• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers and Brian Burns not at all close to extension

TheSpecialJuan

2 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

What’s stopping him from holding out in 3 years time if contacts keep going up? Can’t just keep bending over backwards for players that are on contract 

That's literally how the sport works though

Are you saying because he might blow up over the next 3 years and thus be able to hold out again and demand more money, you don't want to re-sign him right now?

Maybe one of the craziest arguments I've ever heard.  He might be so good that we have to do this again in 3 years, so let's just avoid having 3 years of his great play so we don't have to deal with that.

You do realize that you're basically saying there is no point to ever signing good players out of fear of them holding out at some point, right?

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

That's literally how the sport works though

Are you saying because he might blow up over the next 3 years and thus be able to hold out again and demand more money, you don't want to re-sign him right now?

Maybe one of the craziest arguments I've ever heard.  He might be so good that we have to do this again in 3 years, so let's just avoid having 3 years of his great play so we don't have to deal with that.

You do realize that you're basically saying there is no point to ever signing good players out of fear of them holding out at some point, right?

Has he blown up enough now to demand TJ Watt money or more? Don’t think so. You’re happy for the side to cuckold themselves for Burns next it will be Brown and so on. And no I don’t want us to never sign good players what I don’t want is good players to try and hold my team ransom for elite money. 

If he wants elite money pull the offer let him play out his contract see how he looks in the new scheme. If he blows up pay him elite won’t be much different to what he wants now. Plus the team has franchise tags and trading him in their back pocket 

5 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of

You'd rather give up yet another first round pick to get to pay $30 million (and thus likely not able to pay Brown at the same position next year) over just paying that $30 million to Burns and then still keeping our 2025 first round pick and then able to re-sign Brown?

That's basically taking Chris Jones over Burns (who is 4 years younger), Brown, and a 2025 First (remember we don't have our 2nd that year anymore either)

We would still sign Brown. Pressure comes less from the initial quick move around the OT. QBs rarely take even 5 step drops these days which makes you have to go through the OT as opposed to around. Plays come out quick now, and even if you beat the OT around the outside the QB is deep in the pocket and any reasonably mobile QB can easily escape. Most sacks come from DBs covering the initial two reads of the QB causing the ball stay in the QBs hands, and it’s the D-lineman who can win on the second move that are there to sack the QB. Burns plays a position that doesn’t cause as much destruction to modern offenses. 

Having D. Brown and Chris Jones on our D-Line plus Jaycee Horn is a better plan for the next 5 years.

20 hours ago, Castavar said:

Well if that were the case, then why the hell did they not just trade him for the 2 1st rounders then? Make no mistake, if Burns does not get a new contract, we will be having new people in that front office.

That decision is a big fat red letter on their face right now 

2 hours ago, Icege said:

TJ Watt's $28M was signed in September 2021 when the NFL salary cap was $182.5M. That $28M/yr avg was 15% of the cap.

If Brian Burns gets signed to a $28M/yr avg in 2023 when the salary cap is $224.8M that would account for 12.5% of the cap.

Paying Burns $28M/yr is not as impactful to the team as it was to the Steelers when TJ Watt signed his deal. Comparing the two is being willfully dismissive of the important detail that the cap today is over $40M more today.

Solid point. Thanks for the breakdown. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Icege said:

TJ Watt's $28M was signed in September 2021 when the NFL salary cap was $182.5M. That $28M/yr avg was 15% of the cap.

If Brian Burns gets signed to a $28M/yr avg in 2023 when the salary cap is $224.8M that would account for 12.5% of the cap.

Paying Burns $28M/yr is not as impactful to the team as it was to the Steelers when TJ Watt signed his deal. Comparing the two is being willfully dismissive of the important detail that the cap today is over $40M more today.

I was already okay with giving him 28-30 before this, hadn't realized how much the cap had really risen since Watt's deal, this makes it seem even more of a no brainer to give him the money.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Gerry Green said:

People going nuts over 3mil. What can you get for that? It's not enough to bring in a top shelf player, but it's enough to send a lot of Huddlers into a rage. Damm I love this place.

And for what in the grand scheme of things? Given the same period of time, the salary cap in 2025 is projected to be $282M. That's a $57.2M increase compared to $42.3M increase that took place between 2021 and 2023. That's almost $15M more.

Just pay the man up to $28M. He might push for $30M, and if that's the difference between losing him to free agency and locking him down for the next 4yrs just pay it. If he's asking for Bosa money though, there's a million arguments against it. Getting $2M-4M less average value? Sounds like a win-win.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Icege said:

And for what in the grand scheme of things? Given the same period of time, the salary cap in 2025 is projected to be $282M. That's a $57.2M increase compared to $42.3M increase that took place between 2021 and 2023. That's almost $15M more.

Just pay the man up to $28M. He might push for $30M, and if that's the difference between losing him to free agency and locking him down for the next 4yrs just pay it. If he's asking for Bosa money though, there's a million arguments against it. Getting $2M-4M less average value? Sounds like a win-win.

Sometimes the Huddle really does confuse me. Is there really that much difference between 27mil and 30mil to talk this much trash about one of our best players? Who actually wants to be here? I truly believe most of these folks would argue about anything. Whether they believe it or not. It's like a sport for them. lol

1 hour ago, Gerry Green said:

People going nuts over 3mil. What can you get for that? It's not enough to bring in a top shelf player, but it's enough to send a lot of Huddlers into a rage. Damm I love this place.

It’s about guaranteed money.  And that’s not a 3 mill squabble.  Bosa doubled what top tier pass rushers like Burns have been getting.  That’s a 60+ million guaranteed difference