• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Personal Side (for those interested)

Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot,

Please message me.  I tried to message you but apparently I'm not allowed.  I'm an older guy as well who has long been sick and tired of online culture and the constant knee jerk reactions of many.  I'll love to be able to still hear you opinions of the Panthers even if just through email or gameday chats.

Despite my post count I've been here on the Huddle almost since it began.  I first began reading about Panthers new when the Charlotte Observer had a place to post, then I think I branched out to here and this board rocks.  I've been through a few accounts as I lose a password or go through long periods of not visiting.

Your insight and posts on the Panthers have always been one that I really appreciate and enjoy reading and I'd love to stay in contact.

If not, then I understand.  Enjoy your retirement and good luck in you and your wife's health.

Keep Pounding and go Panthers!

Not that I or anyone else cares, but you def tip toe around insulting people. It’s the smugness that rubs people the wrong way.  
i made a serious thread I think week 2-3 where it was painfully obvious Reich was gonna be one and done and requested some info on some up and coming coordinators and you insulted me and ruined the thread. It certainly appears my initial observations were on the money  

• Pie 4
  • Poo 2

Man, I hope things smooth our for yourself and the Lady. Make the most of the time and enjoy it. I'm about the same age and my health isn't anywhere near where it should be, so I understand.

And yeah, I'm just hanging on here by my fingernails with coming back to The Huddle. The last few years have changed things a lot for the team and it has caused some souring here. Or maybe it's just me. I don't have the optimism I used to when it comes to the team. It's my team but every week has been like watching someone kick your favorite dog. Then we all come on here and relive it and fight about it. It's not healthy.

I'm going to truly miss your posts, man. I've learned a lot about football reading what you've written. You've been the Dr. Z of the Huddle for years. Well done man and well missed you'll be.

• Pie 3

Hopefully you still make some casual posts from time to time on here as it's good to hear your input.  Best of wishes to your and your family.  I hope you enjoy your retirement and get some good news on the whole health situation.  

Also @4Corners trying to tell another poster they "rub people the wrong way" is the most ironic thing I've read in a while.  

• Pie 3
  • Flames 4

Condolences for your loss.

Seems like dialogue here is too heavy for some. At the end of the day it is only words on a screen. And the state of the team since our new owner tookover has created what seems like a constant downward spiral. The discourse as a result has and will continue to be contentious at best at times. It sucks but that's the predicament and it isn't going to change relatively soon. If anything on his board has anyone here questioning what they're actually doing in life then I wish them the best of luck going forward and finding peace.

• Pie 1

I've sworn off the Huddle twice before, one of those times approximately four years in duration.  It has it's ebbs and flows.  One instance where I quit posting was a time when the personal attacks went nearly unchecked by mods and another instance where a mod (long since gone) and I got into it.   During good times this place isn't too bad, but times like this, it gets pretty intolerable.

As long as mods doesn't pick favorites and keeps the personal attacks in check by poo flinging posters, I'll continue to linger around...for now.

Enjoy your retirement Mr. Scot.

• Pie 2

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Now that I've written about the team. The other question is what about me?

For those who are interested, here's my story, one I'll start off by setting the record straight...

Yes, I got pretty pissed off at a conversation with a mod, partially because I didn't say what I was accused of saying but also because despite requests for further discussion and clarification, the mod in question stopped responding to me at all. Others were unreachable, but the one other with whom I did still have some communication understood what I was saying (appreciated that).

Mind you, I've had discussions with mods before, been willing to admit when I was wrong and able to continue without issue. I've also had (sometimes contentious) discussions with other posters, but generally found it possible to reconcile with the reasonable ones.

This particular event came at a bad time though..

During the week in question, I was shuttling Lady Cowboy Fan back and forth to the emergency room on pretty much a daily basis and I was tired as hell. That, combined with the general mood of things left me ready to not just leave, but to ask that any and all previous content I had written here be erased.

I've had a chance since then to reflect and consider things.

Have I changed my mind?

Partially.

While I'm no longer requesting to have all previous content deleted, I'm also not planning to continue being a regular contributor here. 

The general mood of things is part of it. I get the argument that the team being bad means the fanbase is angry, but the reality is that there's a difference between angry and just plain silly. A pretty solid portion of the discussion right now is on the wrong side of that line. And yes, that includes some of the people who are responsible for moderating content. 

On top of that, you've got some folks who revel in things being terrible. If you've ever read "The Plague" by Albert Camus, you might remember a character by the name of Cottard. He was basically a small time thief and a nobody before the proverbial plague started but rose in prominence while it was going on. When it was over, he went back to being nobody and as a result, missed the terrible atmosphere of the plague.

The Huddle certainly has its fair share of Cottards, people who've got nothing of any value or worth to say when things are good but want to be all over the place shouting from the rooftops and beating their chests when everything goes sour.

(this is true in real life too, but that's a separate discussion)

For the record, these things (and others) are why several others have expressed to me that they're abandoning the Huddle as well. I won't attempt to speak for them, but one of the common concerns is that when the vast majority of discussion goes no deeper than "everything sucks, fire everybody" and anyone who tries to say otherwise gets shouted down by the doom and gloomers or attacked by the Cottards, it just isn't fun.

Fun and diversion were really the only reasons to come here. I never came here for the purpose of bolstering my ego (definitely came to the wrong place if that was the purpose) but rather because I enjoy discussing football, particularly Panthers football. Yes, even when the team was bad.

But it's not fun right now, and it isn't really a diversion either.

Nor is that diversion needed as much as it used to be.

In the early part of this year I retired, and that with my own health concerns being a big part of the reason why. Previously, a lot of my posting was done while I had free time at work. 

Now, free time is all I have.

And while Lady Cowboy Fan is still working, it still means that there's more time for us, our pets and our family.

I realized over the last few weeks that I was still spending a lot of time on the Huddle just out of habit, but that was cutting into other activities which would have been time better spent.

So for that reason more than anything else, I'm not going to be here on any sort of regular basis... and quite possibly not much at all. 

Bottom Line, for what it's worth: the reason I decided to leave in the first place isn't the reason I decided to stay gone.

On a positive note, Lady Cowboy Fan and I have purchased tickets to this year's Panthers Cowboys game. It'll be the first regular season game either of us have attended, and her first chance to see her favorite team in person. We're both excited about that.

There is, however, the possibility that it might not happen. Both of us have health concerns, and the prospect of spending an entire day out like that is a bit daunting for us. 

We're both hoping, but it's not guaranteed.

Beyond that though, I'm just hoping to see the team I've cheered for since its inception to finally turn the corner.

My mother died at age 61. My brother made it just a few days past his 62nd birthday before he passed. I share a similar health profile to the two of them and I'm currently 56. Meanwhile, Lady Cowboy Fan is in her late 40s s but has had a heart condition since her 20s as well as other health concerns since, many of which have manifested themselves over the past year or so.

So with that in mind, and no longer being burdened with having to work 40 hours a week, I want to prioritize the right things.

Talking on the internet isn't one of them.

So while this may not exactly be a firm goodbye for me, it is notice of a rather significant stepping away. Not from the team of course, but from the Huddle.

I bear no one any ill will in this (internet discussion isn't important enough for that). It's not an emotional decision. It's just what I feel is the right one.

So for the online friends that I've made, best wishes . For the fun discussions that we've had, thanks. And to all Panthers fans on the Huddle and everywhere else, one simple message...

Keep pounding.

I can relate to everything you've said @Mr. Scot. My experiences on the forum have brought me to the realization that the Huddle is no longer a place for me.

As a fellow long standing member here I want to thank you personally for all the contributions you have made to this joint over the many years we have been here together. The bs you've had to deal with by others here is unwarranted and ridiculous. So i do not blame you for leaving. I am spending a lot less time here for largely the same reasons. I'm one foot out the door myself. 

And I'm sorry to hear about the health issues you and your significant other is having. I hope all those things clear themselves up for the better. 

Keep Pounding my friend. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1