• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB breakdowns by Josh McCown

Martin

23 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Do you mean reality stuff? This is Frank Reich's career and reputation on the line. Josh will get to voice his opinion I'm sure. But the loudest voices in the room are Reich and Fitterer.  

I know its not popular, just being me. Josh has never done this job before, you could point to his 19(?) years playing QB and say he has. SOmewhat...... I point at ricky prohel, whom had a similar long career in many roles just like Josh. I thought ricky would do great............. turns out he couldnt get to authoritarian side of being a coach and wanted to be the rooms buddies. Its different when you need to have enforce standards and discipline, but you can not since youre in "friend/buddy" mode.  

There have been all sort of reports form texans wanting to name Josh HC to eagles begging him to be QB coach. Many speak highly, just this is his first year. Its a grid too, but I think his best asset is understanding how to reach "modern" players...... which in itself is a whole another issue. 

Heat is on.......Glad Josh is on the staff, have to see how this plays out...

On 3/10/2023 at 2:34 PM, jayboogieman said:

If the guy can play and take a hit, he can play. And Young can has proven he can do that against future NFL guys.

He suffered a shoulder injury after getting hit while running the ball against Arkansas last season and had to leave the game and I believe he missed a start thereafter.  Young is a better athlete but Stroud is the better QB.  

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, Buckeye Homer said:

He suffered a shoulder injury after getting hit while running the ball against Arkansas last season and had to leave the game and I believe he missed a start thereafter.  Young is a better athlete but Stroud is the better QB.  

His injury was more of a weird fall when trying to get the ball off getting pushed out on the sideline, kinda reminded me of the time cam first got hurt against the chargers when he just feel on his arm at a weird angle.

He definitely felt like he could easily coach Bryce and CJ.  So I love that.  It seemed like he feels he could jump directly into the finer points of QB play with Bryce while the only real fundamental problem he would have to fix with CJ is keeping 2 hands on the ball.

On 3/11/2023 at 8:01 AM, Jon Snow said:

You guys do realize that McCown does not get to pick our qb right? 

He doesn't, but if they are looking at three guys or whatever and he says, "you really don't want to push your chips all in on this guy" then they probably should listen.

Same with any of the rest of the coaching staff/position assistants for a particular position they are looking at. 

With McCown, he's been around long enough, in enough situations, and with a large sample of good and bad QBs over his very long career that you've got to think he knows his poo.

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

He doesn't, but if they are looking at three guys or whatever and he says, "you really don't want to push your chips all in on this guy" then they probably should listen.

Same with any of the rest of the coaching staff/position assistants for a particular position they are looking at. 

With McCown, he's been around long enough, in enough situations, and with a large sample of good and bad QBs over his very long career that you've got to think he knows his poo.

I never suggested that he didn't know his poo. I'm saying he doesn't get to decide who's selected.  I think Frank knows a thing or two about qb's himself.  He and Fitterer are the only two that make the final decision. I think ultimately it will be Fitterer and Tepper who decide which QB is taken. 

• Pie 1

CJ is very similar to Dak Prescott. If we take him the coaching staff thinks they can improve his intangibles to a tier above. 

With Young I see a lot of Russell Wilson and Mahomes, it's obvious he's influenced by them. But he's just really small. Russ was built and Mahomes is much taller.