• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason LaCanfora: Dave Tepper loves Bryce Young

TheSpecialJuan

Tepper has let his coaches make their own choices to their detriment in the past. Feels like he’s treated as a boogeyman in this regard when his issue has been hiring dumb people who make bad decisions. He’s feeling himself about this staff he’ll let them make their decision. 

• Pie 3

FWIW, I get the vibe that.....

• Brown and Caldwell know that Bryce is the better choice.
  • I think McCown wants Stroud.
  • Reich and Fitts are connected now and will end up being the final call, IMO. 
  • The Teppers have done a better job this offseason of asking what Fitty and Reich need and providing the resources to accomplish this. I think they 100% have input, but inevitably will fade into the background after putting in their two pennies.

I think Reich will entrust Brown, McCown, Caldwell and Dekker to put in their thoughts and come to a final decision. Reich will then discuss with Fitterer and finalize our future QB1.

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, Mage said:

Jason La Canfora is a joke.

I think it triggered a lot of people on here to jump to conclusions.  Tepper was humbled by the whole Rhule experience IMO and has hired guys that know what they are doing for a reason.  If they draft Young over Stroud it will not be simply because Tepper likes Young even though many will push that narrative.

To me, the most telling comment was when Fitterer said the following:  “Nothing’s too big for him. Like, he can walk into any environment and be in total control. At 21 years old, if I walked into a restaurant, sat around with a bunch of 40, 50-year-old men, it’d be a little intimidating. Instead, he just sat there and asked us questions. We asked him questions. . . . Just a really, really solid person.”  Fitterer also said, "(the way he sees the game) he's at a different level.  He's already at that NFL level..."

In other words, this 21-year old kid can lead veterans. In the non-Madden, real world, the locker room is important, especially for a QB.  He can see the field (process--play point guard) and he is ready to start day 1.  Ultimately, this is Fitterer's decision.  The owner likes Young, some of the coaches prefer Young.  (I am not sure that Reich has a favorite, but I would lean Stroud). 
These comments, if not smokescreen, describe qualities where Young surpasses Stroud.  If all true, Young is the pick.  However, the head coach and QB coach prefer Stroud, then there will be debate.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

26 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I think he’s just running with Reich likes Stroud bc he’s always had bigger QBs. He doesn’t know who Reich actually prefers. I don’t think he truly knows who any of them like most. 

He has always had bigger QBs and the results have been mixed.  As a former QB, would he be more impressed with the size of the QB or the leadership and processing speed?  I am asking--I dunno.  I can say that if you spent time with Young, you have to like and admire the guy.  Or did he walk out thinking, "There are middle school QBs bigger than Young?" 

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

He has always had bigger QBs and the results have been mixed.  As a former QB, would he be more impressed with the size of the QB or the leadership and processing speed?  I am asking--I dunno.  I can say that if you spent time with Young, you have to like and admire the guy.  Or did he walk out thinking, "There are middle school QBs bigger than Young?" 

From everything I’ve heard from Reich about what he looks for in a QB, elite processing sounds like it’s close to the top along with playmaking ability. Measurables were downplayed by him. I guess we’ll find out soon, but I think there’s a good chance it’s Young. 

3 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

spacer.png

Nah, dude. Choosing a coach and choosing a QB is not the same. 

Tepper was a new owner still feeling around to find his way. More experienced owners were trying to hire Rhule. Let's just be thankful that Tepper has learned from his mistakes and that the Rhule era is over