• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Mortensen: Bryce Young is the pick, they all love Bryce Young

TheSpecialJuan

Pretty sure, when interviewing coaching candidates, Tepper subtly or not, framed the trade up as an offer you can’t refuse.

Probably asked questions about retread QBs in such a way that there was one obviously one answer that might get you the job and one that might get you “we’ll be in touch….”.

Honestly I don’t really value anyone at the price we are paying but if they put that into Young I will think they have lost their minds. 

People here, y’all are not pros so I don’t expect you to not be emotional fans, but Fitterer, Reich, and the rest of them are pros. I keep telling myself that ha ha. But I would be pretty well shocked if they take Young, so am not stressing over it when I hear someone say they will. I just don’t believe it  

Personally I am looking forward to seeing which guy falls out of the top 5 and how far. And which of the non top four qb prospects gets picked the highest. Just to see where reality puts things.  

15 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

well in my eyes, the biggest Stroud questions were that he had a supporting cast that at least last year from a WR perspective, Young did not have anything close to. For me, the Iowa and Michigan games from Stroud offered moments where I wowed at the TV--several times in each game, and sat there thinking "even though his receivers run the routes, catch the balls he throws, get open, and extend plays with their talent, he is still making eye popping throws, processing insanely quick," and for me his process/timing from looking off/making decision to throw to the moment when the ball hits the WR hands is one of the fastest processes I've seen in college. 

We can make tons of comparisons to what Stroud could be in the league based on his strengths but all of the guys that come up (Dak, Carr, Goff, Burrow, etc) I did not see that specific strength from in college (didn't watch Carr at Fresno St tbh but saw plenty of the others and Burrow is mostly an exception because his one year was just that--exceptional). 

So--after the Iowa/Michigan tapes, THEN that made the UGA performance in the playoffs with the stakes against the best defense available to face provide the final test/answer to my question of 'is CJ elevating talent around him or are they elevating him" to which I think the answer can be both but that CJ is also doing insanely impressive things regardless of the talent surrounding him. 

I think Young does the same--I've never questioned that about him in high school or college.  I do have questions about it translating as well to pro, but I think it's going to be exciting AF to find out, and I think the prospect of having a non-traditional QB is normally the more exciting prospect of rooting for and being right about---but that's the inherent risk too is that when/if it doesn't, we're sitting here staring a lot of "told you so" in the face. 

I'll add this too--in some respects with that it almost seems like Houston has the easier path here. They just take whoever is left between the two and if THEY are wrong--they don't have to answer to "why didn't you take the other guy?" At the same time--i've said it before. I like that we put our nuts on the table and did the thing and that I don't have to ask 'which retread QBs are available/can they play at league average for 8 games' anymore. I get a dude whose jersey I can wear while he runs out the tunnel for half a decade or a full one. I'm excited AF for that.

Very well said!

To me on Tangibles it's 50/50 (i'll even give Stroud a slight advantage due to bigger arm).

It's the intangible where I'm a bit uncomfortable with CJ but very Comfortable with Young.

for instance he lost twice to Michigan who had somewhat similar talent. Yes, it wasn't his fault in either game, but he didn't push his team to victory either.

The UGA game, he played a hell of a first half. Marvin Harrison gets injured in the 3rd. CJ enters the 4th QTR with a 13points lead and loses the game.

The offense scored 3pts the final QTR. Yes, he did lose his top weapon, but he still had Egbuka, Flemings & the TE with a 13pts cushion. He put them in position to win in the end, but watching that game entering the 4th, it felt like the game was over. UGA was on the rope & somehow came back to win it. 

Ppl compare CJ's situation with to Burrow as far as having a bunch of weapons & the fact that it didn't stop Burrow from succeeding in the NFL. That's a very fair point! 

But Burrow put up record breaking numbers when he had his weapons. He won a championship & a Heisman with his weapons.

Now, I'll concede that Intangibles are very hard to evaluates, especially as a fan who doesn't get the behind the scene of how the sauce is made. So I could be 100% wrong about CJ's intangibles & the guy is actually clutch in big moment more often than not.

So with that, for me, once players have certain tools, a good team situation, which I believe both CJ & Bryce will have in Carolina, Intangibles is what separates their careers.

Intangible is the difference between Burrow & Goff for instance. They have comparable arm talent, accuracy, size etc...But they are on 2 different levels when it comes to playing the position even though they both had good teams with weapons. 

5 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

It’s going to be Bryce.

Wasn’t there rumors how Houston didn’t want to deal with Strouds agent, due to him also representing Watson? I guess that might explain why there’s now rumors Houston would go Will Anderson at 2, and try to grab a qb at 12. 

Im with you, though. I think the pick is going to be Bryce. I’ve felt that way a few weeks now, and I’d be cool with it. In fact, I’ve been shifting more towards Bryce anyways after wanting Stroud for so long.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

I saw somewhere say that Bryce should be fine in the NFL because he wouldn’t  be taking as hard of hits in the NFL as he did in college because of how the nfl protects QBs. I just think that’s something to think about if your worried.

Well that just doesn’t really make sense. Everyone in the NFL is bigger and faster. Presumably they might do a better job of protecting him and not let him take as many hits but he will clearly get hit harder in the NFL. 

Even rules in place to protect the QB won’t overrule the size and speed of DEs, DTs, LBers and S in the NFL.

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan

17 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

I saw somewhere say that Bryce should be fine in the NFL because he wouldn’t  be taking as hard of hits in the NFL as he did in college because of how the nfl protects QBs. I just think that’s something to think about if your worried.

You know the refs aren't going to step in and stop a huge dlineman from landing on him right? Whomever we pick is going to get hit. Possibly more than average depending on the health and depth of our OL. That's another layer btw. Some folks seem to think our OL is set and already one of the best. That's not the case.

• Pie 2

He's 3/4 inch shorter than Wilson who's won a superbowl.

Meanwhile our first round picks in 2021 and 2016 were on the big size for their positions and they were injured and out most of the year.  Our 2014 big receiver missed his entire sophomore season due to injury. The 6'2 QB we drafted last year was IR'd in preseason.  This notion that bigger guys don't get hurt as often just isn't supported by the data  or our experience.  How many injured QB's did we go through last year?  How many in 2019?

Young is going to get hurt as some point, as it appears most QB's do.  I bet in the end he doesn't miss anymore games than a typical QB. 

7 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Meanwhile our first round picks in 2021 and 2016 were on the big size for their positions and they were injured and out most of the year.  Our 2014 big receiver missed his entire sophomore season due to injury. The 6'2 QB we drafted last year was IR'd in preseason.  This notion that bigger guys don't get hurt as often just isn't supported by the data  or our experience.  How many injured QB's did we go through last year?  How many in 2019?

Young is going to get hurt as some point, as it appears most QB's do.  I bet in the end he doesn't miss anymore games than a typical QB. 

Completely different playing styles 

12 minutes ago, poundaway said:

98% of the quarterbacks voted MVP over the last 50 years were 6'2 and up.

Russell Wilson isn't a good enough reason to pass on Stroud sorry.