• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How the Top QB's performed when faced with pressure..

Yeah pressured and blitzed are two different things. He knew where to go for a quick completion when blitzed or his OL stopped the blitz which would leave the defense at a disadvantage. A lot of these pocket passers can make you pay when you blitz. When pressure actually gets to him is where you see Stroud’s numbers drop.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

In terms of handling pressure, both excelled the past two seasons, but Young was significantly better.

During that stretch, according to ESPN Stats & Information, Young ranked first in passing yards (2,132), passing touchdowns (24) and completions of 20-plus yards (34) when under pressure. Stroud ranked 16th in total yards (1,364) and passing touchdowns (15), and was 20th in completions of 20-plus yards (20).

The big difference is Stroud seldom had to make plays outside the pocket for the Buckeyes because his protection was so good. He never had a game with more than eight rushes in his career.

Young often had to ad-lib because of breakdowns behind a line that for Alabama was substandard, yet his production didn't suffer.

In 2022, Alabama's offensive line allowed a quarterback pressure within 2.5 seconds 9.9% of the time, which ranked 29th in the country. Ohio State's line ranked 17th at 8%. However, Alabama ranked 80th in pressure rate allowed at 29.2%, and OSU ranked 22nd at 23.4%.

In 2022, Stroud had a Total QBR when pressured of 30.6 and 85.3 when blitzed. Young's Total QBR was 30.1 when pressured and 89.9 when blitzed.

Edited by Luciu5
  • Pie 3

7 hours ago, PanthersGOATFan336 said:

Every stroud hater is going to lose it,  their arguments are dispelled by numbers or film..The guy is just elite..it'd be a outright shame to pass on him for teddy bri....Bryce young. I'll cheer for the panthers regardless but missing out on a pure, accurate passer and thrower of the ball is asinine

You’re assuming you know more than our staff which contains people who actually played in the NFL.

Lets see who they pick and why.

• Pie 2

58 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

In terms of handling pressure, both excelled the past two seasons, but Young was significantly better.

During that stretch, according to ESPN Stats & Information, Young ranked first in passing yards (2,132), passing touchdowns (24) and completions of 20-plus yards (34) when under pressure. Stroud ranked 16th in total yards (1,364) and passing touchdowns (15), and was 20th in completions of 20-plus yards (20).

The big difference is Stroud seldom had to make plays outside the pocket for the Buckeyes because his protection was so good. He never had a game with more than eight rushes in his career.

Young often had to ad-lib because of breakdowns behind a line that for Alabama was substandard, yet his production didn't suffer.

In 2022, Alabama's offensive line allowed a quarterback pressure within 2.5 seconds 9.9% of the time, which ranked 29th in the country. Ohio State's line ranked 17th at 8%. However, Alabama ranked 80th in pressure rate allowed at 29.2%, and OSU ranked 22nd at 23.4%.

In 2022, Stroud had a Total QBR when pressured of 30.6 and 85.3 when blitzed. Young's Total QBR was 30.1 when pressured and 89.9 when blitzed.

Sounds like their performance was very similar under pressure in terms of QBR, which is very interesting. Most yards etc is a little bit less interesting as the times they were pressured is a multiplier of sorts.

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Will you still be a Panthers fan if we don't select your guy?

Something tells me you will follow Stroud wherever he lands.

I do see people setting themselves up for major disappointment, and arguing in such a way that they will have to choose between holding onto their beliefs, or supporting the QB we actually draft. 

It’s fine favoring a prospect, but both these guys are talented players, and both are a chance at fixing QB. 

• Beer 2

49 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I do see people setting themselves up for major disappointment, and arguing in such a way that they will have to choose between holding onto their beliefs, or supporting the QB we actually draft. 

It’s fine favoring a prospect, but both these guys are talented players, and both are a chance at fixing QB. 

Exactly.  I've said I favor Stroud, mostly because I am concerned about Young's general physical stature taking NFL-level beatings over the course of a season.  Now granted, I am a little biased because of the way our OL's have allowed our QBs to be beaten in the past (and I hope that is past tense....finally).

But, I see 19:2 and 21:2 TDs to Ints in that stat line and it makes me smile.  It tells me that neither QB was exactly doing stupid things when they were under pressure.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

That was his completion rate in 2022, but in 2021 he was better under pressure which means he can do it, I am not sure what happened to him this season. 

According to PFF, his completion percentage when pressured (51.5 percent) leads the Big Ten and ranks 16th nationally. He likewise leads the conference while ranking second nationally in yards per attempt (12.2) while throwing under pressure, and he’s No. 1 in the country in passing efficiency when pressured.

PFF also loves Will Levis A LOT!  When they mock him it is a debate at 2 based on their QB rankings.  One podcast, they were talking about over the middle throws and how Stroud struggles. The other dude on the show pulled up his numbers and said..according to this he is pretty good!  Then they redefined what over the middle throws were adjusted their model to go...see...He struggles. Its weird how they sort of showed a bias, adjusted their rating model in real time

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, PanthersGOATFan336 said:

Every stroud hater is going to lose it,  their arguments are dispelled by numbers or film..The guy is just elite..it'd be a outright shame to pass on him for teddy bri....Bryce young. I'll cheer for the panthers regardless but missing out on a pure, accurate passer and thrower of the ball is asinine

Being blitzed isn’t the same being pressured.  His line could have picked up the blitz.  Go look up his grade under pressure and how it compares to the other top QBs.

With that being said, I’m not against stroud, just when using stats you need context.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Being blitzed isn’t the same being pressured.  His line could have picked up the blitz.  Go look up his grade under pressure and how it compares to the other top QBs.

With that being said, I’m not against stroud, just when using stats you need context.

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/topic/183592-how-the-top-qbs-performed-when-faced-with-pressure/?do=findComment&comment=6139497

Check out the last paragraph in that post. 

Edited by JawnyBlaze