• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

App State QB Armanti Edwards on Michigan upset, ‘dark times’ with Panthers

ladypanther

On 7/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, Murph said:

He was mainly drafted to sell tickets? John Fox didn’t want him?  We gave ip the 33rd pick in the following draft to get that? I’m hoping he is exaggerating or was misinformed because that is horrible.

If you don't remember all of those things being said at the time, maybe you weren't as in tune. But literally each and every one of those was said in the media, in this forum, and it was assumed by the players.

• Pie 2

Gettleman was a bitter little man with a power complex and no real ability. I hold him responsible for destroying Cam Newton's career by never adequately investing in protection for him.

Byron Bell started an entire season at Left Tackle in his second year. What else do you need to know about his ability to manage an NFL roster?

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

(" The reason (for being released) that I got from Gettleman is that I was never the same after my aunt died.")

What a lame excuse or reason for telling a player why they were released. I feel for Edwards and the way Gettleman handled his release  and it makes him look like a jerk and a small person.

That may be revisionist history from AE. It is hard to conceive a GM telling a player that.

• Pie 2

On 7/12/2023 at 9:14 AM, scpanther22 said:

A lot of executives act like this and we tend to let them because we think they're the smartest person in the room  

we?

you got a mouse in your pocket?

Never in my life have I thought a football executive was the smartest guy in the room.

Unless they other people in the room were all six year olds.

This upsets me. I always knew Armanti had the deck stacked against him here, but I didn't know it was that bad. It was a dream come true when we drafted him, now I wish we never did and he was given a proper chance. 

I was in Ann Arbor for the Michigan game and had season tickets through his entire collegiate career. He will always be my favorite athlete of all time regardless of his time with the Panthers. 

Edited by App Panther
  • Pie 2

20 hours ago, ladypanther said:

I believe Corral is in a good place now.  The staff will work with him and I am betting they hope he can be the #2 at some point...prob soon.  If he does well, there will be opportunities.  I think this staff can and will develop players on both sides of the ball.

Matt Corral doesn't want to be #2 QB, as a competitor I'm sure he wants to be a starter. His opportunity to start just won't be with the Panthers. 

On 7/12/2023 at 1:10 PM, CmC2k said:

I know Ron gets a lot of the blame for running Cam into the ground, but I feel that Gettleman deserves more blame for that then he currently gets. Gettleman's refusal to build the team around Cam is what forced Ron to have to make Cam carry the entire offense. 

A lot of truth to this. I'm not certain that it would've gone any different no matter what, but the way the roster was built Cam had to carry the offense. I mean, we did TRY to put some receivers around Cam, we just chose poorly with KB and Funchess. The utter failures on the OL was pathetic though. Even our studs Gettleman either inherited (Kalil) or fell backassward into with Turner (3rd rounder) and Norwell (UDFA).

I never understood how it was supposed to work, the way Gettleman had it figured. 
He was wrong, period, and should know better after spending a life in football. 
His reasoning was get a big target.

But the target being missed will just get missed higher or taller. Because inaccuracy is inaccuracy at 6’ or 7’ or 10’. You get a tall receiver you literally gain a few inches over a short one. That’s about it. If the ball is much higher no one is gonna reach it. 

If you can’t hit a target that is above sea level by 6 feet you won’t be accurate trying to hit a 7’ high target.

Because you aren’t throwing at a 6’ target anymore, and figuring you miss it by three feet so the taller longer arms guy is going to be able to reach something over the head of a shorter player, is bad figuring. 

I am spending hundreds of words trying to verbalize the point but basically you don't fix inaccuracy by moving the target to where the misses are. The aim will be there, and the misses will no longer miss there. 
So get me a guy who can jump and catch and separate from coverage, and get the quarterback to get his mechanics together. If he is tall, whatever, but no more lumbering natural tight ends with iffy hands in the first round, please. 

I loved Gettleman his first year because of the draft of two DTs where we had not had any quality since Jenkins left. And I am a believer in having big guys up front that will win the point of attack on both sides of the ball. 

Book should be written and done after his second chance in NYC was kind of more evidence against him being really good at his job. 

Edited by stratocatter

2 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Matt Corral doesn't want to be #2 QB, as a competitor I'm sure he wants to be a starter. His opportunity to start just won't be with the Panthers. 

Yea...but he has to get to #2 1st.  In that position, with a 17 game season...odds are he will get a chance to play.  If he shows he can be the guy he will get a chance and the Panthers will get some good compensation.  Win win.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

we?

you got a mouse in your pocket?

Never in my life have I thought a football executive was the smartest guy in the room.

Unless they other people in the room were all six year olds.

if it doesn't apply let it fly,  internet language 101

3 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Yea...but he has to get to #2 1st.  In that position, with a 17 game season...odds are he will get a chance to play.  If he shows he can be the guy he will get a chance and the Panthers will get some good compensation.  Win win.

It isn’t possible to know what the future holds but 17 games say that everyone will be needed. 
Stranger things have happened than a backup being put into the job because he was next man up. 
Kurt Warner says hi. Tom Brady is waving too. 

Edited by stratocatter