• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Root of all the offensive woes

NAS

I mostly agree. 

The Chargers won today with 28 points and their leading rusher was 11 carries for 12 yards. They averaged 2 yards per carry today. 

Texans won averaging 3.3 a carry. 

It’s mostly the same line from last year but we swapped Sanders for Foreman. Could be scheme. Could be teams in week 1-2 loading the box to dare us to beat them throwing. 

They screwed the pooch with Sanders. Wilks used C.Mayes as a full back for Foreman and Hubbard. It really helped the Oline out. gave the backs the lead blocking they needed. Trying to fix something that wasn't broken is the first mistake. Wilks would run first and establish the run to facilitate the pass.

They blew the whole thing up and killed the running game. Killed the running game, while choosing a rookie QB at #1.....with no running game.

One stupid move after another

Edited by Jmac
  • Pie 7
  • Beer 1

Just now, NAS said:

Strong argument, why not just scheme according to their strengths, look at the tape from last year and introduce the same concepts 

Yeah, and honestly, why not keep Foreman and that same scheme/blueprint in place from last year and saved money from the Sanders' signing because a strong run game is a QBs best friend...  That would've been ideal for Bryce coming in.  And now Dalton too...  it really opens up the passes.  But nope...  these dumbasses even said they were experimenting with different blocking schemes throughout the preseason, when we already saw what they did in the last few weeks last season.  Sadly, looks like they're still experimenting now.

Everything is connected.

O-line can't run block anymore

Offense isn't productive on 1st or second down

Offense is in too many 3rd and long situations

O-line can't protect on 3rd and long

Receivers cannot separate

Rinse repeat

Factor in questionable play calling and the inability to get chunk plays and it just one big recipe for disaster. 

• Pie 3

Everything that could go wrong with the offense, is going wrong.

The issue I have with Reich and other conservative schemes is its predicated on never making mistakes.

Rivera has the same issue. His scheme cant compensate for playing from behind.

I dont understand how these philosophies were ever useful.

15 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

You can't ask Andy Dalton to throw the ball 58 times and expect to win.  Frank gave up on running the ball way too early.  Chuba Hubbard had 1 carry.

it would be one thing if they were down the whole game but we were literally leading at HT and got the ball to come out of the half. Pathetic from Reich. Had the same problem in Indy, never ran the ball and he had one of the best backs in the entire league.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Frank is calling plays for players he doesn't have. 

The thing I least understand is what was he protecting in preseason? 
I expected a newly designed fun offense with a ton of motion, a point guard in the center of it distributing the ball. That’s pretty much what we were promised.  

I have not seen anything that is remotely interesting. I do think the qb is giving up on plays, panicking I think. Jet out of that pocket, throw it ob or get tackled. So maybe that is hiding this great offense they have designed but I really think it is all a bunch of emperor’s new clothes and there is no new design of anything. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

How can he say the run game wasn't working when he only gave Chuba 1 carry in the first half? Maybe Miles wasn't running well but Chuba will at least hit the line full speed. He was forcing Miles up the middle and only giving Chuba screen passes. Backwards poo

Hubbard’s 1 carry was at the end of the 3rd quarter 

his first last week was in the 4th

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Hubbard’s 1 carry was at the end of the 3rd quarter 

his first last week was in the 4th

Yeah they threw him one screen coming in cold off the bench in the first half. Like who thinks that's a great idea. He runs north and south full speed, he doesn't catch screens and shake corners