• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers and Brian Burns not at all close to extension

TheSpecialJuan

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, there are basically two groups IMO on that. 

Group A - says the Panthers are in a full blown rebuild

Group B- says we aren't. 

I'm group A.  Which makes not taking that trade mind numbing.   I mean, you can't trade literally every human in a legit rebuild.  But you certainly take fantastic offers.  Rebuilding still requires certain foundational aspects to exist.  Because you can't groom Young up if you are complete trash.  It would just be never ending bad positions he is always in.  So you need some defensive guys for example.  Because you don't want your D to be league worst as you build Bryce up.  Because he will always been in bad spots and playing from behind.  You still need guys to help show everyone how it's done. 

I just feel the it's not a rebuild crowd's justification of why we aren't' a rebuild....means there is no such thing as a rebuild if applied elsewhere. 

Agreed. I think it was a missed opportunity that we will all look back on with regret. Burns is a sexy young piece, but he has been one dimensional. He isn’t worth 30 million and those 2 firsts are going to be high picks. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, Martin said:

Agree on the Burns thing. As you turned down the trade (I’m kind of ok with that) there should have been a plan in place to sign Burns long term. Being 2 days away from kickoff and it still being unresolved is unacceptable.

However, losing faith in your GM for a trade up in the third round is wild. 

Not the trade up necessarily more so the panic behind the Corral and Johnson trades. Both weren't done necessarily because of the quality of the player but rather there had been a run on the position and he thought we were going to get left with nothing. Corral has already been cut and we've yet to see what DJ brings. 

So apparently Burns’ agent is Todd France who is apparently well known for being difficult to work with during negotiations. It looks like he left CAA and started his own group. He also represents Dak Prescott, Harold Landry, Grady Jarrett, Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, and Justin Simmons. 

For those unaware, Prescott still has yet to sign an extension despite negotiations going on for a while.  Here are some recent contracts he has negotiated. 

Grady Jarrett DT- 3yr/ 50 million (2022)
Justin Simmons- S 4yr/ 61 million (2021)

Josh Allen-QB 6yr/ 258 million (2021)

Tremaine Edmunds-LB 4yr/72 million (2023)

Harold Landry- LB 5yr/ 87 million (2022)

I think Burns' career trajectory (based on his stats thus far, his availability, and his pass rush style) is a Robert Mathis/John Abraham/Terrell Suggs type of player.  Which is well worth the money, IMO.  Those guys are all probably consensus Top 50 pass rushers in NFL history - their year to year production didn't generally blow anyone away (mostly in the 10-12 sacks per season range) but they were damn consistent and didn't miss much time, which yielded very productive NFL careers.  I'd be happy with that from Burns.

• Pie 4

3 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, if the primary focus is and should be about growing your #1 overall QB.....I'd rather have Moore.  

What the most important thing in Carolina right now? How many wins you squeak out or how good you can get Bryce Young going? 

You weren’t getting Bryce without giving up another player or another first. I’d like the first over a “good” receiver. I’m not hating on DJ Moore, but he never had that thing that the elite WR have.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

You weren’t getting Bryce without giving up another player or another first. I’d like the first over a “good” receiver. I’m not hating on DJ Moore, but he never had that thing that the elite WR have.

Nope. He doesn't have that dog in him. Easily erased by a decent corner.

It was also reported the Bears wanted Moore and any future draft pick etc. would not have gotten the deal done so I don't know in what fantasy world DJ Moore and Bryce Young would be playing together.

Edited by therealmjl

4 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

When Burns signs his new deal we can celebrate together.

We have a homegrown star DE. I think we should keep him. We traded enough star talent already. Now you got people on tv saying they can't name a player on our roster because we traded them all. You need stars on your roster.

That’s all fine. I’m just saying the team can choose not to pay him what he wants, they will still be just fine in the future for it. That $ can go towards other good players. 

3 minutes ago, Rubi said:

That’s all fine. I’m just saying the team can choose not to pay him what he wants, they will still be just fine in the future for it. That $ can go towards other good players. 

Well if that were the case, then why the hell did they not just trade him for the 2 1st rounders then? Make no mistake, if Burns does not get a new contract, we will be having new people in that front office.

• Poo 1

9 minutes ago, Castavar said:

Well if that were the case, then why the hell did they not just trade him for the 2 1st rounders then? Make no mistake, if Burns does not get a new contract, we will be having new people in that front office.

Im confident a deal will get done for that very reason. They turned down 2 1st round picks. The intention was always to sign him to a longterm deal. 

Honestly wouldn't be shocked if the deal is done later today or tomorrow. Burns seems like he's ready to play so a deal must not be that far apart.

While I still feel optimistic that a deal will get done (because it basically has to if you’re Fitterer) the main thing I’m taking away from this whole ordeal is that it’s largely a result of the FO not being proactive and dragging their feet to get this done. 

Fitt didn’t seem to have any urgency to get this done in the spring and they allowed stuff to drag into the season now. Idc about them not trading him last season, it’s just about how non-chalant they’re been about being proactive and getting this done before this point. 

I think Burns will play the games but if they don’t get it done by Sunday that’s a big missed opportunity imo.