m in another example of him not having any sense for pressure and him processing a few ticks slow pops up and I just can’t buy in.

Some things I think are very important and separate the good QBs from the meh QBs is how they see the field and how they manage the pocket and pressure and it’s his two biggest flaws imo.

He 100% had talent issues around him this year and I think Rich Scangarello is horrible and did him zero favors. When I look at 2021 tape I see the same issues as well, I don’t know if it’s arm overconfidence or what but he seems to see the open receiver and then wait a second or two before he wants to throw it and it really causes a ton of his accuracy issues, maybe he doesn’t trust himself I don’t know. He also tends to cause some of the pressure he receives by not having a feel of where people are in the pocket.

I’d be fine taking him but I think in terms of him vs ARich his flaws have been historically harder to fix than ARich’s and I think ARich in the pocket is night and day better.

There is something to work with but I don’t think he’s going to be a top 10 QB ever personally and will always be someone dependent on a top tier oline to be successful. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

I do see a lot of Locker in him, but that’s not necessarily a negative as a prospect. If he can be developed it could turn out positive.

I just have no clue why you’d take him over Young or Stroud, especially when I think his biggest issue is similar to Strouds biggest issue in terms of managing pressure but Stroud actually has tape showing him improve in that area and Levis just seems to have gotten worse.

• Pie 1

I don’t like him because I watched all the throws available to see. It doesn’t matter who is around him if you look beyond stats. He looks uncomfortable in his offense, he misses throws, I’ve said it before: tools are great but if you don’t know how to use them it doesn’t matter what tools you have.  He’s really inaccurate, his throws aren’t in stride, on time, and setting his receivers up for success. Stroud and Young are light years ahead of him.  Richardson is on the same level, might just a hair behind him, in this regard but the reason many are more comfortable with Richardson is because the upside outweighs the negatives. He’s such an athletic freak that he can rely on that while he learns the other part of QBing.  Levis is athletic but not like Richardson, and what I see in Levis is someone that will be not get it in time to continue having the opportunity to play. 

And I loved Allen, he was my QB1 in that draft.  People just have to learn to look beyond stats and actually watch them play. Then you can see past “who they play with” or “what team they play for” and recognize their individual pros and cons. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

21 minutes ago, GOAT said:

I've debated making this thread because it can go a few different directions, directions I'm really not trying to steer this conversation to.

Also, if I've learned anything about discussing opinions on the internet - it's that you're never going to change someone's mind.

Levis has been a top QB prospect since last season. 

Our owner is enamored by him.

Reports indicate that Levis is one of our top rated QB's.

Levis looked the part and threw very well at the combine.

Levis has been in an NFL style offense for the last two seasons.

His first coach went on to be the Rams OC, and he adjusted to working with another pro style play caller but with obviously diminished numbers.

Levis has no 5 stars running round him. No offensive line. Think of the Panthers offense while Cam was here, in college form. That's the Wildcat's.

Is he raw? Yeah, he definitely can use some coaching. He can definitely use some weapons, and definitely could use a line. The basics.

I believe with the right staff / situation, Levis will flourish and have the best pro career out of all of these QB's.

Now, where the fug is all this hate towards him coming from?

I'm seeing it everywhere, here, twitter, any comment section.

"Dude is trash"

"If the Panthers draft Levis I'm done"

People ranking prospects like AR above him. AR is a huge project too with inconsistent tape, playing with a way better supporting cast. Okay, he ran fast and jumped high at the combine. Why does this catapult him over Levis? Levis reminds me of Josh Allen, both his college tape and the pre-draft hate he's receiving. 

What is causing this baseless hate? Might want to start actually watching this guys tape rather than hating on him for whatever weird reason, or because you have some draft crush on another prospect like AR, or because he puts mayo in his coffee.

Levis might very well be the Panthers next QB, and like I said above - with this staff? Best possible scenario all around.

oc mayonnaise GIF

Did he only start because the head coach had no one else and went with the vet in the room?

I don't hate him.

I asked the board during the combine how would you rate the top QB's based on what you have seen. Majority of the answers where Stroud/Bryce/AR and they had Levis on a tier below as he didn't belong in that top tier.

Im cool with any of the top 4 if we being honest.

I still prefer a franchise QB though. Lamar and Rodgers are my top priority as I believe we can win a SB with either of them right now.

• Pie 1