• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jaycee Horn expected to miss multiple weeks

jamos14

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

People need to stop calling Horn a dud

When on the field, he's played like a Top 10 corner

Nobody can predict injuries in the NFL unless they already struggled to stay healthy in college, something that wasn't an issue with Horn.

I get being upset that so many others in that range are turning into stars, but this is just a bad luck situation much more than just a bad pick.  If he sucked when on the field, then yes, it would have been just a bad pick, but that's not the case here.

We should have picked parsons. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Yes, I agree, always liked the phrase of "the best ability is availability"

But too many people are trying to blame Fitterer for taking Horn over those other guys who are all blowing up.  I'm not saying Fitterer hasn't done a bunch of things that deserve questioning and criticism, but this pick isn't one of them.

There are tons of first round picks that stay healthy and are still busts, those are the ones where it's fair to be upset at your GM for taking them over other better players.  But not for someone who has performed at an elite level when on the field but just keeps getting hurt, those are just unfortunate picks that didn't work out for the team, but not a bad pick.

Bottom line, if Horn has stayed healthy, people might have wished we took Surtain, Parsons, or Smith over him, but I don't think people would be upset with Horn the player, and that's a key difference to me.

Horn when healthy is only on par with Surtain.  Many draftniks had Surtain higher.  I believe Horn was the first D player off the board.  How many more games does JC Hurt have to miss before we can call it a bust?

9 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

We should have picked parsons. 

No, this is the worst revisionist history take about that draft, by all teams who look back on it.

Parsons was NOT viewed as a pass rusher coming into the draft, he was a MLB and only even shifted to OLB because of injuries and then he was so good at that, that he's now become a legit DE/OLB pass rusher only.  Taking a MLB at 8 who had just taken the previous season off (due to covid) and had other questions about his NFL potential would have been irresponsible.  Hell, a lot of people felt Kuechly was taken way too high at #9 for a MLB, and he was a significantly better college player than Parsons ever was (Kuechly literally had the same amount of tackles in his last collegiate season that Parsons had in his career, 191).

This isn't the case of a player just over performing their draft expectations, it's someone who essentially is playing an entirely different position than anyone ever expected.  If teams saw this pass rushing ability from him, he goes at worst #3 in the draft and quite possibly #2 over Wilson.

He's an entirely unique case when looking back at the draft, and one I can't come up with a good comparison for.  Best comparison would be more like if a team took an RB who was forced to play WR due to injuries and was so good there that he became a Top 3 WR in the entire league.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2

6 hours ago, therealmjl said:

That's an interesting take. I had no idea that your hamstring was located in your ankle.

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-cb-jaycee-horn-to-miss-rest-of-otas-minicamp-with-left-ankle-injury

Yep

ive had two knee replacements and the worst part  post surgery is keeping those hamstrings stretched…for the rest of your life 

6 hours ago, NAS said:

I never understood being angry with a player for getting injured in a game or practice.  Kid works hard, just has terrible luck so far

I have had the thought recently that maybe he is working out too hard. 

Perhaps it's one of these scenarios where he isn't managing his rest as well as he is going hard in training.

Zero clue just a random theory.

3 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Yes, I agree, always liked the phrase of "the best ability is availability"

But too many people are trying to blame Fitterer for taking Horn over those other guys who are all blowing up.  I'm not saying Fitterer hasn't done a bunch of things that deserve questioning and criticism, but this pick isn't one of them.

There are tons of first round picks that stay healthy and are still busts, those are the ones where it's fair to be upset at your GM for taking them over other better players.  But not for someone who has performed at an elite level when on the field but just keeps getting hurt, those are just unfortunate picks that didn't work out for the team, but not a bad pick.

Bottom line, if Horn has stayed healthy, people might have wished we took Surtain, Parsons, or Smith over him, but I don't think people would be upset with Horn the player, and that's a key difference to me.

Kevin White is considered a giga bust for the bears just due to injuries. Greg Oden is considered one of the biggest busts in NBA history and when you look him up its because he was always injured.

You can't play for your team for whatever reason, you are a bust. Jut how it is in the sports world. And Horn is a bust.

Edited by Sean Payton's Vicodin
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Kevin White is considered a giga bust for the bears just due to injuries. Greg Oden is considered one of the biggest busts in NBA history and when you look him up its because he was always injured.

You can't play for your team for whatever reason, you are a bust. Jut how it is in the sports world. And Horn is a bust.

I get it, but my original post on this was really more meant to be in regards to the people who keep getting upset at Fitterer for taking Horn instead of those guys, and more that it was a bust of a selection than the player themselves.

Oden also is a little different as Durant was there and I think people knew Oden was a walking injury risk at the time, something Horn was not.

5 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Kevin White is a gigabust because he was never any good at football for the Bears.

3 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Yep. You can be a bust because of injuries. Horn is really, really good when he plays. So was Greg Oden like you said. 

Horn is getting hurt in the off season, in practice, during games with zero contact just running, not looking good long term for him.