• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Ickey?

Jackofalltrades

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

David Newton is trash but not gonna lie, Ickey has looked concerning this preseason. Dudes are just blowing right by him practically untouched.

This is my thought as well.  He is a slow starter at least and you can call that whatever you want but he has looked unprepared so far

8 hours ago, Jackofalltrades said:

David Newton has called into question the ability and progress of our young LT. At this point I’m not worried, but there have been some glaring errors. Hopefully he’ll continue to develop into the LT we need to anchor the OL and keep Bryce upright. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/37875/protecting-bryce-young-is-ikem-ekwonu-a-concern-on-panthers-o-line

Not giving Newton a click.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

He's a 22 year old starting left tackle. What you hope to see is a solid amount of good with some not so good sprinkled in because he's going to take his lumps. You either believe he will put in the work or you don't it's that simple.

Sounds about right to me. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

He's a 22 year old starting left tackle. What you hope to see is a solid amount of good with some not so good sprinkled in because he's going to take his lumps. You either believe he will put in the work or you don't it's that simple.

Yep, he can’t be perfect this early in his career. Getting beat a few times in preseason doesn’t make me question his existence at LT.

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

I said it draft night. I like the pick because if he doesn't work at lt, you have an elite LG. 

I think he ends up being a LG and one of the best in the league. 

I hope he works out long-term at LT but positional versatility was why I thought he was the safest OL in the draft last year. If he doesn't work out at LT he can potentially play pretty much anywhere along the OL.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope he works out long-term at LT but positional versatility was why I thought he was the safest OL in the draft last year. If he doesn't work out at LT he can potentially play pretty much anywhere along the OL.

I hope he works out at LT as well and he's definitely got a chance. 

15 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Aside from a few 3rd down miscues (missed blocks, wrong route, etc) it hasn't been THAT bad. It's not like we are turning the ball over a ton or look completely outmatched. Just a few mental errors that can absolutely be cleaned up in time for the regular season but will it happen? We'll see the injuries and seemingly the musical chairs at RG are also concerning. Maybe they expected Corbett to be back by now or maybe it was the plan to have Zavala start their from day one who knows. Hopefully it works out.

1st team offense has scored a fg so far. Bryce has taken 3 big hits and 2 of them were bc of Ickey. That’s bad

• Pie 1