• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Pauline: CJ Stroud or Anthony Richardson

TheSpecialJuan

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

When people say that AR-15 has the most 'upside" I have to pause.  The only reason he is in the conversation is due to that upside, so it is baked into the conversation.  If he reaches his maximum upside, will he be better than Young or Stroud if they reach their maximum upsides?  And to reach his maximum upside, he will have to run the ball--hoping for a 10 year career.  So even in the best case scenarios, he is not a top 2 pick.

How many top NFL QBs were workout warriors at the combine?  Do not be enamored by the impressive bells and whistles if the basic ingredients common to all successful QBs are not first considered.

Richardson has a lot of potential. Then again, so do the other top 3 QBs. Well, maybe not Levis since he's older. A lot of people are so hung up on having Cam or Cam2.0, they're willing to latch onto any QB that has similar skills, size, and play style.

Just now, Icege said:

If they believe that AR-15 is the guy and can convince Houston or Indy to swap with them and regain some lost assets...

Harrison Ford Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

That's what I'm thinking there.  I wouldn't trade the pick to the Colts though.  They would punk us and draft Stroud or Young.  The Texans on the other hand, if they give us their extra 1st round pick and they draft Richardson, that would be a FLEECE!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Tarheel119 said:

There are also reports that Tepper loves Young. I think we’ll continuously hear this stuff for the next 40+days.

At some point I wonder if Tepper embraces the rumor mill and just starts floating crap out there just for misdirection and laughs.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

So some are saying it's Stroud or Young, Some are saying Stroud or AR, some are saying any of the 4.  The common variable is Stroud.  I'm thinking a team can trade up for our pick if they want to overpay and we would be OK with AR as plan B, but it was need to be a dumb trade.  Desperation may set in after FA who knows...  Stroud is plan A at 1.

Yeah, pretty much every iteration I've seen of "the Panthers like" is "Stroud and (insert player here)". 

Stroud is the only guy everybody seems to be able to agree on the Panthers wanting.

Worth noting though that this doesn't guarantee he'll be the guy.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Breer actually stated that one of the reasons we decided to go all the way up to #1 is that there wasn't a huge difference between what the Bears wanted and what the Cardinals wanted for their respective picks.

Rumors do not equal the truth. Breer is a useful mouthpiece for certain people, but that doesn't mean everything he hears is true. The only way the truth about what the Cardinals wanted will come out is if another team moves up and to their pick and pays a similar price to what the Panthers paid for the Bears' pick.

• Pie 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

Should we think, "The Colts want Levis if picking at #4?"  I mean, is that perception based on the idea that Young/Stroud are gone by #4?  There are going to be some shocking picks during this year's draft.  To counter that point, did the Colts try to trade with the Bears (to me, that was the obvious trade up partner) but maybe they did not have the WR the Bears wanted?  I dunno.  What are the lies and who are the spies?

Personally, I think we would take any of the four, BUT AR is solid QB4.  All the staff has to do is have full conviction that some team ahead of us WILL take him.  Honestly, we would be fine with any of the other three, IMO.  If the Cardinals don't trade back, we could be looking at two prospects even at pick #4.  Moving back with the Texans will get us a mid-second round pick back, but moving back to #4 will get us a first round value, approximately pick 12 (or value thereof) back.  BIG, BIG difference!!!

2 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Rumors do not equal the truth. Breer is a useful mouthpiece for certain people, but that doesn't mean everything he hears is true. The only way the truth about what the Cardinals wanted will come out is if another team moves up and to their pick and pays a similar price to what the Panthers paid for the Bears' pick.

Breer is probably the best behind the scenes reporter you can find.

And with the trade being over, there's no reason for anybody to smokescreen any of this stuff. Hell, look at what he said about the Panthers discussions (or lack thereof) with the Colts and Texans.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

Just now, 45catfan said:

Personally, I think we would take any of the four, BUT AR is solid QB4.  All the staff has to do is have full conviction that some team ahead of us WILL take him.  Honestly, we would be fine with any of the other three, IMO.  If the Cardinals don't trade back, we could be looking at two prospects even iat pick #4.  Moving back with the Texans will get us a mid-second round pick back, but moving back to #4 will get us a first round value, approximately pick 12 (or value thereof) back.  BIG, BIG difference!!!

If we trade to the Colts, it's because we are getting what the Bears wanted.

Is anyone bothered by the fact that Justin Fields and Dwayne Haskins basically had the exact same stats (maybe better) than Stroud? We seen how good of a passer they ended up being and it wasn’t great.

we’ve seen Alabama QBs translate to the NFL recently (Hurts,Tua,Jones)

Could Stroud just be a product of the system that doesn’t translate to the NFL?

• Beer 2
  • Poo 2

Just now, rmoneyg35 said:

Is anyone bothered by the fact that Justin Fields and Dwayne Haskins basically had the exact same stats (maybe better) than Stroud? We seen how good of a passer they ended up being and it wasn’t great.

we’ve seen Alabama QBs translate to the NFL recently (Hurts,Tua,Jones)

Could Stroud just be a product of the system that doesn’t translate to the NFL?

Bama fan?

• Pie 1