• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which player will benefit the most in the 3-4 Defense

NAS

Which player do you think will benefit the most in the new scheme?  Choose only one

I actually think it will be Brian Burns.  With his size and speed he will be more dominant in the pass rush coming off the edge.  I predict more than 15 sacks this season. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

You hit it on the head. If Brian Burns were in a 3-4 when he turned pro he would have at least three 10 sack seasons by now. He gained weight and filled out his frame over time to better suffice as a 4-3 end, but let’s be honest, it’s always been difficult for him against the run. He’s no longer out of position and will not have to line up against 310 pound offensive tackles on every play. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Brown, Chinn, and Burns are the obvious answers.  But three players i expect to thrive with the new coach are Barno, Horn and Luvu. Luvu and Horn are smart instinctive players who should kill it this year. Barno is similar to Burns as a rookie undersized( for a 4-3)  but a fast and dangerous pass rusher.  If we can add in upcoming years another young corner, ILB, NT and another 3-4 DE the defense is pretty much set up to be a dynasty. 

Scary thing is with some luck and skill we could do most of that this year.  Within two offseasons this defense will be nasty.  

Edited by mickeye76
  • Pie 4

5 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

Brown, Chinn, and Burns are the obvious answers.  But three players i expect to thrive with the new coach are Barno, Horn and Luvu. Luvu and Horn are smart instinctive players who should kill it this year. Barno is similar to Burns as a rookie undersized( for a 4-3)  but a fast and dangerous pass rusher.  If we can add in upcoming years another young corner, ILB, NT and another 3-4 DE the defense is pretty much set up to be a dynasty. 

Scary thing is with some luck and skill we could do most of that this year.  Within two offseasons this defense will be nasty.  

Ding ding ding we have a winner here. Barno, Horn and Luvu are going to become names known around the NFL rather than just here in the Carolinas. 

Burns, Brown, Chinn and Shaq all have league-wide reputations. I think they will live up to those reps and thrive but the three you mentioned will really explode onto the scene if this goes well.

Wouldn't it be nice to be a feared defensive team again???

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, mickeye76 said:

I’ve only known being a fan of a 4-3 defense. This is the first time I’ve really had to pay attention to a 3-4 defense and what makes it tick in my whole life. I’m 50 this year.

Having said that, this is very exciting to me when I think about a dominant defense, which I’ve always absolutely loved, and a rookie QB on an offense that makes plays. Oh man, I might…just might…finally get that Panthers Super Bowl tattoo I’ve been designing and redesigning for years.

• Pie 1

Good question OP---I think Burns, Shaq, Brown, Chinn, Barno, Roy/McCall and Luvu. 

Here is how I see each benefiting: Those of you who think that Luvu is going to play OLB, insert the other ILB of your choice instead of Luvu.

ILB--Luvu and Shaq:   ILBs have pretty simple reads, allowing them to play faster. "If you have a 3 technique called to your side, you line up in a 30 and have A gap responsibility.  If you have a 5 or a 7 technique called to your side, you line up in a 30 and have B gap.That’s it. Pretty simple."   ILBs read through the G, basically telling them where the play is going.

• Base/Zone block
  • Reach block
  • Pull Play side
  • Pull back side
  • Down block
  • Scoop block
  • Veer (type) Block (I am not sure I have seen this in the NFL)

The ILBs will win or lose in the film room.  Some NFL teams use their Guards as "decoys" at times, especially in the RPO systems.  Nonetheless, I see both LBs benefiting from the 3-4 because it requires less range and less thinking--make your read and go.  I never liked Shaq as an OLB or ILB in a 4-3--always seemed like a tweener to me.

NT--Roy and McCall:  In the world of DTs, you are asking a lot from 340 lb former college NTs to play a 3 technique because they often lack the assets needed to succeed there.  Instead, the NT is basically a beast who occupies the center and stuffs both A gaps.  I am not sure if Roy and McCall can do this on the NFL level, but the likelihood for them to improve in this setting compared to what they were asked to do last year is there.  A good NT can draw a double team, something the ILBs will love.

OLB--Burns and Barno:  I could add Haynes to this list, but I want to focus on the 2 who will benefit the most.  Barno had to be celebrating the most, because he was a misfit in the 4-3 alignments.  If he can learn to bend like Burns, I could see him as a powerful third (rotational) Edge at some point this year.  At times, these players need to run with slots or TEs, so his speed will be much more of an asset.  Burns, on the other hand, just got more difficult to block, imo, because the DEs are solid and will require attention (imagine Brown and Burns on the same side).  I expect Burns to have a 12-14 sack season if he is not used in coverage a lot.

DE--Brown: Brown has the athleticism to dominate as a 3-4 DE because he can beat both a G and an OT with equal levels of success.  He will require double teams or RB attention in the passing game, freeing people like Burns to face 1-1 situations.  He can rush the passer if and when needed, and he can draw a double team and anchor.  At 330 lbs he is huge for a DE, but he carries it well.

???--Chinn:  When Shaq renegotiated his contract and remained a Panther, nobody celebrated more than Chinn.  I think Evero will be very creative with Chinn, and we will see the most improvement out of him vs 2022 than any other player.  I think they will play him at "big nickel" SS, and at either LB spot, depending on situation.  He will have autonomy.  His intelligence and physical gifts will be maximized, unlike 2022.  Chinn will dominate in 2023 but I have no idea where--just don't put him on the DL.

I would also like to add this:  I have thought YGM was the odd man out, but do not forget, the Panthers can use him to convert to a 4-3, making his fairly valuable in some situations.  So maybe he will have a role--just not as a starter.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Good question OP---I think Burns, Shaq, Brown, Chinn, Barno, Roy/McCall and Luvu. 

Here is how I see each benefiting: Those of you who think that Luvu is going to play OLB, insert the other ILB of your choice instead of Luvu.

ILB--Luvu and Shaq:   ILBs have pretty simple reads, allowing them to play faster. "If you have a 3 technique called to your side, you line up in a 30 and have A gap responsibility.  If you have a 5 or a 7 technique called to your side, you line up in a 30 and have B gap.That’s it. Pretty simple."   ILBs read through the G, basically telling them where the play is going.

• Base/Zone block
  • Reach block
  • Pull Play side
  • Pull back side
  • Down block
  • Scoop block
  • Veer (type) Block (I am not sure I have seen this in the NFL)

The ILBs will win or lose in the film room.  Some NFL teams use their Guards as "decoys" at times, especially in the RPO systems.  Nonetheless, I see both LBs benefiting from the 3-4 because it requires less range and less thinking--make your read and go.  I never liked Shaq as an OLB or ILB in a 4-3--always seemed like a tweener to me.

NT--Roy and McCall:  In the world of DTs, you are asking a lot from 340 lb former college NTs to play a 3 technique because they often lack the assets needed to succeed there.  Instead, the NT is basically a beast who occupies the center and stuffs both A gaps.  I am not sure if Roy and McCall can do this on the NFL level, but the likelihood for them to improve in this setting compared to what they were asked to do last year is there.  A good NT can draw a double team, something the ILBs will love.

OLB--Burns and Barno:  I could add Haynes to this list, but I want to focus on the 2 who will benefit the most.  Barno had to be celebrating the most, because he was a misfit in the 4-3 alignments.  If he can learn to bend like Burns, I could see him as a powerful third (rotational) Edge at some point this year.  At times, these players need to run with slots or TEs, so his speed will be much more of an asset.  Burns, on the other hand, just got more difficult to block, imo, because the DEs are solid and will require attention (imagine Brown and Burns on the same side).  I expect Burns to have a 12-14 sack season if he is not used in coverage a lot.

DE--Brown: Brown has the athleticism to dominate as a 3-4 DE because he can beat both a G and an OT with equal levels of success.  He will require double teams or RB attention in the passing game, freeing people like Burns to face 1-1 situations.  He can rush the passer if and when needed, and he can draw a double team and anchor.  At 330 lbs he is huge for a DE, but he carries it well.

???--Chinn:  When Shaq renegotiated his contract and remained a Panther, nobody celebrated more than Chinn.  I think Evero will be very creative with Chinn, and we will see the most improvement out of him vs 2022 than any other player.  I think they will play him at "big nickel" SS, and at either LB spot, depending on situation.  He will have autonomy.  His intelligence and physical gifts will be maximized, unlike 2022.  Chinn will dominate in 2023 but I have no idea where--just don't put him on the DL.

I would also like to add this:  I have thought YGM was the odd man out, but do not forget, the Panthers can use him to convert to a 4-3, making his fairly valuable in some situations.  So maybe he will have a role--just not as a starter.

Good insight!

• Beer 1