• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF Grades From Lions v Panthers Preseason Week 3

Mr Mojo Risin

Oh yeah after that first drive Ickey absolurely cleaned it up after that first drive. Super releiving to see and hopefully he's got the yips out with the snaps last night.

How did C.J. become a top 10 pick? I never expected him to live up to the potential but gah damn at least play close to the 3rd round value. All the talent just seems so apathetic and lethargic, I can't imagine he interviewed well. 

Edited by Rags
  • Pie 3

3 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/best-worst-pff-grades-panthers-180515424.html

Top 5 Offense:

1. TE Giovanni Ricci: 84.0
2. G Brady Christensen: 78.8
3. OT Ikem Ekwonu: 76.6
4. QB Bryce Young: 75.4
5. C Sam Tecklenburg: 72.1

Bottom 5 Offense

27. QB Matt Corral: 48.6
28. G Michael Jordan: 46.4
29. QB Andy Dalton: 44.4
30. TE Ian Thomas: 41.2
31. RB Camerun Peoples: 27.9

Top 5 Defense

1. ILB Deion Jones: 77.9
2. CB Herb Miller: 77.1
3. ILB Brandon Smith: 74.4
4. OLB Yetur Gross-Matos: 73.9
5. CB Jaycee Horn: 71.5

Bottom 5 Defense

25. DT Shy Tuttle: 47.3
26. ILB Bumper Pool: 45.6
27. OLB Eku Leota: 39.6
28. CB CJ Henderson: 28.3
29. ILB Kamu Grugier-Hill: 27.4

Some personal notes:

- Icky played a lot better than people wanted to give him credit for because he gave up another sack. He's definitely had an up and down preseason (mostly down) but I think the worries are a bit overblown and exaggerated. Let's wait until the regular season before we start declaring our young LT a bust and in need of a position change.

- No surprise to see both back up QBs on the bottom 5 in offense. Both struggled although I did like what I saw from Dalton. Don't believe we'll be keeping Corral on the 53 but can see him wind up on the PS.

- Good to see our back up LBs in Deion Jones and Brandon Smith play well. Hopefully both make the team but I think only one of these players will make it. Despite Grugier-Hill having a pretty rough game I think he and Deion Jones make it as the back ups.

- No surprise in seeing CJ Henderson score so low again. I'd wager he has the most bottom 5 finishes out of all of our defensive players. I can't wait until we can finally replace him with someone that can actually cover and doesn't panic when the ball is in the air. However, it is season 1 under Reich and Co. and upgrading/replacing every single position in one offseason is borderline impossible to do. Gotta roll with what we got.

Onto the Regular Season!!!!

I don't really get why people like what they saw from Dalton. He was terrible. He threw a hospital ball that could've gotten Shi killed. He threw a short pass to Thomas before Ian could get his head around. He threw a short pass to Thomas well behind the line in a ton of traffic that he should've thrown into the ground. And the worst thing that he did was basically telegraph an INT by making an awful decision. He did Andy Dalton things, similar to what he's done the past few years and why he has become a bounced-around journeyman. He's too experienced to be playing this sub par.

• Pie 7

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't really get why people like what they saw from Dalton. He was terrible. He threw a hospital ball that could've gotten Shi killed. He threw a short pass to Thomas before Ian could get his head around. He threw a short pass to Thomas well behind the line in a ton of traffic that he should've thrown into the ground. And the worst thing that he did was basically telegraph an INT by making an awful decision. He did Andy Dalton things, similar to what he's done the past few years and why he has become a bounced-around journeyman. He's too experienced to be playing this sub par.

It wasn't perfect by any means but he did drive the offense down the field into the redzone and while the INT wasn't good I feel like the defender just made a great play on the ball. He was lined up in man and was able to look into the back field at the top of the route and make the play. The play before that Dalton threw a really nice pass to Ian Thomas (who is so incredibly bad at catching the ball) a better TE probably catches that for a TD. It was also Daltons first action of the preseason so seeing him get a solid drive in is mostly what I was referring too. If he completes one of those balls for a TD we probably aren't having this conversation

• Pie 4

18 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

It wasn't perfect by any means but he did drive the offense down the field into the redzone and while the INT wasn't good I feel like the defender just made a great play on the ball. He was lined up in man and was able to look into the back field at the top of the route and make the play. The play before that Dalton threw a really nice pass to Ian Thomas (who is so incredibly bad at catching the ball) a better TE probably catches that for a TD. It was also Daltons first action of the preseason so seeing him get a solid drive in is mostly what I was referring too. If he completes one of those balls for a TD we probably aren't having this conversation

My thoughts as well. He played like a backup QB. That's what he's here for. I trust him to win me 1 out of two games if the starter goes down. He's a known commodity and we brought him in more for what he can do to support Bryce, not start for us.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

My thoughts as well. He played like a backup QB. That's what he's here for. I trust him to win me 1 out of two games if the starter goes down. He's a known commodity and we brought him in more for what he can do to support Bryce, not start for us.

Exactly reminds me a lot of what DA was for us. Not a world better by any means but solid enough to win a game or two in a pinch if we need him. If he's asked to play multiple games in a row then yea we're probably screwed.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Luciu5 said:

I feel for Matt Corral. I feel he did well in the pocket, good decision making, good scramble ability, but his accuracy is so goddamn awful. If he could just put the ball in the same zip code as his receivers he wouldn't be a bad qb.

Kind of an important trait for an NFL QB 

3 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

I feel for Matt Corral. I feel he did well in the pocket, good decision making, good scramble ability, but his accuracy is so goddamn awful. If he could just put the ball in the same zip code as his receivers he wouldn't be a bad qb.

I get what you are saying but we must be careful not to exaggerate things. Also we don’t know the full picture.

Outside of one throw that looked 2-3 yards behind the receiver, most of his incompletions were passes that hit the receivers hands, but in a poor location, forcing the receiver to adjust their body. Bad day? Lacked chemistry with receivers? Probably both to some degree. 

And the prior two games he completed 68%. Now completion percentage is a Teddy Bridgewater stat, and doesn’t mean much to me, but it is indicative of a QB who, indeed IS putting the ball in “the same zip code as his receivers.”

• Pie 1